Author Topic: Leader Standards 101  (Read 9590 times)

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
Leader Standards 101
« on: July 22, 2007, 07:13:47 PM »
In 2 instances I have had persons state there are standards for leaders that I have never heard of before, so I am wondering if they are opinions.

1. Multi-lined text: If the leader is on the left from the center, the text is upper left justified, but from right of center, the text should be lower right justified.

2. In learning Microstation, its seems you can't place a note and have the leader bend back the other direction. If I stretch the text one side or the other, past the point of leader, the leader will reverse direction. I've done allot of dwg's where things get alittle crowded, and this is a way I save some room. I think its a whole better than having leaders from one end of the sheet to the other. When I ask why I can't reverse direction on a MS note I'm told this is bad drafting practice.

The only hard fast rule of dimensioning I remember is not to cross leaders or the dimension lines, (extention lines Ok, but not the dimension lines)

Has anyone else heard of these 2 cases?

<edit>
always spell check   :oops: 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 07:15:42 PM by PHX cadie »
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

Arizona

Re: Leader Standards 101
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 09:16:58 PM »
2. In learning Microstation, ..... When I ask why I can't reverse direction on a MS note I'm told this is bad drafting practice.
Backwards logic at it's finest!
Because we say so..... :lmao:

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 12:00:33 AM »
Backwards logic at it's finest!

Then I should catch on quick  :-)

Because we say so..... :lmao:

I'll take that as a yes...... (maybe). I don't want to accidentally count a dimpled chad

:-)

Acad 2013 and XM

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 10:37:16 AM »
Interesting.  We just went thru this on Friday, but we don't have MickyStation. 

We have two individuals that are butting heads on leaders to be placed in the right side of the text.  Apparently they both believe they are right and we have come to the conclusion that the cause of this is most likely the instructor in that taught them drafting standards. 

I settled the argument that the office's standard (solely based on the opinions of me and my bosses which are heavy influenced by our experiences) is to make the text right justified when the leader is on the right side of the text.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Josh Nieman

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 10:43:28 AM »
The text being justified to the side the arrow is on seems so much more visually intuitive to me, aside from that also being what had been taught to me, as well as what my bosses' were also in the habit of doing before I got here.

Now, I have a conundrum.

What line do you put the leader to?

1.)  Center of top line when arrow is on left, center of bottom line when arrow is on right

2.)  Center of top line always

3.)  Centered on text as a whole, always

Those are the three opinions we have.

I was taught 1 first, then was taught 2, then was told to always use 3... now that I'm here I have one guy doing 1, another 2, another two guys doing 3, and I really don't have a habit because I have too many peopl b&#ching about how $#!+ is done around here.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 11:00:31 AM »
The text being justified to the side the arrow is on seems so much more visually intuitive to me, aside from that also being what had been taught to me, as well as what my bosses' were also in the habit of doing before I got here.

Now, I have a conundrum.

What line do you put the leader to?

1.)  Center of top line when arrow is on left, center of bottom line when arrow is on right

2.)  Center of top line always

3.)  Centered on text as a whole, always

Those are the three opinions we have.

I was taught 1 first, then was taught 2, then was told to always use 3... now that I'm here I have one guy doing 1, another 2, another two guys doing 3, and I really don't have a habit because I have too many peopl b&#ching about how $#!+ is done around here.

My opinion is number two becuase of drafting efficiencies.  We steal details and what not from past jobs and no matter how careful or thought we are we ending up tweaking the location of detail or grip stretching the text body to get them to fit on the sheet.  There is less editing and hoops to go thru with #2 than the other options you suggest.  Again my opinion form my experiences.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

LE

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 11:09:42 AM »
For the arrowheads have you used the terminator?.... just draw the lines and put a terminator at the end of the line, that way you can draw your arrows as you want them.

Arizona

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 11:16:19 AM »
If I stretch the text one side or the other, past the point of leader, the leader will reverse direction.

FYI...
Leader shifts when a Note (placed with the Place Note tool) is copied from a rotated Reference.
Corrected in release 8.9.4.51 :-)

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 03:20:32 PM »
so it unanimous.
 The opinion of the Boss, (and the opinion of whoever taught him/her) is final  :pissed:

(I shoulda known)

:-D

Thanks All !
Acad 2013 and XM

Arizona

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 03:30:22 PM »
so it unanimous.
 The opinion of the Boss, (and the opinion of whoever taught him/her) is final  :pissed:

(I shoulda known)

Thanks All !
The opinion of the boss is always correct!
Unless you like committing political suicide :wink:

Josh Nieman

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 03:38:38 PM »
so it unanimous.

(I shoulda known)

Thanks All !
The opinion of the boss is always correct!
Unless you like committing political suicide :wink:

PSH, what a yes-woman... STICK IT TO THE MAN

(unless he buys you out)

Arizona

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 03:41:31 PM »
PSH, what a yes-woman...

Corporate employee :-)

BTW, How many bosses do you have to please?

Josh Nieman

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 03:44:22 PM »
PSH, what a yes-woman...

Corporate employee :-)

BTW, How many bosses do you have to please?

I have 8 bosses Bob. Pardon me? 8 Bosses. Eight? Eight Bob! That means that when I screw something up, I have to hear 8 different people tell me about it.

-Bob+Arizona
-8+3

But one believes whatever I say is gold.

Arizona

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 03:49:31 PM »
I have 8 bosses Bob. Pardon me? 8 Bosses. Eight? Eight Bob! That means that when I screw something up, I have to hear 8 different people tell me about it.

-Bob+Arizona
-8+3

But one believes whatever I say is gold.
Hehe...Only eight? Small company? Remember size does matter, here :-)

Thanks, I needed the laugh. Besides I only catch you when you screw up... must be the Mom in me :wink:

Gael

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 11:04:26 PM »
My preference is left justified text. Reason... As a society we mostly read left justified text it makes text easier for most to ready if it is left justified.  Since readability is what we are after.....

As far as leaders...
when I was trained as a Bridge drafter (dang picky bridge engineers) I was taught that leaders either had to be pulled from the beginning of a note or the end of a note but no where in between.  They sighted a law suit in which a construction company won because a leader was pulled from the middle of a multi line piece of text.  This also helps when a drawing gets crowded and somone does not leave enough space between notes.