Author Topic: Opinions!!! Keep them to yourself...  (Read 108775 times)

daron

Opinions!!! Keep them to yourself...
« on: June 28, 2004, 08:56:54 AM »
... and don't impose them on others.

I find that most of us are opinionated as far as standards go. I've found over the 7 years I've been in this racket, that the things I learned at school were the opinions of my instructor and found that some things they told me (us) never to do, actually made more sense to do. The situation that comes to mind is layers. I had instructors tell us that if we needed to change the color of an object that we should create another layer. I found at my last job that if I did that, I would be turning off multiple layers for the task at hand, wherewith by changing the colors of objects that were related to each other, all I had to do was turn off one layer.

There are many examples and since this, the CAD Standards forum has been put in place, it appears just by reading the titles, that we are letting our opinions take precedence in what could be seen in a bad light. It's okay to say that the way you do things in your office is such and such, but let's keep the "YOU should NEVER use the ZERO layer for anything" types out of our postings. Please think about what you're saying and maybe formulate a less opinioniated way of saying it. I'm sure all who read these posts would appreciate not having their way of doing things attacked.

Thank you.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 09:35:34 AM »
Daron I think the subject line may be a bit mis-leading.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 09:41:22 AM »
i disagree because i can  :twisted:

nivuahc

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 10:10:05 AM »
What about special cases, like mine, where I'm always right?  :P

M-dub

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 10:27:45 AM »
I basically agree with you, Daron.  I think that it comes down to the person 'in charge'.  In many cases, they create (or 'update') the company CAD standards and opinion DOES seem to have a lot to do with it.  I'll admit that I've been guilty of this...:oops:
Like Dan said...

"Because I can."

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 10:29:32 AM »
Quote from: nivuahc

Aren't we all???    :D
I drink beer and I know things....

CADaver

Re: Opinions!!! Keep them to yourself...
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 10:53:15 AM »
Quote from: Daron
... and don't impose them on others.
 it appears just by reading the titles, that we are letting our opinions take precedence in what could be seen in a bad light. It's okay to say that the way you do things in your office is such and such, but let's keep the "YOU should NEVER use the ZERO layer for anything" types out of our postings. Please think about what you're saying and maybe formulate a less opinioniated way of saying it. I'm sure all who read these posts would appreciate not having their way of doing things attacked.
It is my opinion that "feelings" are the responsibility of the holder of those feelings.  My feelings can not be hurt, unless I allow it.  If I choose not to allow my fellings to be hurt, nothing anyone can say will hurt me.  I've been called an idiot by people who really matter, why would it bother me when someone I've never really met does so?

ALL we have to offer here is opinion, it should be assumed by all that anything offered here is only that. Every post on every forum should be read as such. We shouldn't need to continually qualify every post in that manner.  But hey that's just my opinion.

CADaver

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2004, 10:53:56 AM »
Quote from: Lance Pickens

NO, just me.

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2004, 11:38:52 AM »
Quote from: CADaver

NO, just me.

So you say, try and prove that one...    :D
I drink beer and I know things....

CADaver

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2004, 11:42:53 AM »
Quote from: CADaver

NO, just me.

So you say, try and prove that one...    :D

Welll, that's my opinion, anyway   :D

SMadsen

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2004, 12:04:23 PM »
I love to have my opions attacked .. but that's just me.

I agree with Mark that the topic title is mis-leading, Daron.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2004, 01:19:29 PM »
See, where we messed up is that we never had a "definition of terms". Define "standards" ? With a few exceptions - symbology-text fonts, etc, standards are best described as " an IN-HOUSE set of drafting proceedures that produce the highest quality detailed drawings in the least amount of time". As we have seen already, "standards" can be impacted by discipline, shop size, shop budget and local conventions. (especially that Shriner one!!)
There can be no one over all "one standars fits all" standard. True, symbology should be standard throuout a discipline, but we have MANY disciplines here.
Some rave over paper space. I have no use for it, but that doesn't mean that it should never be used.

M-dub

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2004, 01:21:48 PM »
Quote from: Dent Cermak
See, where we messed up is that we never had a "definition of terms". Define "standards" ? With a few exceptions - symbology-text fonts, etc, standards are best described as " an IN-HOUSE set of drafting proceedures that produce the highest quality detsiled draswings in the least amount of time". As we have seen already, "standards" can be impacted by discipline, shop size, shop budget and local conventions. (especially that Shriner one!!)
There can be no one over all "one standars fits all" standard. True, symbology should be standard throuout a discipline, but we have MANY disciplines here.
Some rave over paper space. I have no use for it, but that doesn't mean that it should never be used.

I think that's the longest paragraph that I have complteely agreed with you, Dent!  :lol: ;)

Dent Cermak

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2004, 01:30:20 PM »
be even more impressive if I knew how to spell. MARK WE NEED A SPELL CHECKER HERE!!!!

M-dub

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2004, 01:32:20 PM »
>We need a speel Cheeker?

Just edit your post...that's all I do...