Author Topic: help helping others  (Read 19707 times)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
help helping others
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2004, 12:41:59 AM »
Hey, I fit into that category as well, with 12 years in AutoCAD, I have came to a point where I am the designer, I create the drawings and tell the engineer HOW it is going to be done,  if he has a problem with that then I ask him if he has a better idea. I seldom have to change a design once I have set it in writing. I am responsible for calculating bearings, beams, loads, uplifts, lateral shifts, fastening schedules, and a whole host of other tasks which would normally be left up to designers.
I cringe when people refer to me as simply the draftsman who put it on paper. It does two things, negates my input into the project as unneeded, and diminishes my worth to my current employer in his eyes. Indeed ALL AutoCAD operators should be akin to designers. It will significantly reduce the need for edits and rework.
If I correctly label a beam the checker will not have to mark it up, and I will not have to fix it, thereby making the process more efficient and much faster. You will also feel good about yourself when you don't have a million markups to do.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
help helping others
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2004, 01:10:53 AM »
I drink beer and I know things....

M-dub

help helping others
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2004, 07:33:25 AM »
Quote from: Lance Pickens
Most common comment from an Engineer I used to work with "What's taking you so long, I can do that in 15 minutes."

My boss is constantly saying to everyone, "You makin' a career out of this job or what?!"

Sometimes, it's funny...other times, it just really annoying.  :evil:

CADaver

help helping others
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2004, 07:49:06 AM »
Quote from: Lance Pickens

Can we get these added to out emoticon list???

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
help helping others
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2004, 01:16:34 PM »
I think Mark may have made a statement about that elsewhere...

Dent Cermak

help helping others
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2004, 01:34:27 PM »
I do not mind helping any of the knot heads around here. What I object to is being forced to do their job for them. Then if the client lays on any praise, Mr. P.M. struts around saying, "see I told you I was good!." and he ain't laid ONE FINGER on the job. They do that you know. So, next job, I mess it up real good. He won't catch it.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
help helping others
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2004, 02:31:48 PM »
Dent I didn't think you cared...

yyou

help helping others
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2004, 05:35:15 PM »
I have met several Cad op went back to school and got the degree; however, I have not see any engineer willing to learn how to use CAD.  Engineers always say they can fly in Acad or they can do it a lot better, faster...ect but none has fullfilled his words.

daron

help helping others
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2004, 08:55:42 AM »
Let's see if I can clear this up. When I say designer, in this case, I mean interior designer. There is one here that really does know how to use cad. The rest, at least the one's I work with, know how to use what they've been told to use. They have a strange setup here. They have cad people to draw up what the building we're working on looks like, then the designer adds the furniture, art and paint colors. The drawings then come back to cad for us to detail. We're working on trying to better the ""standards"". <-Double quoted for emphasis. The standards here are poor at best. The IT guy here used to be a cad guy. I think back in r8 or 9. He's got everybody thinking that scripts are still the best way to go. He's even gone as far as to tell a co-worker of mine that he's not allowed to create new layers because it will mess up his scripts. I told him that was crazy and have proceeded to create three necessary layers. I'm here to make some waves. I refuse to work in a sweat shop.

t-bear

help helping others
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2004, 12:05:02 PM »
Daron wrote.....
I'm here to make some waves

I *knew* there was something I liked about you.......

CADaver

help helping others
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2004, 06:52:13 PM »
Quote from: Daron
When I say designer, in this case, I mean interior designer. There is one here that really does know how to use cad...
Around here "designer" (and there are several levels) can be anyone from a degreed engineer to a hig school drop-out with a lot of experience, the term engineer is reserved for those guys with the stamp, and we have a few "drafters" but not many.  EVERYONE, except the Project Managers are ACAD literate and nearly everyone uses it with some regularity.  I've made it a point (or vendetta) to make sure everyone knows and uses it the "right" way (right for us).

Jassper

help helping others
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2004, 12:53:20 AM »
Quote from: yyou
I have not see any engineer willing to learn how to use CAD.  

Well we must be the exception to the rule, we have a few engineers who are using ACAD, they don't know it well but they will always come in and ask me how to accomplish something on cad....  they like me cause I am patient with them! the simplest things to me like .... creating a roundabout... well the engineer knows how to draw a circle but wants it tangent and rotated etc....  Another engineer wants to learn Eaglepoint ... this way he can work on the road and spec the verticle curves for speed himself.  The problem we have is the "Drafting Supervisor" wants things done HIS way- not how the engineer wants it... Gosh do they butt heads

I'm considered an Engineering Technician - Like Keith I do way more than just Drafting...  But I also understand I get paid to continually change things, a perfect example is the road I'm working on - the project is at 80 percent with all the profiles in - The engineeer comes back and says - He went to public works and they have material right close so the profile needs to be changed now no grading, road 4" above existing now and one hump before the wash can now be raked.... Oh did I mention he wants it done by next week. Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining (I can have it done in 2 days) - this is just life - this is why we get paid the big bucks to continually change things.

I for one love a challenge....  Ok I think I'm rambling now... almost my bed time...  I'll stop here. Thanks

daron

help helping others
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2004, 08:58:13 AM »
YYou, meet KateM; a regular here at the Swamp. She's an EIT last I recall. She also has a good handle on this Autocad thing, even though she is consigned to LT. If she don't know something, she knows to come here for the answer. That to me shows she knows more about autocad than most people we all here complain about on a regular basis.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
help helping others
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2004, 10:06:50 AM »
Hmmm.. I looked at Eagle Point, but never got into it... what can you tell me about it?

Dent Cermak

help helping others
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2004, 10:43:37 AM »
it sucks. it's a direct competitor to LDD. I tried it for awhile, but compared to LDD it was combersome. Didn't care for the contour package at all.