Author Topic: clever hatching ideas needed  (Read 5191 times)

uncoolperson

clever hatching ideas needed
« on: September 25, 2007, 12:01:45 PM »
drawing schematics we hatch the stuff that is to be removed, but the hatching can't be over the text. So the way of doing this has been;
1) hatch everything
2) draw a few rectanges
3) go through each one with trim select rectangle then select the hatch on the inside of each rectangle

i can't use the the drawing to find the where to put the rectangles as i'm usually hatching over a raster image.

any good ideas to get rid of a step or two, or make it easier (good way to not have to select the inside of each rectangle?)

edit forgot to add, i jump in at step #2... because after #1 "it takes too long for me (some engineer) to do"
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 12:10:37 PM by uncoolperson »

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
Re: clever hatching ideas needed
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 12:03:25 PM »
Backgroundmask ?
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

M-dub

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 12:03:52 PM »
When selecting items to be hatched, also select the text.... unless the text is also Raster.  If so, then I'd be doing what you're doing.

deegeecees

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 12:11:37 PM »
If the text is raster, then draw the rectangles first and use them as islands, that way you don't have to go back to it with trim.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 12:14:03 PM »
select the text, go to properties/background mask, select Yes.

Now it doesn't matter were you move the text the hatch will be hidden.  Draw order does apply here so you'll have to bring the text forward
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

uncoolperson

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 12:19:15 PM »
the text is part of the raster

uncoolperson

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 12:19:57 PM »
If the text is raster, then draw the rectangles first and use them as islands, that way you don't have to go back to it with trim.

the problem is i'm playing clean up... the hatching is already in place, i get to go and 'make it pretty'

deegeecees

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 12:23:23 PM »

the problem is i'm playing clean up... the hatching is already in place, i get to go and 'make it pretty'

Ewww. Get a hold of the lacky who did that to you.

uncoolperson

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 12:28:47 PM »

Ewww. Get a hold of the lacky who did that to you.

i'm the lacky here

Josh Nieman

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 12:31:07 PM »
hate to say it, but I think you're already doing it the best way possible.  Raster is "dumb" information, as it is only a RBG value per pixel.  Nothing says it knows what each pixel is there to make up, on a grand scale... it just knows what color to be at this point in space.

I'd be very impressed if someone could come up with a way to accurately speed you up.

uncoolperson

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 12:36:31 PM »
is there a way to get the boundary points from a non associative hatch. (thinking about working backwards, then forwards with some proper islands rather than trim)

M-dub

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 12:46:07 PM »
Just don't convert the hatch back to raster.  You thought you were annoyed before!  Ha!  That'll definitely do it to you!

You'd be quicker to redo the hatch, drawing rectangles around the text, then ideally, you should be able to select everything to be hatched with a crossing window.

uncoolperson

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 12:48:52 PM »
Just don't convert the hatch back to raster.  You thought you were annoyed before!  Ha!  That'll definitely do it to you!

You'd be quicker to redo the hatch, drawing rectangles around the text, then ideally, you should be able to select everything to be hatched with a crossing window.

that's what i'm doing, i told the guy to stop hatching stuff and just draw a polyline for me to play with... i've got 20-30 sheets till i hit the point where that started

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 12:49:43 PM »
Does the text, whether it be a single line or mtext have boundery points?

If so I would think a program can be written that uses those points as your trim boundry and remove the hatch within it.

So that all you have to do is select the hatch.

M-dub

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 12:53:40 PM »
...and make the hatches Associative!

(my personal preference, anyway)