Author Topic: Not so much a standard...  (Read 21419 times)

hudster

• Gator
Not so much a standard...
« on: June 29, 2004, 03:56:37 AM »
....more of a common sense thing.

SAVE YOUR WORK REGULARLY.

I have a guy in my office who works on a really old computer, I think we got it from moses.  His computer regularly crashes and he never saves his work, he will go hours without saving, so when it crashes he loses hours worth of work, unless i can salvage his autosave.

I tend to save every 2 minutes as I work through a drawing, less hastle if anything goes wrong.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

pmvliet

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 08:27:30 AM »
Do you set his savetime to something shorter then the default?
we set our entire office to 10 minutes. It helps some but we still loose stuff from time to time.

We also move the backup's to a local directory so that each person gets a BAK for their file... That helps at times as well, but only if people save. I have lots of Microstation users and since Microstation will continually save, people don't like saving every 3rd command or so in AutoCad... hard habits are hard to break.

CADaver

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 08:35:35 AM »
I have added QSAVE to about a dozen of our canned routines, so it's real hard to go more than 10-15 minutes without the system doing it's own Qsave.  I have made everyone aware that the program is saving itself, so don't expect to quit without saving and return to and old version.  OPEN THE BLOODY THING READ-ONLY.  

Remember when you could set acad to open everything read-only?

M-dub

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 08:39:09 AM »
That's almost like Microstation...That can be dangerous if you don't know it saves the drawing after every single command.
Not a bad idea if everyone knows what's going on, but I think the Vent proves that not everyone does...;)

CADaver

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 08:49:52 AM »
Quote from: M-dub
That's almost like Microstation...That can be dangerous if you don't know it saves the drawing after every single command.
Yes it can, and it has bitten a few in the ... ummm... tailgate.

Quote from: M-dub
Not a bad idea if everyone knows what's going on, but I think the Vent proves that not everyone does...;)
After the tailgate bandaids were applied, I think most everyone here is aware, those that aren't, aren't aware they're breathing.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 06:20:13 PM »
Autosave set to 10 minutes,  create backup with each save and that is all you realistically need to have, anything else is a waste of time and unnecessary
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

VerticalMojo

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 09:36:21 AM »
I set mine to every three min......

Yes I know..... but I can do a lot of work in 10 min.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 10:33:24 AM »
I set mine to every three min......

Yes I know..... but I can do a lot of work in 10 min.

Me too  :D .

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2004, 10:38:41 AM »
Due to the size of our models and the glut of data that travels between models and associated databases, saves can take upwards of 20 minutes in ambitious models. As such, the last thing we want is a autosave to kick in. Our operators know: save it or lose it. But I fully admit, ours is a different kind of camp, and not necessarilly representative of "the norm" ... :)
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

CADaver

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2004, 10:57:03 AM »
Quote from: MP
Due to the size of our models and the glut of data that travels between models and associated databases, saves can take upwards of 20 minutes in ambitious models. As such, the last thing we want is a autosave to kick in. Our operators know: save it or lose it. But I fully admit, ours is a different kind of camp, and not necessarilly representative of "the norm" ... :)
Ours can take some time as well (not nearly 20 min, however), and that's the primary reason I don't shorten the autosaves to less than 15 minutes

t-bear

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2004, 11:00:55 AM »
Like CADaver & MP, our 3D models can take a while....15 minutes.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2004, 11:06:37 AM »
We deal with drawings typically less than 2 megs, some are as small as 200k (in 2000) they are even smaller in 2004

CADaver

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2004, 01:05:11 PM »
Quote from: Keith
We deal with drawings typically less than 2 megs, some are as small as 200k (in 2000) they are even smaller in 2004
Geez, the good ol' days....  
The only real disadvantage to 3D modeling is file size, we average 20-40Mbs.

t-bear

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2004, 01:22:35 PM »
Yah...baybe they'll come out with a "3d Lite" option.....LOL
A lot of our 3D objects are blocks (multiple insert) which helps *a little bit*, but not much......
Still, I couldn't do the design dwgs I do in a 2D environment.  Piping going every which-a-way, valves and instrumentation hung all over the place....I'd NEVER find the "crashes" in 2D!

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2004, 01:53:59 PM »
Well I do some 3d stuff, but mostly for visualization, not for construction purposes, it is rarely called for in the construction industry.