Author Topic: closing out dwg.s  (Read 18565 times)

CADaver

closing out dwg.s
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2004, 07:28:15 AM »
Wooohooo, two on!!

Quote from: Tim Riley
 We draw everything 1 to 1 and then scale the title block accordingly. The only exception to this is the occasional 2x or 4x detail, and for that we have different dimstyles set up.
How do you plot those along with the rest fof the drawing?

Everything we make is cut with either a plasma cutter or cnc machine from dxf files we export.
Would be done from the model in our case, which requires no annotation

We don't use 3D. The people here are too old.
hmmm... I'm one of the oldest guys posting on these boards so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

It doesn't matter. Each sheet is automatically plotted from our document management system
Each sheet then requires a separate file, for us, fewer files are considerably easier to manage.

{each plot has different scale}What's wrong with that?
You then have to determine somehow the plot scale prior to plotting.  With PS everything plots the same.

Quote from: CADaver
Now my question; why not use LAYOUTs?

I don't see a need to. The way we do things now works out quite well.
The way we did things when we used a pencil worked quite well at the time also.  But we found production advantages with CAD, then we found production advantages with PS.  You may as well.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
closing out dwg.s
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2004, 08:00:15 AM »
:P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

nivuahc

closing out dwg.s
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2004, 08:01:27 AM »
[what_you_talkin_bout_willis]
Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum,
What might be right for you, may not be right for some.
A man is born, he's a man of means.
Then along come two, they got nothing but their jeans.

But they got, Diff'rent Strokes.
It takes, Diff'rent Strokes.
It takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.

Everybody's got a special kind of story
Everybody finds a way to shine,
It don't matter that you got not alot
So what,
They'll have theirs, and you'll have yours, and I'll have mine.
And together we'll be fine....

Because it takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.
Yes it does.
It takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.
[/what_you_talkin_bout_willis]

CADaver

closing out dwg.s
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2004, 08:11:08 AM »
Quote from: Keith
:P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P
See, see, Itoldjaso, Itoldjaso  
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

CADaver

closing out dwg.s
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2004, 08:13:47 AM »
Quote from: nivuahc
[what_you_talkin_bout_willis]

The spooky part about that is somebody knows all the words to that theme song. :shock:

nivuahc

closing out dwg.s
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2004, 08:21:26 AM »
Well it ain't me, I had to look 'em up.

Thing is, we rarely see things how they are, we see them how we are.

Maybe I'm using a program that takes and AutoCAD drawing and follows it to makes cuts in metal on a plasma table. That program can't handle PS. So should I go out and buy software that can, or rewrite the code in that software so that proponents of MS/PS will be happy and accept me as a good little drafter?

Just because something is right for you, doesn't mean that it's right for everybody.

CADaver

closing out dwg.s
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2004, 09:23:42 AM »
Well it ain't me, I had to look 'em up.

Thing is, we rarely see things how they are, we see them how we are.

Maybe I'm using a program that takes and AutoCAD drawing and follows it to makes cuts in metal on a plasma table. That program can't handle PS. So should I go out and buy software that can, or rewrite the code in that software so that proponents of MS/PS will be happy and accept me as a good little drafter?

Just because something is right for you, doesn't mean that it's right for everybody.
Having been known to thump a person or two, I went back to make sure.  Nope, no thump intended, I was answering a question, then followed with my own question.  I don't think I claimed that his way was not right for him, but there ya' go.

Anyway, I do a lot of work that gets pushed through machine control, either for the plasma cutter, the "Flowjet" or the Model-Milling machine, and I've had no trouble utilizing PS for the production of the drawings.  The control is extracted from the model, PS is ignored.

nivuahc

closing out dwg.s
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2004, 09:42:14 AM »
Wow, re-reading what I wrote I guess it came across like I was complaining or fussing, neither of which is the case. I, personally, prefer MS/PS but learned the hard way that getting people to change is sometimes not worth the effort.

My Brother, on the other hand, works at a metal fab shop and they are using older software for what he does. It's not worth the effort or cost for him to change the way they do things simply to conform to a new 'idea' that won't save them any time or money in the long run.

Sorry about that CADaver, I didn't mean to come across so harshly. You have my sincerest apologies.  :oops:

CADaver

closing out dwg.s
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2004, 11:18:23 AM »
Sorry about that CADaver, I didn't mean to come across so harshly. You have my sincerest apologies.  :oops:
 Hey, no problem.  There's more than few posters here who have been unintentionally (sometimes) jabbed a bit hard by the "Swamp Bunny", so I understand how something posted with one emotion in mind can be misconstrued by the reader for a completely different "tone".  It is difficult to convey "tone" with a written word.  And sometimes I have to be reminded that just because it's "my way or the highway" here doesn't mean that works everywhere.

