Author Topic: hiring preferences  (Read 15828 times)

Bethrine

hiring preferences
« on: August 27, 2007, 08:06:04 AM »
Hello everyone. I would like to know what any employers look for upon hiring. Could I use a drawing for my resume? What would you look for in it? Which personality traits would be important to you? Anything you would like to comment on would be very helpful.

My only degree is in <deleted> (not my thing  :| ). I have put myself through an AutoCAD basic training book I bought from the makers of AutoCAD and done some side work from sketches for my Dad in the physics department at a University. Just basic stuff, but I enjoy it so much I have been playing with AutoCAD for fun and would like to get my foot in the door.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:48:17 AM by Bethrine »

CADaver

Re: hiring preferences
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 08:13:30 AM »
Hello everyone. I would like to know what any employers look for upon hiring. Could I use a drawing for my resume? What would you look for in it? Which personality traits would be important to you? Anything you would like to comment on would be very helpful.

My only degree is in Dental Assisting (not my thing  :| ). I have put myself through an AutoCAD basic training book I bought from the makers of AutoCAD and done some side work from sketches for my Dad in the physics department at a University. Just basic stuff, but I enjoy it so much I have been playing with AutoCAD for fun and would like to get my foot in the door.
Right now a lot of the bigger EP&C Engineering companies are hiring entry level "drafters", but most are looking for at least a two year degree in some drafting based discipline (we do).  Check out the local university, some of the classes you've already taken may transfer to a two year program and get you out quicker.

Bethrine

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 08:43:57 AM »
I am looking into that too and may have to look for something different in the meantime, but I'd like to get my foot in the door as soon as possible. Even so, I will submit resumes and interview in the future at some point.

Arizona

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 09:16:41 AM »
Like Cadaver, we look for that 2 yr degree. With that it pretty much says that this person has reached a certain baseline. We can train them from there.
However, you might try some contract drafting firms to get your foot in the door. We utilize many of these firms and people that show exceptional qualities are given consideration for hiring.
Qualities we look for include:
Attention to detail!
Abitity to learn
Good basic drafting skills

Personality traits include:
Team player
Ability to get along
Positive attitude

Aside from that, anything else can be taught. :-)

It seems like you have the right attitude! Good luck to you!

Bethrine

Re: hiring preferences/suggested programs
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 11:32:22 PM »
Thank you both very much! Could you suggest an educational program you prefer to see on your applicants resumes?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 11:43:51 PM by Bethrine »

Arizona

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 07:30:33 AM »
No, no specific program. Your local Tech school is good enough.
I'm looking to see if you have had formal training. After that, it is what you do with that knowledge that will make you a good or bad drafter. In other words, without your teacher looking over your shoulder, do you still do the right thing because you have pride in your work and because its the right thing? Or do you sloppily, do what you please because you want to be "artsy"?
A drafting/cad school will teach you those little "unwritten" rules. The way that you apply those rules will show up in your drawings.
From our perspective, we can teach you our specific work, but you must have good habits already.

Your enthusiasm will help a great deal. Keep that attitude!!

CADaver

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 08:25:13 AM »
^  ^  ^  ^  ^
What she said.

Arizona

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 09:46:28 AM »
^  ^  ^  ^  ^
What she said.
I think I need to mark this day on the calendar... CADaver just agreed with me :wink:

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 09:51:25 AM »
^  ^  ^  ^  ^
What she said.
I think I need to mark this day on the calendar... CADaver just agreed with me :wink:

As a good thing or........  :-D

Arizona

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 12:50:07 PM »
^  ^  ^  ^  ^
What she said.

As a good thing or........  :-D
A good thing, of course...Silly :-)

Arizona

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 01:00:41 PM »
It's good to see everyone getting along  :-D  .

Arizona, that really solidified things for me. I understand what you are saying. (Reminds me of the Mars Lander. Details are important!) So is a personal obligation to your work that doesn't have to be re-instilled daily by your boss/team as well as appreciation of others ideas and refinements of your own work and no listening = no learning.

I can't seem to find any certification courses, just the Associates programs. Do you know of one? How about on line schooling? Or is an associates what you would reccommend?

My problem: My husband will not be happy with school instead of work  :-(  . I could do both, but my kids are still young and my husbands check is more than enough so it's kind of a sore point with him, but it's what I want to do and I have a natural talent for it. If I could get in the door the classes would be justified for him.

We are a large company, and we do not require certification. Do you have a local technical school?
If not you could do it through an Associates program. However, long before you ever complete the degree you would have the essential skills necessary to become an entry level drafter.
Classes I would recommend is basic/advanced drafting skills and Autocad (start at basic, and don't stop).
The attention to detail, etc... are probably ingrained habits currently.
Question: Are you a perfectionist by nature?

On a side note: Many things in life may come and go, but your knowledge is yours forever.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 03:16:49 PM »
Ok, here is a really simple question ... would you hire someone if they do not have any formal training i.e. associates degree or certificate or whatever ... and "depends" is not an acceptable answer, if you use it, you must explain under what conditions you would hire someone without the requisite training.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Josh Nieman

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 03:23:43 PM »
Ok, here is a really simple question ... would you hire someone if they do not have any formal training i.e. associates degree or certificate or whatever ... and "depends" is not an acceptable answer, if you use it, you must explain under what conditions you would hire someone without the requisite training.

I've gone into interviews without that magic piece of paper (I'm one English class short of the completion, and the college will absolutely not work with me over my now living 900 miles away) and have never been rejected based upon that qualification not being met.  They've either been satisfied with my knowledge of Autocad or other assorted CAD programs, or say that my work experience more than makes up for simply lacking that degree.  One said that he didn't care about the lack of an english credit, as long as I had completed the drafting requirements for the degree, which I had, and showed a copy of my transcripts for their review.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 03:34:51 PM »
At companies I have worked at, we have taken school-leavers and put them through an apprenticeship where they go to college or university one day a week, and the other 4 days learn "on-the-job" under the guidance of engineers and experienced technicians. This generally works well for the people wishing to become engineers etc. They are learning while earning... in my eyes its a win-win situation
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Arizona

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 04:02:29 PM »
Certainly I would hire some one lacking the necessary formal training. While formal training is a good indication of the person's commitment to a skill. Lack of formal training, I can fix. Lack of attitude (regardless of formal training) I don't want to even try to fix.
Would I take a chance on a beginner, you bet I would. Someone took a chance on me once :-)