Author Topic: Grading Feature Line from Corridor (C3D)  (Read 1906 times)

surveyor_randy

Grading Feature Line from Corridor (C3D)
« on: November 28, 2007, 09:57:12 AM »
Pardon my ignorance...  Could someone please explain to me the benefit (for Surveyors) of being able to create a feature line from a corridor?  I'd appreciate it.  Thanks!

sinc

Re: Grading Feature Line from Corridor (C3D)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 11:29:38 AM »
Do you mean extract a featureline from a corridor?

I haven't yet run across a need to extract a featureline from a corridor.  But sometimes your corridor surface will be incorrect if you generate it from just links.  You can also generate a corridor surface from the featurelines, or use a combination of links and featurelines.  With some corridors, you can create a surface from just links and get a bunch of garbage, but as soon as you add even a single featureline to the surface definition, the surface looks great.

surveyor_randy

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 04:04:20 PM »
Thanks for the reply Sinc.  Me either.  I have extracted polylines from the corridor for stake points then pulled the elevations from the surface but haven't figured out anything useful to do with extracted feature lines yet.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 06:27:00 PM »
the extracted feature lines are an alternate method of extending the corridor deign grading onto adjacent lots, should you not want to include that in the corridor itself
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sinc

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 12:37:06 PM »
Ah, I remember seeing something about that, just haven't done it yet.  I believe that's the main reason they added the "Omit daylight link" option to a number of the subassemblies.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 01:26:49 PM »
The OMIT link option is there for those instances one wants to use the link as a 'place holder' to get other sub assemblies to the proper location; only you don't need the link for any other purpose.  As in the case of using the link offset and slope within an assembly for modeling medians.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/