Author Topic: 6. Custom shape (SHX) files will not be used.  (Read 16660 times)

CADaver

6. Custom shape (SHX) files will not be used.
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2004, 07:41:25 AM »
Quote from: MP
First, sorry for the snippy "capacity" comment on my part; reading it now it doesn't seem as friendly as when I penned it.
Didn't notice "snippy", just thought it was the normal level of banter that frequents these threads.  Darn it, missed an opportunity to be indignant.

We have received a couple hundred models from the other camp. All of the civil drawings were create using third party software from a "reputable software vendor". Said software employed custom shape files. Of course, the operators don't necessarilly know this as the program's documentation isn't thorough enough to mention this, or it is buried on page 927, let alone the folks in the other camp's document control department who supplied us the models. So we don't have the custom shape files.
That is not a problem that belongs to shapes, but rather the supplier of the files.  It ain't the tool it's the user.

Now then, any time we open a document
, so you have to lean on the escape key for 10 minutes or so.
so you have to write code to walk the database, find the unresolved shape references, compile a list, talk to the other camp ...
... should we have to endure this avoidable nonsense?
Wrong approach.  At the first error, shut it down, call the supplier of the model, tell him you're back-charging him for down-time until he properly transmits the files and all their supporting data.  It's part of our standard contract, you supply us with everything we need to use your files, or you pay us, by the hour, to sit around waiting on you to come up with a solution.

Recently a vendor had a serious problem (not cad related) supplying what was required.  By the time the smoke cleared, he had basically given us his equipment for free.  We moved him to the preferred vendors list.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2004, 07:42:05 PM »
Quote from: CADaver
Wrong approach. At the first error, shut it down, call the supplier of the model, tell him you're back-charging him for down-time until he properly transmits the files and all their supporting data. It's part of our standard contract, you supply us with everything we need to use your files, or you pay us, by the hour, to sit around waiting on you to come up with a solution.

You are making a wild and inaccurate assumption: these are not models supplied by vendors, these are models and drawings supplied by co-consultants; and like it or not, we are not in a position to demand, we must request things in a professional manner. If we took an arrogant, high and mighty stance there is a real possibility we might enjoy a smaller piece of the pie for sporting "attitude".
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

t-bear

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2004, 08:07:34 PM »
What's that old saying?

"Arrogance is bliss"..........

Some of us have that latitude, others are on the "wet" end of the stick.  You gotta do what you.....

CADaver

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2004, 08:11:29 PM »
Quote from: CADaver
Wrong approach. At the first error, shut it down, call the supplier of the model, tell him you're back-charging him for down-time until he properly transmits the files and all their supporting data. It's part of our standard contract, you supply us with everything we need to use your files, or you pay us, by the hour, to sit around waiting on you to come up with a solution.

You are making a wild and inaccurate assumption: these are not models supplied by vendors, these are models and drawings supplied by co-consultants; and like it or not, we are not in a position to demand, we must request things in a professional manner. If we took an arrogant, high and mighty stance there is a real possibility we might enjoy a smaller piece of the pie for sporting "attitude".
Well one guy's high and mighty is another's intelligent business practice.  Are you being paid by the hour or the job??  

If it's by the hour, you'll be making a profit, but your client is getting screwed by somebody else's errors.  As a client, I want to know when my money is being wasted, and I really appreciate a consultant when he points it out, wouldn't you?

If it's by the job, you're spending your profit on somebody else's errors. Profit that you must attempt to recover somehow, back-charges, cutting corners, future price increases, somehow sone where it's gotta be paid for.  As a client, I can appreciate the situation, and I really would prefer you not to cut corners, nor would I like to spend more money on the next job because of somebody else's errors.  Back-charges are a PITB, but the only reasonable way to place the financial burden where it belongs.  The sooner it happens the cheaper it is.

Either way, as a client, my costs are cut, and the product remains cost effective.

Call it arrogant if you like, but I prefer to be profitable.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
As a contractor (co-consultant) we get paid by the job, fixed price, one fee whether it takes a week or a year.  Our standard contract, provides details for acceptable deliverables, and direction for resolution of non-compliance.  Both the client, and other consultants are aware of these requirements to achieve our common goals.  Our profits will not be determined by the performance (or rather non-performance) of other contractors.  The financial burden of his errors will be carried by him alone.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2004, 08:29:32 PM »
Unfortunately, we don't all work in a utopian environment, I would love to tell some people to piss off and find someone else to do their work if they can't get it right, but unfortunately that is not how it works when you are not the only game in town.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie