Author Topic: ACET help file  (Read 42218 times)

owenwengerd

• Bull Frog
Re: ACET help file
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2014, 08:19:24 PM »
I don't really want to drag this out any further, but I think there's at least a glimmer of hope for a teachable moment.

Infringing copyright may be a victimless crime in many cases, but it still exposes you, your family, and your employer to legal liability and the potential for unintended consequences (like losing your job) even though the copyright owner chooses not to get involved. Fair use is an affirmative defense, which means the it must be raised by the defendant. If it is not raised as a defense, it doesn't apply. Simple as that.

The Swamp Guidelines state:

7. POSTING CODE YOU DIDN'T AUTHOR

Core guidelines:

Attribution - If you didn't author it identify the author.
    Permission - If the the author is not a member of the swamp, get permission from the author before posting.
    Linking - If possible post a link to the original solution rather than static source code. This ensures the latest version of the solution is made available to those viewing your post.
    Diligence - In your post identify what steps you took to attempt to fulfill the above.

I think this states very well how it is your responsibility to a) determine that what you're posting is not infringing, AND b) convince your audience that it is not infringing. I called bhull's post out because neither was done. As Kerry has suggested, a simple email to Autodesk may have been all it took to get permission. Alternatively, "I don't have permission but believe this is a fair use because..." would be another possible approach.

But there is another issue here that is more important.

A community like this remains vibrant and useful only if members police themselves, trust each other, and hold each other accountable, and it behooves all of us to do our part in that respect. Bhull, you can sulk, you can be angry at me, you can start a petition drive to have me banned, but in the end it is *your* character that is being tested here. Faux humility won't work, but sucking it up and taking genuine responsibility for your actions will show your good character and earn you respect in the community. You have a great opportunity here, but you must choose to take advantage of it, and your actions must be genuine.

P.S. I'll admit to being purposely provocative with my "no apologies necessary" reply, but it had the desired effect.

Bhull1985

« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2014, 09:19:08 AM »
Just going to remove my post and end this, really. i'll leave my post script message to owen though.

P.s. Calling a rude and presumptuous reply "proactive" doesn't make it any better, even if you try to Band-Aid it with a "lesson". Jeez, a simple "hey be careful" or something along those lines, would have gone a long way and shown trust in the community. Not calling out an obvious novice mistake and then harping on it for three days. That reeks of elitism, and I don't think anyone wants to go there.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 09:49:53 AM by Bhull1985 »

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2014, 09:43:56 AM »
It's a shame you're so determined to play some kind if victim card here. Mr. Wengerd and others have done their best to help you regardless how you're completely misinterpretting their efforts.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Bhull1985

« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2014, 09:50:27 AM »
Now they're helping me???
Jeez...wow

It's exactly those types of inflaming posts that drag this crap on...how disgusting. Done!

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2014, 10:57:23 AM »
I'll lock this topic untill things settle down a little.

In the words of Bill and Ted, "Be excellent to each other"
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.