Author Topic: Dimensions shall be kept fully associative  (Read 25903 times)

ELOQUINTET

Dimensions shall be kept fully associative
« on: June 25, 2004, 11:54:45 AM »
do not edit dimensions:

this means editing the text <>
or changing precision of dimension

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
Re: do not edit dimensions
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 12:45:47 PM »
Quote from: eloquintet
do not edit dimensions:

Hi eloquintet, I fully agree.

Can I suggest you edit your post's title to read "Dimensions shall be kept fully associative"? Thanks. :)

Edit: You did, thanks! :)
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
Re: do not edit dimensions
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 12:58:03 PM »
Quote from: eloquintet
do not edit dimensions:

I believe that when editing existing dimensions, angle brackets ( <> ) display indicating that the default dimension text is used. This is done so that you can still have associative dimensions with additional text.
I drink beer and I know things....

t-bear

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 01:18:12 PM »
I don't think Dan meant that one should not ADD a prefix or suffix, just DON'T edit the <>......we dim to the nearest 1/16 here.  Exception would be drill&taps ... instead of editing the DIM to read 7/32, we pick the dim and, in the properties dialog, edit the number of decimal places from 4 to 5....16ths to 32nds.
Simple! And it is still an accurate, associative dim.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 04:15:24 PM »
You can right click on those dims and set it to the precision.

If your company has a standard dimstyle w/ precision defined it should ALWAYS be used, do not explode dimensions, OR override dimension text that indicates the dimension length.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

CADaver

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 10:44:07 PM »
Our company standards dictate that over-riding a dimension value with a different value WILL result in disciplinary action.  It just isn't done here.

There are case where the <> are entirly replaced with a note of some kind like "FOR THIS AREA SEE ENLARGED PLAN BELOW" or something.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2004, 12:28:17 AM »
Quote from: CADaver
Our company standards dictate that over-riding a dimension value with a different value WILL result in disciplinary action.  It just isn't done here.

There are case where the <> are entirly replaced with a note of some kind like "FOR THIS AREA SEE ENLARGED PLAN BELOW" or something.

We will do the same type thing .... similarly we will use a dimension length with a prefix and/or suffix to denote the placement and/or identification of a beam.

i.e.

W10x30 STEEL BEAM 50Ksi MIN (<>;)

Essentially this defines the item, gives it's length and shows the tolerance for diversion from the stated size.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

OU-CAD

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 11:11:34 AM »
On the RARE occassion that a dimension must be fudged (i.e. the drawing just won't fit in allocated space) our office standard requires the addtion of a "N.T.S." (Not To Scale) annotation.

CADaver

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 11:55:10 AM »
Quote from: OU-CAD
On the RARE occassion that a dimension must be fudged (i.e. the drawing just won't fit in allocated space) our office standard requires the addtion of a "N.T.S." (Not To Scale) annotation.
Fudging dims around here for any reason will draw the ire of the CAD Manager (me). If it won't fit in the allocated space, get more space, paper is cheap, errors are not.

OU-CAD

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 01:49:50 PM »
You've never had to draw a detail which had to be at a scale large enough to read the detail in the drawing (1" or 1-1/2":1'-0") and some part of it was too long to get into the sheet size used for the set of drawings?

Bob Garner

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 05:49:45 PM »
Like what OU-CAD says, when you have to dimension across a break line in an object.

CADaver

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 12:35:20 AM »
Quote from: OU-CAD
You've never had to draw a detail which had to be at a scale large enough to read the detail in the drawing (1" or 1-1/2":1'-0") and some part of it was too long to get into the sheet size used for the set of drawings?
Nope.  I'll break up the detail before fudging a dim.  Heck I'll make a whole nuther drawing first.  Usually, I just change the scale of the detail.  Around here, fudging a dim is unacceptable.

CADaver

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2004, 12:35:55 AM »
Quote from: Bob Garner
Like what OU-CAD says, when you have to dimension across a break line in an object.
We don't.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2004, 08:13:27 AM »
Another case of different worlds. Some of us are dealing with a 24"x36" real world sized object while some of us are dealing with an object that covers MANY square miles. There's no way I can draw a map with associative dimemsions. Unless you want a REALLY big piece of paper. The mind boggles at trying to envision the size of the plotter. i would hate to be the one to load the roll of paper.PAPER CUT !!!!  OOOOOWIE!!

yyou

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2004, 11:58:24 AM »
With a long object like a shaft we cannot show it all in a dwg because it is too long and too small to see.  We then have to blow it up and show a break line in the middle.  The dimension line of the overall shaft, by dim rules, has to contain a break symbol.  That dimension has to be exploded or non-asso in order to add break symbol on the dim line.