My Brother, on the other hand, works at a metal fab shop and they are using older software for what he does. It's not worth the effort or cost for him to change the way they do things simply to conform to a new 'idea' that won't save them any time or money in the long run.
What software is he using?  Most of the older stuff we were using was upgradable pretty cheap (one was free) and along with the upgrade there were several extremely productive tools added, especially for the Flowjet.

nivuahc

closing out dwg.s
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2004, 11:22:17 AM »
What software is he using?  Most of the older stuff we were using was upgradable pretty cheap (one was free) and along with the upgrade there were several extremely productive tools added, especially for the Flowjet.

I have no idea. I haven't talked to him in over 2 years 'cuz he's an idjit.  :?

CADaver

closing out dwg.s
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2004, 11:27:24 AM »

I have no idea. I haven't talked to him in over 2 years 'cuz he's an idjit.  :?
Hey, I have a brother just like that.... ??
er...
Say...
um...  
what's yer real name, anyway?  Bubba is that you again??

TR

closing out dwg.s
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2004, 12:30:10 AM »

We draw everything 1 to 1 and then scale the title block accordingly. The only exception to this is the occasional 2x or 4x detail, and for that we have different dimstyles set up.
How do you plot those along with the rest fof the drawing?

These are part of the drawing.

We don't use 3D. The people here are too old.
hmmm... I'm one of the oldest guys posting on these boards so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

I mean that once you reach a certian age 95% of the people lose the ability to learn anything (or at least that's the way it is where I work).

It doesn't matter. Each sheet is automatically plotted from our document management system
Each sheet then requires a separate file, for us, fewer files are considerably easier to manage.

The key words in that reply were "for us". The way we do it is easier to manage "for us".

{each plot has different scale}What's wrong with that?
You then have to determine somehow the plot scale prior to plotting.  With PS everything plots the same.

Anyone who isn't dead from the neck up can figure out the scale of a detail drawing (or have a pretty close idea) before they start the drawing.

We don't worry about plot scales either. Our batch plot program finds the titleblock in the drawing and plots the extents of that scale to fit.

Now my question; why not use LAYOUTs?

I don't see a need to. The way we do things now works out quite well.
The way we did things when we used a pencil worked quite well at the time also.  But we found production advantages with CAD, then we found production advantages with PS.  You may as well.

We've found plenty of production advantages in CAD as well, However what's a production advantage for you may not be a production advantage for my company.

CADaver

closing out dwg.s
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2004, 07:54:37 AM »
How do you plot those [scaled details] along with the rest fof the drawing?

These are part of the drawing.
At a different scale?? So you have to scale them up prior to plotting? What does that do to the assoc. dimens? Do you have to scale them back down to edit them?? Isn't that a pain in the keester??

I mean that once you reach a certian age 95% of the people lose the ability to learn anything (or at least that's the way it is where I work).
You need to get out more.  Just looking around this forum, there are several guys who are a little "long in the tooth" posting here that are extremely adaptable.  The average age for designers in my dept. is above 45, and the company has several dozen designers over 50 that are the most projific users we have.  Age bias is as bad s any other bias.

Anyone who isn't dead from the neck up can figure out the scale of a detail drawing (or have a pretty close idea) before they start the drawing.
Still everything plots the same from PS, even for those who are dead from the neck up.

We don't worry about plot scales either. Our batch plot program finds the titleblock in the drawing and plots the extents of that scale to fit.
Whole 'nuther thread

We've found plenty of production advantages in CAD as well, However what's a production advantage for you may not be a production advantage for my company.
Quite right.  However, this is not a new discussion.  Over the last 10 or so years, I've run into literally dozens of folks who avoid PS for the same reasons you've posted here.  With a little cajoling and just a little training, I've talked many of them into at least trying it for several jobs.  None who have truly tried it have ever gone back.  Just the fact that you can stop fooling around with scaled details and dimstyles is enough for most, controlling layer display in different viewports sold the rest.  But if you wish to continue with R10 methods, carry on.

TR

closing out dwg.s
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2004, 09:15:48 AM »
On of these days I'll try paperspace, but I doubt it'll be anytime soon. It would require reconfiguring our batch plot program, our document management system, and roughly 30,000 standard drawings.

And as for the old people remark, It is true at my company. I'm the youngest at 23 and the next youngest are 45, 48. Most are over over 55 though (and these are the guys that have trouble learning new stuff).

And oh yeah. Even though it doesn't seem like it would work, our method of batch ploting actually comes out to scale.