Author Topic: Flattening drawings.  (Read 53506 times)

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
SuperFlatten
« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2007, 07:09:31 AM »
3D model is vastly more usable than a 2D drawing.

I am going to have to disagree with that.  How did we get to were we are today?  I am pretty sure that before the dawn of the PC companies were drawing with a pencil and paper (2D??)
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
SuperFlatten
« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2007, 08:00:36 AM »
..............  He also suggested I may go down the road kicking rocks myself if I kept participating in internet debates on his nickel.
That's interesting Dino', 'cause I know of a couple of firms who have this site excluded for just that reason.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
SuperFlatten
« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2007, 08:31:46 AM »
Just for fun, can someone produce for me an accurate site plan drawn in 3D?
Then when you are all done, I am going to flatten it to a piece of paper and give it to the survey folks.
We've done a few usinf LDT in combination with EaglePoint and LFM.  And they are quite useful as background xref's for other disciplines in plain old AutoCAD without flattening.

Fair enough, but by the time it hits the paper, it has been effectively flattened. In this instance, the product is the piece of paper, not the drawing file itself. In fact, we are chagrin to even do a site plan, the piece of paper, being required by the local authority. It makes absolutely no difference if it is done topographically correct, with 3D apperturances and subterranian items indicated.

I can assure you that I can draw a parcel of land, using distances and bearings, much faster in 2D than even the best 3D modeler is capable of doing.

I think it boils down to "how complex is the drawing" and "does it merit doing a 3D model". Many times I have found myself doing a 3D model of a log home because of the intricate nature of the specific construction. One of the biggest problems I have found with doing this however, is that whenever the elevations are generated using a slice of the model, they are never correct because of the shape of the logs, the way AutoCAD handles the solids, and the fact that, as far as I know, you cannot create a slice across multiple planes in the same view i.e. I need the elevation view to cut 180o for 48' and then 225o for 30' then 135o for 24', otherwise the elevations are misleading.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Dinosaur

SuperFlatten
« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2007, 08:37:34 AM »
. . . as far as I know, you cannot create a slice across multiple planes in the same view i.e. I need the elevation view to cut 180o for 48' and then 225o for 30' then 135o for 24', otherwise the elevations are misleading.
Most civil design packages can do just this when they create profile views along an alignment.  All lengths along each segment of the alignment (even along curves) are precisely to scale. 

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
SuperFlatten
« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2007, 08:54:43 AM »
Which goes back to my original statement on this branch; a 3D model is vastly more usable than a 2D drawing.

In your field of architecture.  (You forgot to include this)

While I'm sure it's more usable in many fields, there are fields that it is not needed.

Maverick®

• Seagull
SuperFlatten
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2007, 08:56:05 AM »
For instance....... Baseball fields

Maverick®

• Seagull
SuperFlatten
« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2007, 08:56:31 AM »
Strawberry Fields

Maverick®

• Seagull
SuperFlatten
« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2007, 08:57:06 AM »
Field hockey

NTTATWWT

SuperFlatten
« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2007, 09:20:58 AM »
What about Force Fields??!?

I mean, how can you flatten that which you cannot see??   :lol:

Maverick®

• Seagull
SuperFlatten
« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2007, 09:35:43 AM »

See now that is just off topic and silly.  Let's stick to ...... whatever is going on here.  :lmao:

SuperFlatten
« Reply #130 on: August 16, 2007, 09:36:55 AM »

See now that is just off topic and silly.  Let's stick to ...... whatever is going on here.  :lmao:

What was this topic about....breast reduction surgeries!??!

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
SuperFlatten
« Reply #131 on: August 16, 2007, 09:37:21 AM »

I mean, how can you flatten that which you cannot see??   :lol:
I think it mostly definitely flatten a few people's field of vision around here.   :wink:
But that just prompts the question of how accurate their field of vision was.   :roll:
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Maverick®

• Seagull
SuperFlatten
« Reply #132 on: August 16, 2007, 09:40:24 AM »
What was this topic about....

What is that smell?  :|

oh no.  That would be Super Flatulence

BTW, anyone opposed to renaming this dirt road to nowhere and starting a new thread so Joe's proggy can be found amongst all the pot holes?

SuperFlatten
« Reply #133 on: August 16, 2007, 09:42:01 AM »
What was this topic about....

What is that smell?  :|

oh no.  That would be Super Flatulence

BTW, anyone opposed to renaming this dirt road to nowhere and starting a new thread so Joe's proggy can be found amongst all the pot holes?

I think you should put his original post and code (nothing else) in the "Show Your Stuff" section.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
SuperFlatten
« Reply #134 on: August 16, 2007, 09:43:33 AM »

Left hand raises to second that motion and right hand raises to show consenting majority.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans