Leave it as is
1 (4.3%)
Split it into OpenDCL, ObjectDCL
18 (78.3%)
Remove it
4 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: July 21, 2007, 08:27:54 AM

Author Topic: This forum  (Read 11887 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
This forum
« on: July 17, 2007, 08:27:54 AM »
I would like to split it into two forums myself, I think the OpenDCL project might get a little more exposure if it remained here is some form.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

jbuzbee

• Swamp Rat
Re: This forum
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 08:36:42 AM »
I say split: it might be interesting using the forums to illustrate the similarities, and more importantly differences, the two development tracks take. 
James Buzbee
Windows 8

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 10:32:42 AM »
I vote for a split and agree with this comment:

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=17642.msg213183#msg213183
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 10:34:41 AM »
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 10:36:19 AM by Danielm103 »

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 11:12:08 AM »
even tho I'm no programmer, I can see the point in splitting the board.

Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 12:21:16 PM »
I vote Split it.  I agree that OpenDCL will get better exposure plus it will keep the post separate
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

owenwengerd

• Bull Frog
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 01:26:37 PM »
I would like to split it into two forums myself...

By "split it", do you mean "rename it to OpenDCL and create a new one named ObjectDCL"?  Or do you mean "delete it and create two new fora named OpenDCL and ObjectDCL"?  IOW, what would happen to the existing posts?

I'm inclined to split it, but I'm concerned that new visitors who haven't heard of either OpenDCL or ObjectDCL might find *neither* name interesting (and therefore ignore them), whereas "Visual DCL Programming" at least sounds interesting to any lisp programmer familiar with DCL.

And let me take this opportunity to thank Mark and the other swamp dwellers for your support! :)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 01:32:26 PM »
By "split it", do you mean "rename it to OpenDCL and create a new one named ObjectDCL"?  Or do you mean "delete it and create two new fora named OpenDCL and ObjectDCL"?  IOW, what would happen to the existing posts?
No posts will be deleted. We will simply split the posts into the approaite forum. I will keep the Visual DCL Programming and place each under it, or something like that.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

owenwengerd

• Bull Frog
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 02:27:37 PM »
I will keep the Visual DCL Programming and place each under it, or something like that.

Perfect!

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 05:15:59 PM »
I'm was originally in 2 minds about this issue.

I was the one who originally pestered Mark into creating this forum after being told by Chad that the build for ObjectDCL for AC2007 was progressing. As most of you know, that never transpired, and we were left holding our design pencils wondering which direction to move. Thankfully, Chad released the source into the public domain at SourceForge and the project became OpenDCL shortly after Owen became involved. Our options for a solution to Visual Interface Development in Lisp increased when Ductisoft started to develop the ObjectDCL original branch to suit their own commercial business plan.

At this time the products are different technically and I can't see that changing.

A lot of my posts in this forum addressed the Original ObjectDCL product however by development tool of preference is OpenDCL as developed by the SourceForge development team which I have supported since it's inception.

This brings me to the point of this post. The majority of the posts related to the original ObjectDCL product are probably mine. A lot of posts which refer to ObjectDCL actually refer to the SourceForge project which became OpenDCL.

Thats why I'm in 2 minds.

I'd really like to hear an opinion from Ductisoft or some users of their product.

I voted to split the forums, simply because I see that the products will head in different directions.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.