Author Topic: Basic font for ALL border text  (Read 24177 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Basic font for ALL border text
« on: October 24, 2007, 12:41:27 PM »
I'm working on a multi-discipline standard for a large project and I'm trying to come up with a single style/font to use on the border. Thus far Arial seems to work OK.

Any/All comments welcome.

thanks
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

M-dub

Re: Basic font for ALL border text
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 12:42:59 PM »
If you're willing to use Arial, might I suggest Arial Unicode MS since there are many more special symbols available if you need them?

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 12:52:19 PM »
Don't ask us becuase we use 6 different fonts in our title block. That is if you mean a border is a title block . Just our title block, the drawing file is RomanS.  We Archies have to make it look pretty.  :lol:

But M-DUB is right about finding a font that makes us of Symbols.   

To each their own.

I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 12:53:23 PM »
My 2¢ ... if you have a say in the matter avoid true type fonts entirely (unless there is absolute need) and stick with vanilla AutoCAD fonts. Romans is considered industry defacto standard: clean, easy to read even on reduced plots, renders fast -- but archies don't like it because it's not flamboyant enough.

Puts on extra shielding ...
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 12:59:11 PM »
The reason I choose Arial is because it's not affected ( at least not in my testing ) by line widths. romans will likely be used for most everything else.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

M-dub

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 01:02:47 PM »
My 2¢ ... if you have a say in the matter avoid true type fonts entirely

I was in the middle of modifying my post when I was interrupted.  That's what I was going to say... Either I'm old school in being stuck mainly to Acad fonts or the rest of the Acad world is moving forward, and embracing TTF's.

Binky

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 01:04:14 PM »
I raise MP 2cents by about 20 dollars.  We have a ton of notes on some of our plans.  When the client wanted to change the standard to a true type font, not only did regens slow to a crawl, but plt files exploded in size.  At the time we were using HP designjet 650's and a couple of the sheets generated 18 meg plt files which pretty much made the printer cry and give up.

To what is pretty or not, if the plans are easy to read, avoid confusion, get the point across and eliminates the need for the contractor to pick up the phone and call me, then it is absolutely gorgeous.

M-dub

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 01:06:22 PM »
The reason I choose Arial is because it's not affected ( at least not in my testing ) by line widths. romans will likely be used for most everything else.

I prefer RomanS over everything else too, but have my gripes even about IT.  I would prefer to see (OUT of the box) more definition of 1's, I's, l's, 0's, O's, as well as being inclusive of more symbols.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 04:04:49 PM »
If its just the drawing border and title, I think it looks good to use Arial font, specially if you're using romans or something for the general notes etc. I find it helps distinguish the drawing notes from the drawing frame.

(but thats just me :) )
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Arizona

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 04:11:47 PM »
We use RomanS as a standard across all our drawings.
Because it crosses over well when our drawings go to other companies as well as other cad systems.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 04:14:14 PM »

I prefer RomanS over everything else too, but have my gripes even about IT.  I would prefer to see (OUT of the box) more definition of 1's, I's, l's, 0's, O's, as well as being inclusive of more symbols.

I rewrote Romans here to put "hats and tails" on I's, and a / thru a 0 (zero) so as to not confuse O and 0 and I and 1
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 04:14:53 PM »
I can post the SHP file if you want to see how to program fonts.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Arizona

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 04:19:09 PM »
Very cool!

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 04:23:58 PM »
Very cool!
does that mean you want a copy?

Josh Nieman

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 04:26:16 PM »
I've been meaning to revise our "RomanS" (no I wouldn't keep it named RomanS because of the following reasons) to take some of the never used symbols that are easy to get to on the keyboard... maybe ? and _ or something... so that would could have PL, SL, and CL without jumping through hoops.  I think your idea about putting the slash through the zero would be great, because often we dimension the overall of something and add "O/O" to the end, to denote out-to-out, and it always irked me, especially when you see
Code: [Select]
|<------------ 100'-0" O/O -------------->|
in a font with too-similar Os and 0s.

Good idea, I might take a look.. I had read through the chapter in the Autocad "Customization" book that covers fonts, but it may help being able to see my original RomanS, and see what is different for the "O" than yours.  I often learn by example faster (maybe not better, but faster) than shooting from the hip until it works right :P