Author Topic: How does OLE Link?  (Read 1300 times)

craigr

How does OLE Link?
« on: May 22, 2007, 09:07:09 AM »
A co-worker & I were discussing the new Office package and the cost associated with updating to the newer version 2007.

I mentioned OpenOffice, that for those of you that don't know, is open source / Free download.

This brought a question to mind. If we have been using MS Word for our points lists, sequences, etc, and pasted into AutoCad, would AutoCad allow OpenOffice to open them?

I guess what I am really asking is, does AutoCAD OLE to the actual Program or to the file type?

Just curious,

craigr

DaveW

Re: How does OLE Link?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 09:30:16 AM »
Can't answer that ATM, as I never finshed activating my Vista install which has Open Office installed with it.

Open Office is pretty nice. Give it a shot and let us know the answer. www.openoffice.org

craigr

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 09:56:53 AM »
I have downloaded and installed Open Office on a few systems that belong to Aunts, uncles, etc... that don't need & can't afford the full Office package. They just want to write letters, etc...

From what I have seen of it, it is as close to MS Office as it can get without being sued. Admittedly, I didn't spend much time looking it over. Anyway, they are very happy with it.

Just my opinion,
craigr

DaveW

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 02:10:50 PM »
What I am particularly interested in is the Excel type of OLE.

I read/was told, that the OLE limitation of Excel to ACAD, where it can only do like 71 rows or out to letter J, was a problem in Excel, not ACAD. I was also told that this issue was resolved in Excel 2003.

Now I use ACAD 2002 and I can say for sure that it is not fixed in Excel 2003, as I own a copy now.

The question remains, does OpenOffice work with ACAD and does it not have this limitation?

If you get a chance to that out I would be grateful for any info.

Thanks

craigr

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 09:06:03 AM »
Wow, I am amazed that no one knows this!

I figured this would be an easy question for you folks.

craigr