Author Topic: 2008 - How's it hangin'?  (Read 13297 times)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: 2008 - How's it hangin'?
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2007, 10:20:30 AM »
Interoperability of the product line has been largely ignored by ADesk.

Yes it has.  Over four years back, we noticed that MAP inside C3D will query NO objects created by C3D. This despite the fact that MAP is inside of C3D.  Irony, in theory there is a Service Patch to object enable MAP3D, only it can't be applied to MAP inside C3D because MAP3D isn't a separate install. Further Irony, there are some nice CIVIL tools inside MAP3, only you can't use them inside C3D because the Civil Menu items are not loaded with the C3D installation.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2007, 03:43:42 PM »
I'm getting a lot of "command in progress. Hit enter to cancel or [Retry]:" when trying to save the dwg after using one of the Orbit commands, or a combination of orbit and 3D views.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

sinc

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2007, 07:29:03 PM »
Haven't seen that one at all, and I've been doing a fair number of 3D-orbits.  I've only really been using the Free Orbit, though.  Think it might have something to do with the constrained orbits?

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2007, 08:07:27 PM »
I'm getting a lot of "command in progress. Hit enter to cancel or [Retry]:" when trying to save the dwg after using one of the Orbit commands, or a combination of orbit and 3D views.
A search of the Adesk forums suggests that this is a long standing issue with Autocad & it's Orbits, not just C3D. Many report that using the Express Tool "Save All Open Drawings", exiting and re-entering the drawing works...others say it doesn't help at all. <*shrug*> Sounds like it's just something "we gotta live with 'cus it ain't leaving anytime soon".

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2007, 08:27:39 PM »
I did see this message before.  This was with 2007.  It was most annoying, as I had THREE witnesses verify that I had issued no command.  As I recall going to lunch 'solved' the problem.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

sinc

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2007, 10:21:05 AM »
There was an issue with 2007, where autosave would cause this problem.

I turned off autosaves in 2007, and still have them off in 2008.  Could this possibly be why I haven't seen the problem?  Or do you guys have autosave turned off, too?

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2007, 10:37:37 AM »
I have autosave off and still have the same problem ... along with many others!

right-click -> options caused these a few minutes ago.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2007, 02:17:38 PM »
I'm up to 5 or 6 ( I lost count ) fatal errors today, all while working with a surface. Without closing C3D, with a surface showing, I went to lunch, when I returned I was greeted with a fatal error! :lol:

For some reason I can't change the menus at all. No matter what I change in the CUI the menus never change.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2007, 02:48:23 PM »
Mark, are you on a network version or single? I've seen many reports on the CUI problem, but I can change them at will....I'm a standalone install. Just wondering if it has to do with permissions for the network CUI's.

To fix the Fatal Error with a surface showing when going to lunch....... don't go to lunch, pretty simple, huh? :-)

Seriously, though, have you run an audit on your drawing(s) that crash?

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2007, 03:00:32 PM »
Mark, are you on a network version or single? I've seen many reports on the CUI problem, but I can change them at will....I'm a standalone install. Just wondering if it has to do with permissions for the network CUI's.

To fix the Fatal Error with a surface showing when going to lunch....... don't go to lunch, pretty simple, huh? :-)

Seriously, though, have you run an audit on your drawing(s) that crash?

1. stand alone. I wasn't having any problem with the cui at first then yesterday one of my menus wasn't showing up so I opened the cui to add back in; which I can do, it shows up in the cui but when I apply the changes everything stays the same. It's very strange.

2. :-)

3. Yes I ran audit on the dwg, 0 errors found. Well the last time anyway. Earlier today I ran audit and it crashed c3d.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2007, 08:15:57 PM »
someone want to take a shot at

A)  what does this mean:

ERROR: Could not instantiate AecDict!

when attempting to create a surface using this data as contours?

B) create a surface from the attached

C) explain why the attached point file (generated from a MAP query) report returns a stange error code and will not parse the points?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

sinc

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2007, 08:46:11 PM »
Well, I had no trouble generating contours.  All I did was unfreeze the 0 layer, then turn on contours in the display style.  The surface was already built.  I reattached the drawing here.

And your data file looks like it was exported as some sort of international format.  Every other byte is a null, which confuses most things.  I'm attaching an image of what it looks like in a Hex editor (since I can't seem to copy and paste the Hex output into the web browser).

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2007, 01:46:02 PM »
someone want to take a shot at

A)  what does this mean:

when attempting to create a surface using this data as contours?
Not an answer, but I found this amusing when I Googled for it:
Quote from: Google
... open this one drawing in AutoDesk Civil 3D, it says, "ERROR: Could not instantiate AecDict! ... Not when the waitress tosses tarter sauce onto your lap! ...
So maybe the answer would be to not eat fish in a restaurant when using C3D?

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2007, 10:39:25 PM »
...............Not an answer, but I found this amusing when I Googled for it:
Quote from: Google
... open this one drawing in AutoDesk Civil 3D, it says, "ERROR: Could not instantiate AecDict! ... Not when the waitress tosses tarter sauce onto your lap! ...
So maybe the answer would be to not eat fish in a restaurant when using C3D?

I'm envious .. wish I could get answers like that from google .. 
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2007, 10:43:26 AM »
Well, I had no trouble generating contours.  All I did was unfreeze the 0 layer, then turn on contours in the display style.  The surface was already built.  I reattached the drawing here.

And your data file looks like it was exported as some sort of international format.  Every other byte is a null, which confuses most things.  I'm attaching an image of what it looks like in a Hex editor (since I can't seem to copy and paste the Hex output into the web browser).

OK, the surface question must have been sheer exhaustion.

The other question, well I haven't gotten the same error with that data today. (yet)

The exported TXT was just a straight-up MAP query to a report file. Producing what appears to be a coordinate file, until one attempt to import said data as points. Interoperability Check Please!

Waitress "I think there's a pill for that"

Be your Best

Michael Farrell