Author Topic: How do you pick 0,0?  (Read 12554 times)

Bob Wahr

Re: How do you pick 0,0?
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2007, 01:15:38 PM »
yes, but we must assume that the person updating that floor plan wouldn't just move it in relation to 0,0
Spoken like a man who doesn't work with Architects much.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2007, 01:27:43 PM »
You could conceivably go into the floor plan and change the BASE to where you need it. The word "Datum" comes to mind.
Interesting.  I will have to try that. 
This last job I had to move the floor plan ( It took me two days to come to that it was the lesser of two evils) and I paid for it every step since then. 
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2007, 01:44:37 PM »
I've seen archies move floor plans anywhere from a couple of inches (which is really annoying) to thousands of feet from the original position. Now, I check each an every one or use craig's suggestion from above and use a reference point like a column line intersection as a base point for copy and paste.
CAD Tech

deegeecees

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2007, 02:28:09 PM »
You could conceivably go into the floor plan and change the BASE to where you need it. The word "Datum" comes to mind.
This last job I had to move the floor plan ( It took me two days to come to that it was the lesser of two evils) and I paid for it every step since then. 

I've done this countless times with plant layouts, substation layouts, etc. The command "BASE" in AutoCad can be very useful, as well as "SCALE-->REFERENCE" for "aligning" floor plans/civil data and what-not, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2007, 03:58:36 PM »

I've done this countless times with plant layouts, substation layouts, etc. The command "BASE" in AutoCad can be very useful, as well as "SCALE-->REFERENCE" for "aligning" floor plans/civil data and what-not, I don't see what all the fuss is about.
I have used Base for cleaning up of new created blocks, but never thought of using it on xrefs, which are really blocks.

Aaaaahhhhh the reference option.  Half my user did not how to use that option.  Tisk, Tisk.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2007, 08:03:10 AM »
Can I change my original post on how "we" do it... it seems some people here also use the electronic dart method... I've just come across one where the drawing is 1000's of metres out from where it should be... at least I think they should be... now to try to work out which of the drawings have the correct 0,0. What a royal PITA :x
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

daron

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2007, 08:47:11 AM »
Well, in the past if I had to update an xref and the new version had a different insbase variable than the first, I'd open the old drawing and draw a line from (getvar 'insbase), then snap the end point to a point on the house that is the same as on the new version. Then I'd copy the line using copybase and select the endpoint of the line (the part connected to the house. Then I'd paste the line into the new drawing using on the same point I copied it from. Finally, I could either set the insbase variable to the startpoint of the pasted line. This will set your xref in correctly.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2007, 08:57:52 AM »
As deegeecees said, the command BASE can be very useful to solve the problem too.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

Biscuits

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2007, 09:33:22 AM »
We have (10) cad operators who base everything off 0,0 and (1) real drafter that uses 0,0 for the center of everything.
That way the world revolves around him.

Sorry couldn't resist :-o

Josh Nieman

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2007, 12:58:34 PM »
We have (10) cad operators who base everything off 0,0 and (1) real drafter that uses 0,0 for the center of everything.
That way the world revolves around him.

Sorry couldn't resist :-o

that made me laugh