Author Topic: Civil 3D - Storm Sewer Network Pipes Won't Stay In Position  (Read 7077 times)

Dinosaur

I have spent the last week fighting my storm pipe network trying to keep the pipe ends in the correct position.  Per the design criteria in this area, each pipe must run from inside face of structure to inside face.  All of the pipe construction slopes and flow calcs must be based on that 2-D length and bearing.  I have gotten past this on the initial layout by just defining a generic run of pipe and structures to the structure midpoints and the modifying everything as needed once all of the parts are established.  While I am doing this can I grip edit the pipe endpoints to the correct structure face make any elevation adjustments and have the exact length, bearing and slope to match the design calcs UNTIL I do something that forces it to redraw the network.  After this happens, every pipe along that particular alignment will now have pipes again going to the center of the structure with incorrect lengths, bearings and slopes.  This also happens if I have to manually connect pipe to structure.  Most of the time at least one other pipe end will also snap to the center.
Is there any means to lock these pipes where I need them to be once they are established?  I have at times had an entire network set perfectly only to have it all redrawn back to the initial condition.  This is made even more of a problem as when snapping the pipe back to the wall, the elevation also dives to center of pipe at zero so each end elevation must also be revisited.
Changing our layouts to center to center of structure in NOT an option.  Reviewers, cost estimators, box fabricators and our surveyors all need this specific information to get the project built and our plans must match what they are given.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 10:24:28 PM by DinØsaur »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Civil 3D - Storm Sewer Network Pipes Won't Stay In Position
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 07:36:42 AM »
DinØ

Perhaps you might send me a file with the calc sheet for say a run with 3 pipes in it and a drawing with same.  Just so that I am clear on both input and intent so that I can run a couple of tests here.  Because I'm thinking your issue can be solved by labeling the length using inside structure, only we might need adjust the structure wall thickness in partbuilder, or part family properties to get the label to do the math correctly.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

dgreble

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 06:20:43 PM »
Dino,
Are you having the program draw the inside of the structure, outside or both?  We have 6" thick walls on the storm sewers so what you get for a 6' X 3' box is 7' X 4' with pipes to the center (RCP no less).

Dinosaur

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 06:48:16 PM »
Civil 3d draws only the outside of the box with this style and it draws to scale.  The base layout in the xref is still visible and set to no plot.  I use the inside face from this to snap the pipe ends to.  Oddly, I can move the structure with grips and not affect the pipe ends.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 07:07:22 PM »
One can adjust the part dimensions with part builder,
should the relationship between length, to width, and or the calculations applied to compute the sump to frame, etc.
On this one follow the Help File instructions and be sure to back that folder up prior to thrashing around in there.

Also, I suggest that one sequester oneself while working with it. Make your self a decent ISO sketch of what you want to make, a large frosty beverage and dig in.

Should these errors be 'constant' in nature you might need to create a new part. Or should this be a MATH error, perhaps write an expression to calculate the required value.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 09:30:47 AM »
After working through this issue with DinØ; I wish I could say there was some joy.
Sadly it seems that it isn't his process, or the part family.  This is a case of C3D, simply being unable or unwilling to properly calculate the 2d distance of the pipes correctly.  It seems to get it right IF and only IF the pipe is perfectly flat, that is slope=0, and I'm pretty sure no reviewer anywhere is going to approve that installation. 
This should be a call to arms!  At the risk of sounding like barking dogs ALL users need to confront their reseller, and or post complaints at the subscription center under your group code demanding that the pipes network be fixed.  Come on this is supposed to be AutoDesks flagship, Civil product and it can't do math any better than my little sister, all apologies to you Marie. 

I'm going back through the read me for the SP1 to see if that item is addressed therein, as this machine was unpatched during the testing of this issue.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Dinosaur

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 10:01:47 AM »
Thanks for your time and help Michael.
This problem is a continuation of the one I described in THIS topic.  I found a way to get the correct numbers from the program but the pipes become unstable when I use the workaround.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 02:58:59 PM »
it seems the solution; not the best, is to set the label style to 2 decimal precision, and truncate the value
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Dinosaur

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 09:07:40 PM »
DISMAL UPDATE

further exploration of this DEFECT reveals numerous problems with the methods Civil 3D calculates the lengths, slopes and bearings for individual runs of pipes if you need to use data based on runs from face to face of structure walls.

I don't know what to recommend for anyone else in this situation.

Arizona

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 09:33:17 PM »
I don't know what to recommend for anyone else in this situation.
Microstation? :-)

Dinosaur

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 10:22:25 PM »
Do you know an enterprising salesperson willing to provide a full working demo of PowerCivil for me to punish for 60 days?  If so, PLEASE forward my contact info from my profile to him or provide me with his.

This is a wholly unacceptable situation.  At least 80% of my work involves storm and sanitary sewer design and then just for grins, trying to thread water mains in between them.  I HAVE to know where everything is designed within .01' in X, Y & Z directions at every pipe crossing.  Every job has at least 1 or 2 collisions that I have to massage just enough for minimum clearance unless I lose a lot or change the layout.  Either case is a disaster that correct information may prevent.

addendum

OK . . . a couple hours cooling down and a short distraction of bashing the old standby grading, perhaps I can now make a few suggestions . . . that is if you think it worthwhile to try the procedure I was using that frustrated me enough to post this topic in the first place.  I do know that the program will return accurate numbers for length, slope and bearing of your pipes from inside face of structure to inside face . . . until you do something that makes it want to correct your foolish error of moving the pipe end via grips to the structure face.  To accomplish this you must confuse the daylights out of the program with your pipe properties and use a workaround I had to come up with for pipeworks in LDDT 2005.  There is an equivalent Civil 3D version involving null structures but things got very ugly in record time when I tried it so . . .

You must first make sure your pipe lengths are determined by 2d length from center to center of structure (yes, exactly opposite of what you are trying to define).  Also make sure your structure walls are the thickness you want and make you pipe network creating pipes and structures with your usual method.  Being quit anal about such things, I have stick built the entire storm system in my layout with all structures precisely placed and then create my alignment first with PIs at the center of every structure and at the midpoint of each face where a pipe will penetrate.  I then rotate my structures to their correct orientation from my layout plan and adjust them to the correct dimensions.  At this point, the pipes all still meet right at the center of the structure but I have never seen them created by any method they do not meet there at first.  From there it is grip a pipe end and move it to the desired wall at the alignment PI, correct the elevation and move on to the next and continuing through the network.  At several points along the way something will happen and one, two or a whole run of pipes will be recalculated and the ends will revert to center.  After retrieving your mouse from the next cubicle, repair those end conditions as before and continue.  There is good news at the end of your struggle though.  Once everything has finally stabilized and is in position, you can lock the layer your pipes are on and you don't have to worry . . . until . . . you need . . . to adjust the blasted . . . . . . .

I do agree that a sharpened burning stick to the eye might indeed be preferable, but sadly that method does nothing toward creating your storm sewers.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 01:23:13 AM by DinØsaur »