Author Topic: 1. Color and linetype shall be set bylayer.  (Read 26118 times)

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
1. Color and linetype shall be set bylayer.
« on: June 24, 2004, 05:57:16 PM »
Your thoughts?
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 06:06:51 PM »
I agree 110%
I drink beer and I know things....

Dent Cermak

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 06:49:51 PM »
NOPE. In our setup, color denotes pen width. Each layer does have a distinct color assigned, but sometimes we need a thinner line thus a different color.

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 06:51:21 PM »
What happens when you XREF the drawing into another and want that layer to be shaded, or thinner?

Dent Cermak

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 07:06:37 PM »
#1, we don't do much xref'ing on the final drawing. Our clients prefer  that we insert those details as a block so we don't have a problem if someone forgets to send the xrefed files with the job.
#2 if I xref and want to chang a layer color, I use the layer pull down and change it. For a permanent change I have no problem with making a copy of the drawing and changing the setup in that drawing.Just takes a second to do. SAVE AS. CHANGE, CHAMGE, CHANGE. ALL DONE.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 07:11:32 PM »
So (rhetorically speaking) when your drawing deliverables are in the thousands (each potentially referencing dozens of models) would hard coded colors and / or linetypes be a good thing in either parent or model drawings? :)
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Dent Cermak

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 07:14:08 PM »
WAY DIFFERENT FIELDS I GUESS. I WISH MY DELIVERABLES WERE IN THE THOUSANDS, BUT THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN SURVEYING/MAPPING.

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 07:54:25 AM »
I use byblock for blocks so I can relocate multiple blocks on  differing layers and have them reflect the layers they are placed on.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

M-dub

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 08:28:58 AM »
Bylayer, Bylayer, Bylayer!

Of course, there are LITTLE deviations and special cases here and there, but...

Bylayer, Bylayer, Bylayer!

Byblock isn't too bad sometimes, either...

Kate M

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 09:11:44 AM »
My biggest problem with things not "bylayer" is with xref-ed backgrounds. We bring in arch drawings and turn them grey for reference/coordination, and it's really annoying when half the drawing isn't bylayer and we have to go in and mess with it (which we're not supposed to do 'cause they're not *our* drawings).

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 02:06:30 PM »
Using "Named plot styles" or "Color dependent plot styles"?

sometimes i refedit my blocks to be byblock, but very --VERY-- rarely.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

t-bear

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2004, 02:39:05 PM »
Good point 7,  the debate between CTB's and STB's could go on forever but not here....right?  Point being, your use of bylayer will depend on which you are using.
So it might be apropo (SP) to say that "when using color dependant plot styles......color & linetype shall be set bylayer".  That better?

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2004, 04:11:05 PM »
Quote from: t-bear
Good point 7,  the debate between CTB's and STB's could go on forever but not here....right?  Point being, your use of bylayer will depend on which you are using.
So it might be apropo (SP) to say that "when using color dependant plot styles......color & linetype shall be set bylayer".  That better?

Well T-Bear, I had said something akin to that yesterday when I attempted to post it, evidently the swamp went down .... so... now I find myself searching posts to see which ones I didn't read...

Oh well, as you said, if you use CTB plot styles then you must assign the color that defines the lineweight, presumably that is bylayer, but if you use lineweight settings set the objects bylayer always.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

AVCAD

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2004, 04:59:52 PM »
YOUR ALL NUTS!!!

EVERY OBJECT SHOULD BE BYLAYER I DONT CARE WHAT YOU THINK!!

Xref's should be halftoned make the color 8 and 9 with 9 being allittle more black then 8.

use the first 7 colors as your main color and have you blocks set up with those so they can be bylayer.

and set up other layers with other colors you have 255+ colors to chose from..and unlimited amount of layers. There is no reason that your objects shouldnt be set to bylayer.

You people create so much more work for the rest of the world.

what happens when you have blocks that have layers that are one color and the objects in that block are another color.....I CANT CHANGE THE COLOR!!! then I have to go in and burst all your damn blocks set then all to bylayer and then change the color.

If you would just use bylayer to begin with I and the rest of the world would only have to change the layer color and I would beable to leave your block alone!!!

And beside that BLocks should only be one color anyways!! You shouldnt have 3 layers for the same block!! POOP make the how block yellow and make yellow print out black.

AHHHHH...I am done!

==========================
EDIT: Let's keep the language civil. Yelling is one thing, foul language is another. We're all professionals here, right?

-Nivuahc
==========================

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2004, 05:29:44 PM »
Now, now, let's be polite.