Author Topic: ( C3D '08 ) snap to point object  (Read 5494 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
( C3D '08 ) snap to point object
« on: September 19, 2007, 11:04:23 AM »
Since we can no longer snap the node of a point object simply by picking the object you can still do it using the transparent '_PO' command. And you can add the command to your right-click snap menu by editing the CUI file.

TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

sinc

Re: ( C3D '08 ) snap to point object
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 11:22:23 AM »
I find that the NODE osnap will snap to a point object, but ONLY the point object.  In other words, the NODE osnap does not work when you hover over the point label, the way it did in Land Desktop, only when you hover over the Point itself.

I haven't had a whole lot of luck with that 'PO transparent command.  It seems to work for some commands, but not others.  Haven't really messed with it enough to try and figure out why.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 11:27:15 AM »
I haven't had a whole lot of luck with that 'PO transparent command.  It seems to work for some commands, but not others.  Haven't really messed with it enough to try and figure out why.

It seems to work fine with the built-in commands here but my custom stuff doesn't get the point info.

Code: [Select]
Command: e2p ( custom app of mine )

Select Point to Measure...'_PO

>>
Select point object:

Select Point to Measure...
Error: bad argument type: point: nil
Command: (516161.0 1.32288e+006 0.0)

sinc

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 11:57:30 AM »
OK, curious.

I try it with my few remaining custom Lisp routines, and it doesn't work with those.

I try it with the SincpacC3D routines (which use .NET), and it works fine with those.

So it's possible that old Lisp routines need to be modified to work with this feature.

The only weird thing I noticed is that I seem to get different behavior in different drawings.  For example, I tried using the SGRD command in one drawing, and it let me select point objects, and everything worked fine.  I tried using it in another drawing, and it still worked, but it asked me to verify the elevation for every point after I selected it.  It always got the elevation from the point I selected, but then it gave me a prompt asking me to "Specify elevation or [Grade/sLope/sYstem/Surface]" for each point.  Simply hitting return at that prompt used the point elevation.  But in the first drawing, I didn't get that prompt at all.  Not sure why it worked differently in one drawing than in the other...  Some obscure setting hidden somewhere in Civil-3D...?  I seem to vaguely remember some sort of setting that might be responsible, but can't remember exactly what it was...

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 12:02:39 PM »
the setting is in Drawing Settings>>Ambient Settings Tab, Tranparent Commands, Prompt for Elevations
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sinc

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 12:06:53 PM »
the setting is in Drawing Settings>>Ambient Settings Tab, Tranparent Commands, Prompt for Elevations

That's it, except it's "Prompt for 3D Points" instead of "Prompt for Elevations".

sinc

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 12:18:37 PM »
Hey, I think I just figured out another little quirk.

It appears that the NOD osnap sometimes works over point labels, but it depends on how the Point Label Style is defined.

For example, on our "standard" point labels, the Elevation is a component that is attached to the Point.  Then the Point Number is another component that is attached to the top of the Elevation component, and the Description is another component attached to the bottom of the Elevation component.

I just happened to notice that the NODE osnap was working whenever I hovered over the Elevation, which is attached directly to the Point.  But the NODE osnap does NOT work when hovering over the Point Number or Description, which are attached to the Elevation.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 01:08:46 PM »
Thanks for that Richard. You know sometimes I should try actually opening the application.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 01:26:10 PM »
I just happened to notice that the NODE osnap was working whenever I hovered over the Elevation, which is attached directly to the Point.  But the NODE osnap does NOT work when hovering over the Point Number or Description, which are attached to the Elevation.
That doesn't work for me. :-)

What are you using for the point marker?

sinc

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 02:57:28 PM »
That doesn't work for me. :-)

What are you using for the point marker?

Yeah, turns out it doesn't work reliably for me, either...  I've discovered that in another drawing with what should be identical styles, I can get the NOD osnap when hovering over the Description, but not when hovering over the Point Number or Elevation.  This is the same as the other one, with the Elevation attached to the "Feature", and the other two components attached to the elevation.  So no idea why it's functioning differently.  How bizarre.

We use standard Autocad blocks for all our point markers, because of a nasty bug that pops up when trying to use the "Custom Markers" with Named Plot Styles.

John Mayo

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 09:27:48 AM »
Just to add to the fun, many of our point styles have all labeling (number, desc & elevation) in one component attached to the Feature.

The node snap only seems to work on these points if I hover over the point object/symbol and not with the label.

When I have different components for num., desc. & elev., the snaps behave as you have all stated.

John