Author Topic: 5. All XREFs shall be overlayed, not attached.  (Read 24610 times)

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
5. All XREFs shall be overlayed, not attached.
« on: June 25, 2004, 09:54:38 AM »
(Seizing upon MST's inquirey).

Opinions?
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 10:04:13 AM »
circular referencing?
Civil3D 2020

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 10:22:16 AM »
I'll agree with that one. You get things showing up that you don't want or need.

Also don't hard path from an email folder!!!!
I drink beer and I know things....

t-bear

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 10:35:01 AM »
We attach xrefs....just the way I was taught.  We do NOT bind xrefs, even when sending dwg sets to the consulting engineers.....they needed a bit of training, but we lernt em bout e-transmit'n and placin' all files in one folder...etc....
Bunch-a durned country boys gotta teach 'em sity-slickers how-ta do thangs....Sheeeesh!

So.....to continue this discussion, gimme your take on WHY overlay's better'n attach......I'm willin' ta larn, but ya gotta corn-vince me!

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 10:39:43 AM »
If you have "NESTED" XREFs, XREFs that are attached or overlayed to other XREFs, the attached ones show up all of the way through, the overlayed ones only show up first time.

t-bear

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 10:57:59 AM »
But I want them to show all the way through (if I'm following you here) .  My flare pots are ref'd into my burner which is ref'd  into my flare weldment, which is ref'd into my flare top assy, which is ref'd into my site plan.  The flare pots need to show in ALL of these.....is that what you mean?  If I overlay the pots, they will only display in the burner dwg?

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 11:07:01 AM »
That's true, so in your case ATTACHING is the way to go.
However, some XREFs are only for reference and should most likely be OVERLAYED.

Hey, an Exception to the RULE. (There will always be those.)

t-bear

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 11:15:39 AM »
I love exceptions to the rules....I ARE one! LOL
I can see where overlays would work in some diciplines now .... mapping a building site for instance, but so far I can't see a use here. Now that I understand a bit more, I will be on the look-out for places that would profit from their use ... thanks!

CADaver

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 10:40:39 PM »
Two different applications.  Where XREFs are used as components in larger assemblies, ATTACH is the most friendly.  But for large area type models where the XREF is background data, OVERLAY is our preferred method.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2004, 01:45:21 AM »
If an object is only xrefed to complete the project and is not part of the final set of plans does it really matter if it is attached or simply overlayed. For example, I must xref a first floor plan,  second floor plan third .... etc on each set of following floors in a multiple story building. The reason for this is to ensure such things as mechanical chases, direct supporting columns, and plumbing lines up adequately so as to facilitate construction in the field. The final set of plans will have absolutely no bearing on whether I overlay or xref as I frequently will have three to four floors stacked one on top of another simply to allow me to properly address these concerns. In the end, the xrefs are removed, detatched, unloaded, purged and all is well.....or am I missing the point ....
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

t-bear

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2004, 12:28:02 PM »
In your case, as in mine, attached would be the way to handle the situation.  there is no problem with circular refs and they'll be removed anyhow.....

CADaver

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2004, 01:19:58 PM »
Quote from: Keith
The final set of plans will have absolutely no bearing on whether I overlay or xref as I frequently will have three to four floors stacked one on top of another simply to allow me to properly address these concerns. In the end, the xrefs are removed, detatched, unloaded, purged and all is well.....or am I missing the point ....
FOR US, many xrefs are part of the final design and remain part of the file. SOme are used for information gathering only, as you've described, but usually they are used as part of the design itself.

An example would be undergroung drainage piping.
The foundation detail models would be ATTACHED (and remain) to the FOUNDATION LOCATION PLAN (FLP) drawing file.  That file would then be OVERLAYed (and remain) to the UNDERGROUND DRAINAGE (UGD) model.  All the foundation layers would be set to plot as very thin background information only, while the piping layers would plot considerably bolder.  Any file (such as the iso drawing file) that subsequently attached the UGD model would only see that data (not the FLP).  If the FLP was desired it would have to be attached separately.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2004, 01:23:17 PM »
So, I take it that there are instances when both attached and/or overlayed xrefs would be desirable.

CADaver

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2004, 01:25:27 PM »
Quote from: Keith
So, I take it that there are instances when both attached and/or overlayed xrefs would be desirable.
Yes, different tools for different uses and different outcomes.  It's like asking which is better, a short-handled screwdriver or long?  Well if you have just a little room the short, but if it's way back there, long.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2004, 02:25:19 PM »
Isn't this true about most standards? There are good and bad reasons for each?