Author Topic: OpenDCL lessons  (Read 6185 times)

crowellsr

OpenDCL lessons
« on: April 13, 2007, 05:11:07 PM »
I was wondering if anyone knows of any lessons to teach the basics of OpenDCL. I have never worked with DCL before but would like to make a fairly simple dialog box that allows you to select what variables you want to input.

Thanks

Steve

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
Re: OpenDCL lessons
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 08:44:34 PM »
Steve,

There is a basic starter routine described in the help files.
The samples are a good place to play.

How are your lisp skills ?
What did you have in mind ?

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

crowellsr

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 09:53:41 PM »
I am working on a highway curve program that has a dialog box where the user can choose which method they want to use to calculate the curve  such as chord, length, Angle, radius or tangent I have all of the programs written I just want to incorporate them into a dialog box which takes the input such as radius and angle and decides which module to run and uses the inputted value in the program. If the user inputs radius and angle, I want the radius and angle module to run and use the inputted values. Is this possible?

Thanks

Steve

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 10:03:34 PM »
yes.

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

crowellsr

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 09:20:40 AM »
Would the examples in help be enough to shw me how to do this?

Steve

dan19936

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 11:10:53 AM »
Have you done dialogs before? (regular DCL)
You app sounds like it needs some graphics to explain, I did only my first DCL a month ago (without images) and it took quite a while to teach myself & get up to speed. Your app might have a steep learning curve, but no way to know til you dive in. OpenDCL is free, just download it and take a look at the help files. Mark probably doesn't remember and he'd have to go look it up to give you a good answer. If you need tips on standard dialogs, there are plenty on this site, and here are three:

http://www.jefferypsanders.com/autolisp_DCL.html
http://www.afralisp.net/lispa/lisp48.htm
http://web2.airmail.net/terrycad/

Dan
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 07:18:57 PM by dan19936 »

DW

• Newt
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 11:43:30 AM »
Would the examples in help be enough to shw me how to do this?

Steve, the examples that come with OpenDCL and the tutorials in the Help file will give you a good introduction and should be enough to get you started.  The examples directory is worth looking through as the lisp files for each example dialog are commented to help explain how they work.  Also have a look at the tutorials in the help file - the 'Hello World' dialog exercise is a good starter and can be followed by the AutoDesk University Tutorial. Have a look at the 'Getting Started' topic for links to the tutorials. 

Let us know how you go and if there are things that don't make sense, the help files are under construction and may benefit from a bit of fine tuning. 

David

crowellsr

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 04:44:44 PM »
I have never done any DCL before so this should be interesting. I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks

Steve