Author Topic: The Benefits of CAD Standards  (Read 17407 times)

Arizona

The Benefits of CAD Standards
« on: August 21, 2007, 06:19:01 AM »
Why does your company have Cad standards?
Are your Cad standards well thought out?
Do they lead toward increased productivity or do they hamper your progress?

How do you benefit from your Cad standards?

hudster

• Gator
Re: The Benefits of CAD Standards
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 06:35:20 AM »
I want all of my companies drawings throughout a project to look the same so that multiple CAD staff can work on a project with no discernable difference in the final output.

Doesn't happen as there is always someone who like to do it that way they have always done it.

Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 06:43:50 AM »
I want all of my companies drawings throughout a project to look the same so that multiple CAD staff can work on a project with no discernable difference in the final output.

Exactly, when everyone is on the same page life is good.
I drink beer and I know things....

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 07:06:39 AM »
Our Standards here were created so that the drawings that are created today look just about the same as they did when they were hand drawn, and they do, but the standards were not well thought out in my opinion.
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 07:35:01 AM »
We tend to work to client standards. Some are good, some are bad.

If the client doesnt provide us with a standard we have a set that we're supposed to use. However, not everyone sticks to the standards, and then they become pointless :x
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Dinosaur

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 07:57:09 AM »
For many years, our only standard was for everyone's finished drawings look similar to mine.  Now, that feeble attempt at standards has been abandoned and the only persons with the authority to enforce standards if they did exist are the very ones that would not follow them.  My only recourse is to hold on to my own drawings as long as possible and hope I never have to work on them again once they are lost.  There is a quote I have heard many times form this group . . . "it doesn't matter, it's only drafting".

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 07:59:55 AM »
Didn't like them at first.
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 08:00:48 AM »
But now I think they are great

http://www.cadcartoons.com/
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 08:02:46 AM by PHX cadie »
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

Josh Nieman

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 09:20:49 AM »
I would have liked to have selected 2,3, and 4.

Dinosaur

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 09:29:39 AM »
I would have liked to have chosen ANY but the one I had to.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 09:31:43 AM »
I would have liked to have chosen ANY but the one I had to.

Sounds like the last place I worked, which was a manufacturing setting.  I've actually heard "Who cares what the drawing says or looks like, as long as the part is made right."  well... erm... yea.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 09:38:54 AM »
The best reason I can think of for having cad standards is that you can automate so much more of your drawing process if you have consistency in layering, linetypes, colors, locations etc.

The last job I held, we had very exacting standards, from the exact location of dimensions in relation to a part, to the layers, to the location of the drawing on the sheet. The development of these standards took nearly 10 years, and by the time they I left their employ, what had taken 7 to 10 days to design, could be done completely and accurately in 4 hours.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 09:47:40 AM »
For many years, our only standard was for everyone's finished drawings look similar to mine.  Now, that feeble attempt at standards has been abandoned and the only persons with the authority to enforce standards if they did exist are the very ones that would not follow them.  My only recourse is to hold on to my own drawings as long as possible and hope I never have to work on them again once they are lost.  There is a quote I have heard many times form this group . . . "it doesn't matter, it's only drafting".

This is the boat I am in.  This process plays Heck with the new hires, which in turns compounds the problem.
I am thinking of writing the 10 commandments of cad standards just so to promote some consistency.  The stuff that I am seeing is horrendous.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 09:47:56 AM »
From my experience the Standards serve as a point of departure.  The goal being to create a standard that is, or should be easy to use and understand. The ease of use will lead to use of the standard. Discuss the standard with your users; often you will find that they can not use the standard.  Generally for one of two reasons, the standard is difficult to use, or they do not know the correct tools and their usage to maintain the standard.

Exhibit A:  I offer Exploded Blocks.

In several instances along my path; I have been or acted as the CAD Manager.  The time spent training the users was better spent than printing the Standards Manual.

The Standards serve as a target, than when achieved should result in additional profits; given one has good work flow and processes that tend toward profitability.  Standards allow for additional productivity through customisation that relies heavily on the standards being followed, or the time spent coding functionality is also lost.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Arizona

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 09:55:25 AM »
The best reason I can think of for having cad standards is that you can automate so much more of your drawing process if you have consistency in layering, linetypes, colors, locations etc.

The last job I held, we had very exacting standards, from the exact location of dimensions in relation to a part, to the layers, to the location of the drawing on the sheet. The development of these standards took nearly 10 years, and by the time they I left their employ, what had taken 7 to 10 days to design, could be done completely and accurately in 4 hours.

From my experience the Standards serve as a point of departure.  The goal being to create a standard that is, or should be easy to use and understand. The ease of use will lead to use of the standard....

...The Standards serve as a target, than when achieved should result in additional profits; given one has good work flow and processes that tend toward profitability.  Standards allow for additional productivity through customisation that relies heavily on the standards being followed, or the time spent coding functionality is also lost.

These are exactly what I was looking for!
That Cad Standards are not the end result... but only the stepping stone for where you want/need to go.
While Cad Standards do make pretty/consistent drawings... what do they do to increase your productivity (such as Keith's example above)?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 09:57:23 AM by Arizona »