Author Topic: Corridor region begin/end pt  (Read 2768 times)

dfarris75

Corridor region begin/end pt
« on: May 14, 2007, 12:11:03 PM »
I am attempting an intersection corridor. I have specified a station to begin and end my region(s), but as you see in the attached graphic the region is not ending and beginning (or does not appear to anyway) at the specified station (hilited station).
Do you know what is causing this? I have seen it do this before, but I have no idea why.

MMccall

Re: Corridor region begin/end pt
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 12:29:36 PM »
hmm ...not sure if this is the issue here but, if you type in a starting station for one region with the same ending station as the previous region, you'll get an error that the regions overlap. If you put in a gap between the end of one and the start of another you'll get just that, a gap in the corridor.  So, what I usually do is 'pick' the locations of where one ends and the next starts. They'll appear as the same station in the corridor but somehow they're interpreted different and you don't get the error, nor the gap.

dfarris75

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 12:43:32 PM »
I see that if I change the station a tad bit it works with a small gap. I tried picking and it didn't change though. Of course I snapped to the end point of the return so it was picking the exact same point.
there are other places where the problem isn't there. I wonder why it would work in some places, but not others...?
At any rate, a small gap in the corridor isn't that big a deal is it?

dfarris75

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 02:14:39 PM »
Well I managed to complete my first intersection. Does it look alright?

Cannon

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 03:01:02 PM »
Looks great. The problem with the picking method is that you basically wind up assigning two Assemblies to the same exact station. Since C3D doesn't like that, it just ignores them both. I always instruct people to gap them by .01' or .001m. The difference is negligible and makes the corridor model happy.

MMccall

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 04:51:03 PM »
Nice intersection!   Now do the cul-de-sac at the other end.    ;-)

While I haven't had any problems with the 'pick' method, I don't question Jame's recommendations.  Afterall, we all want the corridor to be happy, healthy and stable.

dfarris75

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 05:01:44 PM »
Thanks guys. I have a lot of practicing ahead of me still yet. Someday I'll be as good as you folks.

Dinosaur

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 05:29:28 PM »
dfarris75, I thought you were using this program back with the 2005 vintage and doing some pretty good things.  Are you just now getting started with it again?

dfarris75

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 09:06:57 AM »
Not so much getting started. I've been practicing with it on and off, but we have yet to actually use it in production work. I'm having a difficult time winning over the engineers. They still seem to like doing things the old way (and I mean the old way). And maybe I haven't been pushing hard enough in that direction so I'll share the blame. I do seem to be regaining my traction and increasing in confidence though. It's hard with so little support around the office and unwillingness to invest in educating us in the use of the product(s).

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 10:55:45 AM »
Darcy,

Nice work!  Keep the faith, hopefully those around you will suddenly desire to learn.
Or, perhaps offer to buy you lunch. :evil:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

dfarris75

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 01:22:25 PM »
Thanks Mike. If not for you I wouldn't be where I'm at now. As a matter of fact I likely wouldn't even still be working in cadd at all by now if you hadn't helped.