Author Topic: The Jamaiican Project  (Read 33131 times)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Re: The Jamaiican Project
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 02:58:09 PM »
Someone we should know? Does he want to hire a good contractor to go to Jamaica to build it? I just happen to know someone who could do that ...
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

LE

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 03:00:44 PM »
Something to know about....

What type of construction this is going to be?

deegeecees

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 03:04:21 PM »

Residential  two flat w/separate occupancies. (Don't know the technical jargon)

LE

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 03:06:12 PM »

Residential  two flat w/separate occupancies. (Don't know the technical jargon)

And the building system?

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 03:09:11 PM »
It would be helpful to know what kind of construction it will be, however, I am familiar with most types of construction techniques and materials.

I have designed for cmu, solid concrete, icf, wood frame, post and beam, log, metal framing, steel and combinations of them all.

Seperate occupancies are not an issue, we would just need to utilize UL specs for separation (if there is no difference in occupancy type) If there is a difference in occupancy types, there are a few other considerations.

LE

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 03:12:28 PM »
It would be helpful to know what kind of construction it will be, however,

better wording use it above.... ^^

deegeecees

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 03:21:07 PM »
We will be going over the construction details tonight, we hadn't discussed building material yet, just occupancy type. The client has recently retired from Heavy Equipment Operator, (300 ft tower cranes), and has built most of the larger buildings here in downtown chicago, so I am relying on his expertise as well for guidance in design.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 03:21:50 PM »
The residential that I saw in Jamaica was very similar to Florida.  Block/concrete Main level walls with wood roof.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 03:28:14 PM »
We got a presentation by someone from Redi-Rock retaining wall blocks a while back... I say someone partners up with me and invests in building Redi-Rock housing ;)  it's obviously easy to ship and assemble, just requires a bobcat track-hoe for lifting and placing the blocks.  Maybe on a larger scale a better sized piece of equipment for it, but we can start small.  Add some mortar to stop the draft, and we got ourselves a fine piece of archaic engineering!

deegeecees

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2007, 03:42:44 PM »
I like the idea Josh, but since I have access to cheap ISO containers, I'm going to show the client something along the lines of:

These...

And this...

And this.

But, haven't ruled out other types of "LEGO" systems. I'll be mention Redi-Rock as well.

LE

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2007, 03:53:25 PM »
*^^^*
I am happy that I will be doing Architecture for only 5-8 years more.... with all of that prefab stuff.... and legoland pseudo architecture among many other things - it will make and or making this profession extint.... :)

We had the opportunity to build a cabana in Colorado in a 28 acres land.... the client want it to bring/built from a prefab-house - but glad that they change their mind and it is going to be a custom house instead....

Josh Nieman

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2007, 03:54:42 PM »
I'm pretty impressed with that last link you showed.

I think someone linked to this new wave of construction a while back and most of the ones I saw were pretty laughable and more like someone putting windows in the side of a shoebox and calling it home.

Some of those were somewhat impressive.  Can't say I'd feel very "homey" in them, but I think it'd be pretty cool office buildings for a structural engineering firm :p

BTW, Redi-rock is a retaining wall structure so something like that isn't exactly made for housing... those blocks would be battered inward for one.  Although that could be a benefit if sold properly ;)

jbuzbee

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2007, 04:27:50 PM »
Luis,

I've discovered the real reason architecture is a dying profession: we're on the wrong side of the money line!  The contractor waits silently for the owner to get financing while said owner begrudgingly pays us out of his / her own pocket.  Furthermore, people don't want to pay for ideas.  They'll gladly pay for construction: they can see it, touch it, smell it, taste it . . .. 

So called "Design Build" firms have figured out that than can "hide" design fees in the construction costs: less soft costs out of the owners pocket.  We actually have potential clients putting their contractors in charge of us!  We won't touch theses projects.  I try to explain that the contractor, by Florida Law, has NO fiduciary responsibility to protect said owners interest, and that is exactly why you hire an architect first (because we are in fact held responsible, by law, to protect our clients best interst). 

I'm out as well, in hopefully 5 years (or less!).  I just want to buy and sell dirt . . ..
James Buzbee
Windows 8

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2007, 04:37:20 PM »
... I just want to buy and sell dirt . . ..

I am starting that as we speak, already have one property, have an offer on another, have eyes on at least 4 others, and have been contemplating placing an offer on at least 3 others. Soon, I will have a slum empire BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

LE

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2007, 04:38:03 PM »
Luis,

I've discovered the real reason architecture is a dying profession: we're on the wrong side of the money line!  The contractor waits silently for the owner to get financing while said owner begrudgingly pays us out of his / her own pocket.  Furthermore, people don't want to pay for ideas.  They'll gladly pay for construction: they can see it, touch it, smell it, taste it . . .. 

So called "Design Build" firms have figured out that than can "hide" design fees in the construction costs: less soft costs out of the owners pocket.  We actually have potential clients putting their contractors in charge of us!  We won't touch theses projects.  I try to explain that the contractor, by Florida Law, has NO fiduciary responsibility to protect said owners interest, and that is exactly why you hire an architect first (because we are in fact held responsible, by law, to protect our clients best interst). 

I'm out as well, in hopefully 5 years (or less!).  I just want to buy and sell dirt . . ..

Yes... I knew and know about it.... Sadly but true.....