Author Topic: 2008 - How's it hangin'?  (Read 13257 times)

dgreble

Re: 2008 - How's it hangin'?
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2007, 09:24:28 AM »
New tools in feature lines not quite working or broken, what is the deal?

We are trying to follow the rules:
   EG drawing separate shortcut to other drawings
   every alignment in separate drawing
   shortcut corridor surfaces to FG drawing
   separate drawings for pipe alginments

FG drawing broken/corrupt/not working at the end of the day - very frustrating

This is almost a rant but come on we are trying our best and still getting kicked in the gut at the end of the day!

Cannon

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2007, 09:38:44 AM »
The 1 alignment per drawing methodology is broken. You spend more time and data pushing things around than you do getting work done. What are you using for references? What features are broken?

Be specific, there are some interesting lurkers in the swamp....

dgreble

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2007, 10:39:03 AM »
James,
Thank you for the response.  To be quite honest I am turning another in our office onto this site who will be better to explain in greater detail so I may return to my lurking status.  He will try to register today yet and start posting info.

The 1 alignment per drawing does not work, nice, this program is like skeet shooting, always like trying to hit a moving target. :-)

Cannon

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2007, 11:52:55 AM »
Let me rephrase that. It works, it just sucks.

It's taking a mechanical mindset and shoving it into the CE world. That's what happens when you let the Inventor expert draft your workflow.

dgreble

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2007, 12:06:50 PM »
lightbulb...
so if the one alignment per drawing does not work or sucks is this what is affecting our sheet set manager as well?
(domino effect)

another thought...
if adesk eyes are here we would gladly volunteer to be the next guinea pig for the software
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 12:10:57 PM by dgreble »

jpostlewait

« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2007, 04:39:48 PM »

another thought...
if adesk eyes are here we would gladly volunteer to be the next guinea pig for the software

Careful what you wish for.

Anybody with a pulse can apply at Feedback and be accepted.

Cannon

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2007, 07:50:49 PM »
Be careful knocking it. You guys (and me) would have been up a creek without some of those experimental softwares fixing the very stumbling blocks in our path.

It's possible the workflow is your issue, but it's probably somethign else.

jpostlewait

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2007, 08:04:43 PM »
Be careful knocking it. You guys (and me) would have been up a creek without some of those experimental softwares fixing the very stumbling blocks in our path.

It's possible the workflow is your issue, but it's probably something else.

Ya I respect the crap out of them.
The guys in ManchVegas truly do listen to the ranting of the people who are trying to make this work.
Along with some other parts of the country. :-o

Dinosaur

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2007, 06:33:59 PM »
I finally took the plunge and loaded my TRIAL copy of Civil 3D 2008 on my home box,  I lost my virtual machine a few weeks back an haven't had time to set up a new one.  There IS at least some good news.  It appears all of my labels translate into 2008 without the problems others are noting.  Of course most of my work has been with pipe and street profiles.  I have made some use of the general labeling in lieu of parcels but I don't have any of those drawings at home to see what happens.  From what I see though, our only major problem will be the loss of the point group layer property and it looks like we can work around that one.  :kewl:

I just wish Manchester would decide to quit improving the aec objects each year so much they are not compatible with any other version of the program.  At least keep the things stable enough to last for the life of the dwg format cycle.  This is in effect the same thing as having a new dwg format every year.  :realmad: