Author Topic: hiring preferences  (Read 15824 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Re: hiring preferences
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2007, 12:07:31 PM »
Okay, I have my resume ready, I think, and am posting it in job junk today for critiqing. I have a drwwing in process, too, and I know there is a way to attach a file to a post. Unfortunatly, I have not done this before. Could sombody tell me how or show me to a link?
While you're in the "Post reply" window click on "Additional Options" below the text input box, i.e. where I'm typing now. :-)
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

SDETERS

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2007, 06:18:04 PM »

But for Autocad and Civil otherwise I would not limit yourself just to one Field of choice.  There is many different opportunities out there that use Autocad that is not Civil and or designing floor plans.  There is companies that do mechanical drawings in autocad also.  I keep reading about civil and house plans design and stuff but I think you should not limit yourself just to this.

Also Try to get your hands on many other programs as possible to learn.  SOlidworks  SOlidedge  Microstation Inventor or what not.  The more programs you know how to use the more flexible you become and open more doors for employment.

Thanks

Shane
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:55:23 AM by Mark »

Josh Nieman

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2007, 06:29:05 PM »
Oh yea, I have to second the notion of multiple programs..

I was hired by one company simply because I had experience with multiple programs, because they were evaluating moving on up to the magic 3D schtick and no one currently had any idea about what software was LIKE other than Autocad.  My very limited experience with Solidworks, and my then-extensive use of Inventor got me the job.  I had all the required skills and attractive abilities, but that was one of the things (in addition to my experience as a machinist and having some precision machining programming under my belt) that put me over the top as a prime candidate.

Bethrine

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2007, 11:27:59 PM »
I think you said <removed> is your First choice of Education.  My Wife is a <removed> and she loves her job.  Just wondering what you did not like about being a <removed>? (removed)

But for Autocad and Civil otherwise I would not limit yourself just to one Field of choice.  There is many different opportunities out there that use Autocad that is not Civil and or designing floor plans.  There is companies that do mechanical drawings in autocad also.  I keep reading about civil and house plans design and stuff but I think you should not limit yourself just to this.

Also Try to get your hands on many other programs as possible to learn.  SOlidworks  SOlidedge  Microstation Inventor or what not.  The more programs you know how to use the more flexible you become and open more doors for employment.

Thanks

Shane

<deleted>

Yes, I don't want to limit myself, but unfortunately, my knowledge of the other diciplines is lacking. I keep changing my mind on where to start so I am thinking I will start wherever I get the chance and go from there. As long as I get the chance to use my brain in a technical way and in a field where I can continually grow my knowledge, I will be continually intrigued and enjoy what I do. I am not devoted to civil but it is where my exsperience seems to be for now. I may get into the field more and decide later on there is a track I am very interested in persuing, but for now I am happy just to get going. I also find GIS very interesting, but I don't know anything about it. I will look into those other programs as well, maybe a class alongside the drafting class such as Solidworks or some such?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:56:05 AM by Bethrine »

srlafleur

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2007, 12:07:20 PM »
and timing myself.  :-D

Accuracy trumps plain old speed. We had a designer who just blew non-caddies away because he was so "fast". Man, those keys just went clickity-clack 100 miles a minute, and he was zooming and panning like the wind.
Trouble was, when you really looked at the drawings, there were columns running through equipment and other such nonsense.

The speed will come, concentrate on accuracy first.

I've also had people come out of Tech schools with (at least) certificates in AutoCAD/drafting, who could barely handle the basics. But they thought, because they had been "trained", that that was it...they knew all there was to know. And they pretty much stopped there, proving themselves to be not so smart after all.

I'm self-taught 20+ years ago - no degree whatsoever. Of course, that was when AutoCAD was still pretty new and I was in the right place at the right time starting out. Now I'm the resident cad queen. There's plenty that I don't know, but I'm really good at looking things up, and I've probably run into just about every problem in my past, so I can answer tons of questions for my coworkers.

Besides dumb luck, what's my secret?  A love of puzzles & mysteries... and pure laziness...seriously, don't laugh! Whenever I thought to myself, "there must be an easier way to do this", I would (and still do) work like crazy to find that easier way.

Never think you know all there is to know about this field. Never. Ever. Because even if you're a whiz kid, the new version comes out and there's even more to learn.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2007, 12:21:51 PM »
I have to echo srlafleur.  I used to be one of those fresh-out-of-college whiz kids who thought they knew it all and had much to learn.

Luckily I brightened up real fast.  My methods and situations are much like srlafleur.  I'm invaluable here, because many people are simply too lazy to try using the help file.  It's amazing how much people will do to avoid having to click "Help... help" and type a search word.

Amazing.

Bethrine

« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2007, 01:27:33 PM »
Glad to hear it, the engineer I worked under called and asked me questions and I looked them up and found them and called with a return answer. I also enjoy a good puzzle! So I am very glad to read your post. It sounds, once again, like I am on the right track.  :-D :-D It is in my nature that if it's not done right then it isn't done so I always tend to lack on speed but, yes, with practice anyone gets better. I am also glad to hear that I must keep learning throughout this field because I end up getting bored with jobs and looking for something new. I am playing an online game and find I keep ignoring it to do CAD  :ugly: . I am just loving it! Your post is very encouraging to me!! Thanks!

Hopefully by the end of this week I will be able to start an official job hunt. Hopefully, red tape, yuck!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 12:11:44 PM by Bethrine »

srlafleur

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2007, 02:06:26 PM »
Good luck with your job search. I would suggest trying to find a small company, which might be less strict up front regarding diplomas and such.  If they seem reluctant because of your lack of experience/training, perhaps you could offer to work for a trial period - paid, of course.