Author Topic: draw order or draw order?  (Read 7396 times)

Bethrine

draw order or draw order?
« on: October 27, 2007, 12:21:25 PM »
1.) I have been looking at open CAD positions and see a lot of "must understand draw order". What exactly are they looking for with this? I understand there is a command for manipulating what is on top of what, is this what they want me to understand in application of a drafting standard here? (been looking at threads for "draw order" here and it is looking ...fun) Or is there a process from start to finish that is standard procedure?

2.) What is the order? (if applicable)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: draw order or draw order?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 12:40:05 PM »
Excellent question!  Only I don't see an easy answer to it without speaking to the person(s) placing the help wanted ad.  One might infer from this that they have had mixed results hiring their cadd technicians and are attempting to gauge ability or aptitude by inserting this phrase.  Most likely this problem has cropped up because Human Resources, or CAD Manager, or principal doing the hiring doesn't know or understand CAD take your pick.  So they attempting to weed out applicant using a flawed metric.

Perhaps one should respond to said ad with your own question, i.e.
"By Draw Order, do you mean the autocad command that stacks objects within the drawing space on the same plane, or the Order of Operations for their particular industry, or standard of practice?"

If one is new to a particular industry the last expectation seems unrealistic.  If their question is "can this user actually use a simple cad command?" their test is flawed.  See Above.  It might appear that they don't know how to review CAD candidates, the source of their problem, and they are trying to solve it in the same manner that created the problem.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

CADaver

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 01:01:43 PM »
I'm with Michael on this one.  You say you've seen a lot of this in ads?? hmmm...

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 04:31:29 PM »
Too  funny.
One shot Draw order attempt;
1) Don't start drawing without a clear description of what is reqd. from your supervisor.
2) Draw the big things first.
3) Adjust the SortentsTable to display objects in the required order using the Draworder command and refedit command if reqd.
4) Submit dwg to supervisor for advice/ redlines.
5) Finish redlines.
6) Spend a couple of days trying to readjust the draworder, when the problem was really a printer problem.
7) Go on to next project trying not to think about the total redesign you'll be doing after the client has seen your drawing.

Bethrine

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 02:29:44 PM »
Too  funny.
One shot Draw order attempt;
1) Don't start drawing without a clear description of what is reqd. from your supervisor.
2) Draw the big things first.
3) Adjust the SortentsTable to display objects in the required order using the Draworder command and refedit command if reqd.
4) Submit dwg to supervisor for advice/ redlines.
5) Finish redlines.
6) Spend a couple of days trying to readjust the draworder, when the problem was really a printer problem.
7) Go on to next project trying not to think about the total redesign you'll be doing after the client has seen your drawing.

I see you understood my question!   :-D

Bethrine

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 03:21:25 PM »
I'm with Michael on this one.  You say you've seen a lot of this in ads?? hmmm...

I went looking for examples and now I can't find any, but I know I have seen it more than once. I have been using the Sunday paper too, so I may have seen it there. The other term I thought was similar is "drawing heirarchy" which makes me think they want the pages in the right order?

LE

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 03:56:37 PM »
The other term I thought was similar is "drawing heirarchy" which makes me think they want the pages in the right order?

'drawing hierarchy'

It is to know how to represent the planes of a volume (in a 2D drawing) by giving a hierarchy or in technical drafting terms, know about pen weight's to represent what it is in front or behind - like when you use a heavy line in the wall lines (floor/plan view). HTH

Josh Nieman

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 04:28:50 PM »
The other term I thought was similar is "drawing heirarchy" which makes me think they want the pages in the right order?

'drawing hierarchy'

It is to know how to represent the planes of a volume (in a 2D drawing) by giving a hierarchy or in technical drafting terms, know about pen weight's to represent what it is in front or behind - like when you use a heavy line in the wall lines (floor/plan view). HTH

Thanks for that, LE... I was actually a bit unsure what the term applied to.  Glad to know I can say that yes, I do understand it, now, haha.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 04:41:45 PM »
Me thinks "Drawing HIERARCHY"  would actually relate to ADT, and the concept of creating the building Constructs, and then adding them to the proper floors within the building model. And then creating your section views.

Such that a multi-unit condominium would be made of of many floors, each a combination of the standard unit floorplan constructs.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 07:29:28 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

LE

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 04:49:11 PM »
"Drawing HIERARCHY"

I'll wait for Bethrine to mention, about where that was taken.

In architecture, that refers to what I said in my previous post :)

LE

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 04:55:43 PM »
Thanks for that, LE... I was actually a bit unsure what the term applied to.  Glad to know I can say that yes, I do understand it, now, haha.

You are welcome, Josh.

That term, I hear it in all my design classes for 5 years.... (unless, Bethrine is referring to something else, will see)

sinc

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 11:18:58 AM »
When I hear "Drawing Hierarchy", it makes me think "how to use XREFs"...

It does strike me that if it can be interpreted in so many different ways, it may not be a good term to use in an ad...

Bethrine

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 12:04:26 AM »
"Drawing HIERARCHY"

I don't remember. It was in the paper I think, I will look for it again this Sunday. :-(
I am feeling better about being confused with all the other posts though.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 12:08:56 AM by Bethrine »

Bethrine

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 01:52:05 PM »
"Drawing HIERARCHY"

I don't remember. It was in the paper I think, I will look for it again this Sunday. :-(
I am feeling better about being confused with all the other posts though.

Sorry, I couldn't find it. I'll pay more attention in the future :doa: .

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 08:02:04 PM »
I was googling drawing hierarchy  and found this pitch. yada yada
provides comprehensive security, control and revision management over all types of product data, creating document links and structure management (full assembly and drawing hierarchy support), bi-directional drawing attribute mapping and automatic data synchronization, automatic tracking of “Where Used” and “Composed of” relationships and reference maintenance.

What a mouthful, if this was all I had to go on I'ld say don't bother with the interview, these people probably call problems "little challenges", which makes it difficult to trust anything they say.

Bethrine

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 11:20:32 PM »
When I hear "Drawing Hierarchy", it makes me think "how to use XREFs"...

It does strike me that if it can be interpreted in so many different ways, it may not be a good term to use in an ad...

Hahaha!  :lmao: NOW I understand the above quote! <giggle>