Author Topic: Basic font for ALL border text  (Read 24297 times)

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
Re: Basic font for ALL border text
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2007, 05:38:30 PM »
I can post the SHP file if you want to see how to program fonts.

yes please
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2007, 05:38:45 PM »
What problems have TTF's caused?  I haven't noticed, and I want to make sure I'm totally aware of anything we're doing that could cause problems... BEFORE they happen to us.

I think the issue with them is when there is ALOT of text in a drawing.  For a simple titleblock not much of a performance hit, just annoying that they have to be installed to be seen.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 05:40:46 PM by ronjonp »

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2007, 05:39:01 PM »
For us, if you do not put a copy of the TTF in the acad\fonts folder, they dont work
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 05:40:12 PM by CmdrDuh »
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2007, 05:40:05 PM »
I can post the SHP file if you want to see how to program fonts.

yes please
Hey Seven, look here
have fun
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2007, 05:42:01 PM »
For us, if you do not put a copy of the TTF in the acad\fonts folder, they dont work

Does this work with TTF as well. I thought this was only the case for SHX?

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2007, 05:43:58 PM »
The shx files are there by default, but around release 2002 I think, we went to Verdana.TTF for Bold fonts, and if we didn't add it to the folder, it just wouldn't work.  I have been adding it to the folder every upgrade since just to speed up rollout of new software.  I dont know if it is a requirement or not

CADaver

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2007, 06:56:46 PM »
*gotten as far as MPs 2 cents so far*

Agree with MP, dont use TTF's if you can help it. Avoid them like the plague if you can.

*going back to reading*
Gotta go with Michael, John and others here.  We use ONLY romans and romand <period>.  Saves headaches, but then I still have scars from the SIMPFRAC.SHX insanity. 

Anybody else remember the lowercase QWERTY keys for stacked fractions??  In the mid eighties, CADence magazine had an article on how to make custom font stacked fractions redefining the lower case letters.  Well, one company started with a lower case "Q" as a sixteenth moving up with sixteenth inch increments, another started with a thirty-second and moved up in thirty-second inch increments.  In one a lower case "G" was fifteen-sixteenths, in the other it was fifteen-thirty-seconds.  Both used SIMPFRAC for the font file name.  Care to guess how those phone calls went??

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »
Well, the issues with TT fonts is that should you go here: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/usearch/results?la=en&siteID=123112&catID=123155&id=2088334&nh=10&qt=true+type+fonts&rq=0&oq=true+type+fonts&col=usuppprd you will see that there are 30 entries dealing with using them.
Forwarned is forearmed.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2007, 09:31:31 PM »
... I don't foresee having a problem.  For 90% of our projects, we're the top of the food chain, so it'll only be used by us, without the drawings trickling down, other than model space geometry and reading our PDFs ...

I respectfully submit: Enjoy this delusion while it lasts.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

MP

• Seagull
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2007, 09:34:08 PM »
... Care to guess how those phone calls went??

All my guesses are not suitable for mixed company.
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Dinosaur

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2007, 09:46:13 PM »
The only problem I have seen with a TTF has been justification issues with strings of DTEXT in lieu of MTEXT a few years ago.  I don't recall if the problem spanned a change in the dwg format, but I believe it did and may have been part of the cause.  I do remember that it was a monospaced font also.  We are using a TTF (Times New Roman) for portions of our titleblocks and on major sheet headers without any issues in 2007 / 2008.  I also use Arial for banks of general notes on cover sheets also without problem.  For everything else though, it is strictly out of the box SHX fonts (Simplex, RomanD, RomanT and for a monospaced font I use MRomanS (I guess I lied . . . that one is not provided by Autodesk)

CADaver

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2007, 11:23:03 PM »
... Care to guess how those phone calls went??

All my guesses are not suitable for mixed company.
neither were the phone calls.... she was pi.... mad.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2007, 07:25:56 AM »
*gotten as far as MPs 2 cents so far*

Agree with MP, dont use TTF's if you can help it. Avoid them like the plague if you can.

*going back to reading*
Gotta go with Michael, John and others here.  We use ONLY romans and romand <period>.  Saves headaches, but then I still have scars from the SIMPFRAC.SHX insanity. 

My plans, thus far, are to use one color, 7 ( black ) on the border. That will allow folks to use a light or dark back ground in paperspace. I don't want to mess with line weights on the border if I can help it. There will be less that 50 words that use the Arial font, all other text will be romans. If this were some strange font I would be concerned but Arial! What Windows machine doesn't have that font. The three logos are all native entities, mostly solid hatch and they are small. I'm not real concerned about plot file sizes because all plotting will be done through a printing company.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Dinosaur

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2007, 07:58:07 AM »
I don't see you having any problems with that set-up

MP

• Seagull
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2007, 09:15:55 AM »
she was pi.... mad.

Like, berry upset?