Author Topic: How do you pick 0,0?  (Read 12462 times)

craigr

How do you pick 0,0?
« on: October 15, 2007, 09:23:39 AM »
For you folks that draw floor plans....

How do you pick where to start your bldgs floor plan from 0,0?

When I get floor plans from different contractors, there doesn't seem to be a 'standard' as to where they are placed. Sometimes they are in the middle of a bldg, but most of the time, they are in the S.E. area - outside of the bldg.

Whey I have to replace one floor plan with an updated version, it would be nice if there were a standard placement location, it would make it much easier.

If I were to start using X-Refs into our dwgs, wouldn't this throw that off also?

craigr

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: How do you pick 0,0?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 09:30:11 AM »
 :-o you mean with all those 'standards' AIA doesn't have anything on this?  :lmao:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 09:31:31 AM »
I use an electronic dart.  :-D

Seriously though, I see no real connection with the house & the coordinate origin, so I just make sure I'm not too fat away from 0,0.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 09:34:31 AM »
Too many people just draw "any ol' where"

I typically work from a survey, so my plans go on a surveyed location.

craigr

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 09:38:38 AM »
So maybe I am bringing floor plans in right?

When I replace an existing floor plan with an updated one, I copy clip the updated floor plan from a common part of the bldg. that I am pretty sure hasn't moved, such as the end point of a corner stone. That's the best way I could think of and they almost always match up. - Though I did have one that they weren't the same scale - one floor plan was nearly half the size of the other. That one was though to match up.

craigr

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 09:40:39 AM »
Ours depends on the client.
Some clients provide us with a base survey, and we draw the building to the correct place/orientation on the survey.
Where no survey is given we generally pick bottom left corner as 0,0.
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

craigr

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 09:43:08 AM »
Ours depends on the client.
Some clients provide us with a base survey, and we draw the building to the correct place/orientation on the survey.
Where no survey is given we generally pick bottom left corner as 0,0.

Now that makes perfect sense to me - I never thought about the plat survey thing.

All I usually get are the floor plans, I forgot there were other things out there - duh.

craigr

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 09:46:14 AM »

So, if the lot is not north south you change the WCS to UCS for your drawing?

I often, as it the case with my current project, don't have the survey until well into the project.

I always drop a building outline with roof outline on the site plan that I create for the building department.
The site plan starts with a copy of the survey scaled up by 12 so that I can work in inches. Other than
that I have no need for the house plans to be connected to the survey.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 09:54:24 AM »

So, if the lot is not north south you change the WCS to UCS for your drawing?

I often, as it the case with my current project, don't have the survey until well into the project.

I always drop a building outline with roof outline on the site plan that I create for the building department.
The site plan starts with a copy of the survey scaled up by 12 so that I can work in inches. Other than
that I have no need for the house plans to be connected to the survey.

I actually change the UCS of the viewports.  We use paperspace, and so I change the UCS there, as to leave the model, by all means, accurate.  Sometimes I may set a UCS in model space to aid in drawing, if need be, but normally not.

If the drawings are set up so that I have a file containing only the floor plan, then yes, I'll draw at the right coords, but change the UCS so that it looks like the lower left corner is 0,0, and the building is square.  That file is then xref'd into the survey (for the site plans) using the floor plan's WCS 0,0 as the origin.

We're still ironing out what method is best for us.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 10:03:09 AM »
Very interesting, always enjoy seeing other methods.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 10:05:03 AM »
Very interesting, always enjoy seeing other methods.

I won't claim that what we're doing is best though... I'm still in the 'trial' period so to speak :-D  That's one of the reasons I keep an eye on topics like these.  Maybe someone already found out the cons to a method, and it'll save me time.. or maybe someone knows a better way... and it'll save me time.. either way!

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 10:24:59 AM »

I actually change the UCS of the viewports.  We use paperspace, and so I change the UCS there, as to leave the model, by all means, accurate.  Sometimes I may set a UCS in model space to aid in drawing, if need be, but normally not.

Might I suggest adjusting SNAPANG instead of twisting the UCS?

Other than that your method gets the Prime Services seal of Approval, FWIW.

Beware, that I have seen even the BEST methods rendered useless by someone NOT following the rule, i.e. moving everything, such that when you replace the XREF file with the current revision nothing lines up any longer.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

craigr

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 10:29:59 AM »
Alright folks!

You are WAY over my head.

The only thing that kinda makes sense to me is rotating the view.

I tried that one time, but when I put my leaders on the rotated view, THEY were rotated also. So, we don't rotate views.

I could have put the leaders in PSpace, but that is not our standard.

craigr

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 10:32:37 AM »
Beat me to it.  This is the easiest way
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Josh Nieman

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 10:35:23 AM »

Other than that your method gets the Prime Services seal of Approval, FWIW.

Beware, that I have seen even the BEST methods rendered useless by someone NOT following the rule, i.e. moving everything, such that when you replace the XREF file with the current revision nothing lines up any longer.

Yea, I tried SnapAng for a bit, but I am so attuned to UCS manipulation that it's second nature to me, and I work with Polar on, as well, so my habits would have to change a decent bit when working with SnapAng.  It also freaks out the other users as if I cast some voodoo spell on their computer via a file, if their cursor is not plumb, lol...