Author Topic: ( C3D 2008 ) Points and Layers problem  (Read 2308 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
( C3D 2008 ) Points and Layers problem
« on: May 24, 2007, 10:50:18 AM »
Having some point issues here. I have a group of points that I want on a specific layer, which is defined in a point label style. These points have the color of the layer I've defined but when you look at the properties of the points they're on a different layer that has a different color in fact. The point group order is correct, it's at the top. The points only appear in two groups; _All Points and the group I created. I can manually change the points to the preferred layer but that's a pain.

Any ideas?
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Re: ( C3D 2008 ) Points and Layers problem
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 11:03:43 AM »
Here are some images. Remember the point color is correct.

sinc

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 11:59:57 AM »
In 2008, Points are kind of like "blocks".

When you insert a point, the overall "Point block" goes on a layer.  This is either the current layer, or it may be the layer specified in the DescKey (if one applies, and you have DescKey matching turned on).

The Point marker and the Point label can be placed on different layers in the Point Style, but neither one affects the layer that the overall "point block" goes on.  Unfortunately, the only way to control this is by setting up DescKeys, or by making sure you select the layer you want and set it current prior to creating the points.

After that, the best way to change the layer of points is to put them into a point group, and then do "Edit points" on the points group, and change the layer of all the points in the group at once.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 01:51:30 PM »
In 2008, Points are kind of like "blocks".

When you insert a point, the overall "Point block" goes on a layer.  This is either the current layer, or it may be the layer specified in the DescKey (if one applies, and you have DescKey matching turned on).

The Point marker and the Point label can be placed on different layers in the Point Style, but neither one affects the layer that the overall "point block" goes on.  Unfortunately, the only way to control this is by setting up DescKeys, or by making sure you select the layer you want and set it current prior to creating the points.

After that, the best way to change the layer of points is to put them into a point group, and then do "Edit points" on the points group, and change the layer of all the points in the group at once.

That worked, thanks sinc. But why the color difference?

sinc

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 02:17:42 PM »
Autodesk did something weird there, and I still haven't decided if it was a brilliantly-insightful move or a bonehead move.

The Point Marker and the Point Label get handled differently:

Point Marker
  • If Point Marker Layer is set to Layer 0 in the Point Style, marker gets color from the layer the point is on
  • Otherwise, Point Marker gets color from Point Marker Layer from the Point Style

Point Label
  • If Layer is set to something other than Layer 0 in the Point Label style, Point Label will get color from the layer in the Point Label Style.
  • Otherwise, if Point is located on Layer 0, label gets color from Point Label Layer in the Point Style
  • Otherwise, Point Label gets color from the layer the point is on

I hope I got all that right...  :)

One further bug:  Lineweights and Plot Styles do not work correctly.  Instead, they will often be taken erroneously from Layer 0.  You will only notice this issue if you use Named Plot Styles, or maybe if you use CTB's that are set to "use object lineweight" instead of the more-typical "color determines lineweight".

One good way to minimize the impact of this bug is to NEVER use "Autocad Custom Markers".  Instead, create your own blocks, and set all the linework in the block to have plot style and lineweight "ByLayer".  Then use these handmade blocks as your Marker, instead of the "Autocad Custom Marker".
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 06:53:20 PM by sinc »