Author Topic: wood materials  (Read 11252 times)

Barry Clark

wood materials
« on: August 01, 2007, 05:41:01 PM »
So... I have this solid with material attached. The material is to be wood. It all looks great... but the grain is going 90 degrees from the way I want it to run. How to I adjust this?

Thanks!

Josh Nieman

Re: wood materials
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 05:50:22 PM »
So... I have this solid with material attached. The material is to be wood. It all looks great... but the grain is going 90 degrees from the way I want it to run. How to I adjust this?

Thanks!

The only way I know how to do this, is to modify the material itself, and hope it doesn't mess up any other solids.  You can specify the rotation angle of any of the maps.

Strucmad

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 06:44:20 PM »
As Josh said MAPPING the material lets you specifiy the image direction

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 07:29:18 PM »
If unsure of your face normals, you may find that 2-sided materials are more friendly.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Barry Clark

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 07:46:36 AM »
I tried in the bump map edit area of the materials dialog box to change the rotation and nothing happened. I detached the material and re-attached it and it still looked the same. If I detached the material, turned the solid the number of degrees I want and then re-attach the material, then it comes out right. There has just got to be an easier way.

What is two-sided material? I have never heard of this one.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 09:12:23 AM »
I tried in the bump map edit area of the materials dialog box to change the rotation and nothing happened. I detached the material and re-attached it and it still looked the same. If I detached the material, turned the solid the number of degrees I want and then re-attach the material, then it comes out right. There has just got to be an easier way.

What is two-sided material? I have never heard of this one.

Bump map won't affect the appearance of your texture.  The map that gives it color/pattern is the texture map.  Bump map is simply a monochromatic image that uses the white/black values of each pixel to decide the depth of the map, in order to darken/lighten it in order to give it depth.

The PREFERED method (now that I remembered it) you may want to try is "materialmap" command to map the material to a face or object.  Autocad defaults to spherical mapping which can sometimes not follow a box shape too logically.  You can change the mapping to box, planar, spherical, cylindrical.... try messing with that.  That way you don't have to mess with rotating the whole material, thus affecting every object it's attached to.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 09:21:12 AM »
Barry, you do not rotate the solid...you rotate the image mapped to the surface by adjusting its position (U,V,W) on the object you have mapped the matterial to.

To adjust the position of a map on an object or a face

On the dashboard, click Materials Control Panel.
Click and hold the Mapper flyout to display the type of mapping available.
The options on the Mapper flyout are also available as buttons on the Mapper toolbar.

Hover over the mapping you want to use on the object and then release. The following options are available
Planar Mapping
Box Mapping
Spherical Mapping
Cylindrical Mapping
A material mapper grip tool is displayed on the object.

Use the grip tools and the representation of the object to adjust the display of the image on the object or face.
 Toolbar: Render
 Command entry: MATERIALMAP

After you attach a material with texture, you can adjust the orientation of the texture map on objects or faces.

When materials are mapped, you can adjust the material to fit the shape of the object. Applying the appropriate type of material mapping to an object improves the fit.

Planar mapping. Maps the image onto the object as if you were projecting it from a slide projector onto a 2D surface. The image is not distorted, but the image is scaled to fit the object. This mapping is most commonly used for faces.
Box mapping. Maps an image onto a boxlike solid. The image is repeated on each side of the object.
Spherical mapping. Warps the image both horizontally and vertically. The top edge of the map is compressed to a point at the “north pole” of the sphere, as is the bottom edge at the “south pole.”
Cylindrical mapping. Maps an image onto a cylindrical object; the horizontal edges are wrapped together but not the top and bottom edges. The height of the image is scaled along the cylinder’s axis.
Mapping Gizmo

If you need to make further adjustments, you can use the mapping gizmo that is displayed on the object to move or rotate the map on the object.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 10:01:57 AM »
  OT Is that a dog dish?  :-D

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 10:39:48 AM »
uh, no...they be some low profile 3" speaker enclosure for an automotive application

plus for me, I just loves to play with anything called a Gizmo  :lmao:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 10:42:04 AM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Barry Clark

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 01:04:56 PM »
Is there a tutorial on this? I followed your instructions to the best of my ability and I am still ending up with the grain running the wrong way.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 01:27:28 PM »
post an example file, and maybe I can mess with it?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 01:49:44 PM »
the offer for a brief off-line session is extended...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Barry Clark

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 07:56:11 AM »
I have tried to upload files before to the Lilly Pond but with no success. :( Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Barry Clark

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 03:16:15 PM »
I still cant upload drawings to the site. Any thoughts?

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 03:47:05 PM »
I have tried to upload files before to the Lilly Pond but with no success. :( Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Post it to this thread using the Additional Options below.