Author Topic: How Accurate can you be?  (Read 9159 times)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: How Accurate can you be?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 10:35:09 AM »
Well said Richard!

Now how do you feel about showing Record & Measured vs showing Positional Error of a discovered monument or pin?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sinc

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 08:52:18 PM »
Well said Richard!

Now how do you feel about showing Record & Measured vs showing Positional Error of a discovered monument or pin?

I think it depends on what I'm doing, what sort of records already exist, and the exact circumstances.  I don't think there's an absolute rule.

sinc

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 09:07:11 PM »
But to try to get back to the original point, I think that no matter what, the important question is not "how closely can it be staked?" but "how closely can it be built?"

That depends largely on the type of building and how it is constructed.  If it is one of those prefabricated metal buildings, then it will probably end up being pretty close to plan.  If it's built entirely in-place and has a masonry facade or something like that, then you can get rather significant variations.

Then keep in mind that the same issues apply to the asbuilts of the existing building.  Sometimes it is really hard to tell exactly where the building edge or building corner lies.  It is often quite easy to fudge 0.1' or more just with that.  Add to that the fact that building walls can easily drift 0.2' or more either way along their length, and it becomes quite easy to have significant error in the asbuilt of the existing building.

How tight exactly are you talking?  Is it a situation where you have less than one foot of wiggle-room?  When placing buildings, we generally try to put them at least 1 foot from setbacks and easements, just to be safe, but that's a pretty generous buffer.  I'd still want to leave at least 0.5', again just because the repurcussions are so bad if the building is built wrong.  But if you don't even have 0.5', then the most important thing is how it is being constructed, out of what kind of materials, and does it have a facade.  And know that you are in dangerous territory.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007, 10:04:56 AM »
First off I want to say thanks to all for your Input.  I have been purposely keeping my mouth shut and sitting on my hands and just reading your post so I learn something.    :-)

How tight exactly are you talking?  Is it a situation where you have less than one foot of wiggle-room?  When placing buildings, we generally try to put them at least 1 foot from setbacks and easements, just to be safe, but that's a pretty generous buffer.  I'd still want to leave at least 0.5', again just because the repurcussions are so bad if the building is built wrong.  But if you don't even have 0.5', then the most important thing is how it is being constructed, out of what kind of materials, and does it have a facade.  And know that you are in dangerous territory.

To us Archies it seems tight and a tough layout, but from reading your post, it may not be .
Back ground
We are renovating an 4 floor existing 1912 school into elderly housing 1 bedroom apartments.  Then off to one side the new building that is  a  4 floor with 40 1 bedroom units.  Then between the buildings there is going to be a 1 1/2 story connector that will serve as the main entry.  our concern how to maintain this connector with at one corner of the new building and maintaine an 24" setback on the other corner.

and Yes it will be masonry construction.

Attached is a drawing of the buildings profiles and couple pretty pictures.  The existing building profile and set backs are from the surveyor cad file.  Be forewarned I rotated the file to match conventional drawing standards that architects use  :-) 

Image Backside
Image Entry
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Josh Nieman

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 10:18:32 AM »
I have nothing useful to add to this discussion (though thanks to all who participated as well... because I, too, learned a lot)

but I just wanted to say... that's some kick#%@ images.  Nice presentation!

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007, 10:48:29 AM »

but I just wanted to say... that's some kick#%@ images.  Nice presentation!

We can't take credit for the images, we farm that out.  This is guy is unbelievable at what he can do.  He has good rates, good turn around time.  This is hobby/second job for him.  He is a plant engineer by day/night (I can't remember which) for a paper mill.   We could do it in house but we would not get the same level of quality in the same time frame that he does it in.

We are getting into Google sketch up for some of the front end discussions with the clients.  In the future who knows.

drizzt

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 12:54:05 PM »
The images look like accurender to me. I like that software, although I don't know what the current version is!

sinc

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2007, 03:20:51 PM »
Then between the buildings there is going to be a 1 1/2 story connector that will serve as the main entry.  our concern how to maintain this connector with at one corner of the new building and maintaine an 24" setback on the other corner.

That's a bit hard to parse...  But are you basically concerned by that south corner hitting a setback?  There's some 2.5' of room there, so the builders would have to completely ignore the surveyor's stakes to get it that far off.  And they should also have no problem building the connector.  I don't think you have any issues, from what I see.

BTW, I noticed that your setbacks are not parallel to your lot lines on the "west" and "south" boundaries.  That's probably not right.  The setback distance on the south varies by more than a foot.  But again, you have a lot of room, so it's probably not a problem, just one of those things that civies like to complain about when they get DWGs from archies....   :wink:

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2007, 09:42:07 AM »
That's a bit hard to parse...  But are you basically concerned by that south corner hitting a setback?  There's some 2.5' of room there, so the builders would have to completely ignore the surveyor's stakes to get it that far off.  And they should also have no problem building the connector.  I don't think you have any issues, from what I see.

Thanks.

BTW, I noticed that your setbacks are not parallel to your lot lines on the "west" and "south" boundaries.  That's probably not right.  The setback distance on the south varies by more than a foot.  But again, you have a lot of room, so it's probably not a problem, just one of those things that civies like to complain about when they get DWGs from archies....   :wink:
Not Me.  I called up the Civil Guy and asked him for his cad file.  I strip all the extra junk you guys throw in the file (so you guys can justify your cost  :wink:), change the layer color, and pre-fix the layer name.  Then scale factor also. after that, I rotated the whole file about a corner of the existing building so that the existing building wall is parallel with the "X" axis.  That is all I did.  That is my story and I am sticking to it.   :-D

Thanks guys for your input.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2007, 01:19:35 PM »
that's some kick#%@ images.  Nice presentation!

True Dat.  Awesome renderings!

CADaver

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2007, 01:57:47 PM »
But to try to get back to the original point, I think that no matter what, the important question is not "how closely can it be staked?" but "how closely can it be built?"
Concrete placing tolerances are governed by ACI-117-06
And teel by the A.I.S.C.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2007, 02:20:20 PM »
And teel by the A.I.S.C.

Funny, I thought limits on Teal were set by the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries.

CADaver

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »
And teel by the A.I.S.C.

Funny, I thought limits on Teal were set by the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries.
You guys are gonna hurt my feelings now...

... never mind

Josh Nieman

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2007, 03:29:03 PM »
Couldn't resist.  :lol: