Author Topic: 1. Color and linetype shall be set bylayer.  (Read 26114 times)

nivuahc

1. Color and linetype shall be set bylayer.
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2004, 05:34:26 PM »
Blocks should be set color and linetype = BYBLOCK

Everything else should be set = BYLAYER

Now I'll tell you why:

When I put a symbol on a drawing that's a new piece of equipment (let's say a 2 X 4 fluorescent fixture) and I need to show another one that's exactly like that one, only with a DASHED linetype because it's 'existing' I can either create a new block just for existing items (which means double the amount of blocks in my library) or I can explode the block and change it that way ( :evil:  ) or, if my block is created with the linetype set to = BYBLOCK, I can select it and either change it to an 'existing' layer or change the linetype to 'dashed'.

CADaver

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2004, 09:01:01 PM »
Quote from: nivuahc
only with a DASHED linetype because it's 'existing' I can either create a new block just for existing items (which means double the amount of blocks in my library) or I can explode the block and change it that way ( :evil:  ) or, if my block is created with the linetype set to = BYBLOCK, I can select it and either change it to an 'existing' layer or change the linetype to 'dashed'.

Or you could do it the "proper" way by building it on layer zero and inserting it on the "proper" layers.

Jes kidding, so lighten up.

Anyway that's how we do it.  Everything is color, linetype and weight bylayer.  Mainly because we use the be-jeebers out of XREFs, it's hard to find a file without at least one. Being able to display the xref with a darker color to make the current file data stand out more is an aid to the design process.  The XREFd data is available, but not overpowering.

nivuahc

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2004, 05:05:52 PM »
Quote from: CADaver
Or you could do it the "proper" way by building it on layer zero and inserting it on the "proper" layers.

Yes, without a doubt. Perhaps I should have specified that. :?

But setting everything to BYBLOCK for blocks is absolutely the way to go.

Period.

If for nothin' else than 'I said so'.  :twisted:

CADaver

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2004, 05:30:21 PM »
Quote from: nivuahc
But setting everything to BYBLOCK for blocks is absolutely the way to go.

Period.

If for nothin' else than 'I said so'.  :twisted:

Hmmm... if everything is on the "proper" layer, what advantage would byblock be?

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2004, 06:11:25 PM »
Hmmm... if everything is on the "proper" layer, what advantage would byblock be?

In that context there is no advantage, but for the sake of a complete discussion, byblock would enable the child entites of the block to adopt the color of the instance, rather than the layer the instance resides on., thereby giving blocks the greatest degree of flexibility and adaptability should a spec, or need require that kind of behavior. Now before you balk, I am fully aware this flies in the face of "no hard coded colors" and I agree; hense my preface. :)
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

CADaver

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2004, 08:19:46 PM »
Quote from: MP
...by giving blocks the greatest degree of flexibility and adaptability...
Hard coding color or linetype reduces flexibility from that point on.  So what seems like more flexibility, is in actuality less.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2004, 08:24:06 PM »
Hard coding color or linetype reduces flexibility from that point on.  So what seems like more flexibility, is in actuality less.

You're preaching to the choir. :)
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

CADaver

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2004, 08:27:44 PM »
Quote from: MP

You're preaching to the choir. :)
sometimes they need to sermon more than anyone.   :wink:

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2004, 09:22:48 PM »
Even in blocks we have everything set to bylayer, simply because our layers are so well defined that if I manipulate that layer, ,I can expect that only the correct entities are affected, even those within blocks. .... and we put block entities on the layer they belong on, not layer 0, but that is for another thread....
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

CADaver

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2004, 11:49:31 PM »
Quote from: Keith
Even in blocks we have everything set to bylayer, simply because our layers are so well defined that if I manipulate that layer, ,I can expect that only the correct entities are affected, even those within blocks. .... and we put block entities on the layer they belong on, not layer 0, but that is for another thread....
We too, have precise well defined layer naming conventions for our work that eliminates the desire to change an elements property.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2004, 08:55:42 AM »
Here's a problem that I just ran into setting a linetype by layer. In R14 and prior, you used the AEC Draw command to insert a block along a line to create the symbol for sanitary sewers, water lines, gas lines, etc. With the advent of Acad2000+ and Windows XP that routine has gone to the retired list. Autocad did not provide replacement linetypes, so new linetypes were created using the Express Tools routine. Works great. You set the new line types  to the correct layers.Now you send your drawing to the client. He opens the drawing and all is well with the world. He inserts your drawing into his drawing and all of the linetypes disappear. His layers are all set to "continuous" linetype. He's too stupid to list the line to see what layer the lines are on. He's too dim witted to load a copy of your acad.lin file. My work-around is to set the line type on the individual lines. Wastes much less time than trying to deal with the retards. If they want to change the lines to their linetype, it's a one step operation, otherwise my symbols remain.

CADaver

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2004, 10:42:19 AM »
Quote from: Dent Cermak
He's too dim witted to load a copy of your acad.lin file.
Linetypes are saved in the drawing.

If they want to change the lines to their linetype, it's a one step operation, otherwise my symbols remain.
Even when I'm trying to use your file as an XREF background of existing data, your linetype remains, unchangable in the target file.  Which forces me to waste time.

The only sure way to make it idiot proof is train them so that they are no longer idiots. As I said before, IMO, the re is no "intelligent" reason to change the properties of elements.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2004, 01:13:25 PM »
Our object linetypes and colors are bylayer and only in a very few exceptions (like maybe one) an object is changed
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Dent Cermak

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2004, 01:26:10 PM »
Cadaver, linetypes , if set bylayer,  DO NOT remain in the drawing if he inserts my drawing into his setup, and has a layer named the same as mine with the linetype set to continuous. My linetypes disappear and are replaced with his continuous linetype because the line is set "bylayer'. Try it and see. I'm talking about inserting my drawing as a block, not xref'ing.And it is not my job to train my client or his/her drafter. My job is to figure a way to work around their ignorance. (Other companies REALLY don't like it when you call them to show them how to do something "right").

CADaver

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2004, 01:34:12 PM »
Cadaver, linetypes , if set bylayer,  DO NOT remain in the drawing if he inserts my drawing into his setup, and has a layer named the same as mine with the linetype set to continuous. My linetypes disappear and are replaced with his continuous linetype because the line is set "bylayer'. Try it and see. I'm talking about inserting my drawing as a block, not xref'ing.And it is not my job to train my client or his/her drafter. My job is to figure a way to work around their ignorance. (Other companies REALLY don't like it when you call them to show them how to do something "right").
If he has the same layer name with a different linetype, you're right, it takes on the linetype of his layer.  For us that is desirable behavior.  Your special linetype for your drawing, now becomes existing whatever on my drawing, and I want to control the linetype in the target drawing.  Limiting that capability reduces the flexibility of the source model.

But the linetypes are still there, they follow the drawing when it's inserted.  If I wish to restore that linetype to that layer, it's a couple of clicks away.