Author Topic: Opinions!!! Keep them to yourself...  (Read 108799 times)

Rambler

Re: Opinions!!! Keep them to yourself...
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2006, 05:02:41 PM »
Standards!?  What standards?  Two guys here work in Inventor, two (me included) in Vanilla AutoCAD.  I LIKE the way I can have an entire machine in one file.  Each layer has any linetype or color I want and they rarely change.  I usually have an assembly layer, several detail layers where I copy over the area to detail keeping LT and Color, clean up, dimension, drop in a border and Voila!
I've build a fair sized library over the years. It's easy to find a similar design in another file (I store by machine type), cut-copy-paste,modify it, dim it and Voila!  Another drawing done and it ain't even lunch yet.  :angel: A couple of thousand entities in 8-10 layers (Each layer a drawing).

Then I get a file with 98,000 entities from the Inventor guys and my regen times... :pissed:  Like 700 entities for the 8" gear I would do in maybe 20!  Maybe you want electrical on a different layer than ductwork but I 'ain't got no' electrics or ducks in my mechanical dwgs.  If I pushed, I could do a machine in a day (with pre-art) but it gets 'stretched' to about a week.  The real drag is spec changes or design changes.  I hate to get too far ahead before the design is frozen 'cause it's a waste of time like driving before you know where you are going. :ugly:

I have to admit my LISP routines help a lot.  Since V10 like our eastside of town it just happened that way and I was the only one on CAD.  BTW 11/10 is my 20th year with the company. 

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2006, 05:05:17 PM »
BTW 11/10 is my 20th year with the company. 

Gratz

Lot's o ranting just to brag you'll have been at a company for 20 years.  Sheesh.

Rambler

« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2006, 10:25:11 PM »
Portions of the foregoing were tongue in cheek.  The point was that there are nearly unlimited ways to get a job done with or without standards.

I'd not call it ranting but rather thumping my chest... and for that I am guilty.  A crisis is looming for our company concerning melding the results of our various efforts due to not having any standards.  So there may be benefits for them after all, as long as they comfom to mine!

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2016, 01:07:25 PM »
This comic reminded me of my reading of this thread.   

ArchiteXts Comics:  Consultant Standards

I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans