Author Topic: Inroads  (Read 3980 times)

Tad

Inroads
« on: April 05, 2007, 10:10:57 AM »
Does anyone know of a relatively simple way to import Inroads data (dtm, dgn, alg etc) into either LDT 2006 or 2007 or C3D 2006 or 2007 and then back to Inroads? I have to collaborate with DOT on a project and they speak a different language - and we're not buying Inroads!

Thanks,
Tad

Re: Inroads
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 10:34:23 AM »
You can import DGNs into Land Desktop (not 100% sure about C3D) using the MAPIMPORT command.  As for writing back to DGNs.....

Tad

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 10:40:03 AM »
I know I can import dgns, although it's not a pretty thing. The files I'm getting make up something similar to project files. Can I reassemble and reassociate this somehow?

Tad

Dinosaur

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 10:48:06 AM »
Civil 3D includes fully functioning MAP so the imports should work but Civil 3D objects are diferent from any other object type in the industry.  If you create any of these, the drawing will export with proxy objects unless the drawing is exported to a vanilla dwg file before making the return trip to MS.

Civil 3D stores all project information in the drawing and does not use any of those project files so I would guess you could use a direct copy if you wanted for reference but nothing new will be added to them by Civil 3D.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 11:41:01 PM »
Inroads is a Mikeystation thing and the two do not play well together.  If your client is running inroads on Mikeystation V8, he should be able to open your DWG files easier than vice versa. Matter of fact, I believe he can work within the DWG  file and return it to you as a DWG.
The MAP conversion thing works pretty well once you get it setup. It does have an import AND an export  option, but I would keep my fingers crosssed.

sinc

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 06:05:20 PM »
Does anyone know of a relatively simple way to import Inroads data (dtm, dgn, alg etc) into either LDT 2006 or 2007 or C3D 2006 or 2007 and then back to Inroads? I have to collaborate with DOT on a project and they speak a different language - and we're not buying Inroads!

Thanks,
Tad

You can't use that data directly, but you should be able to import a LandXML version of it.  Can you go back to the source of the drawings and ask them for a LandXML export?

Bentley defined their LandXML files slightly differently than Autodesk's, and this caused a problem at one point.  I believe there was a patch for 2006 that you may need to find on Autodesk's web page, because I don't think they ever included it in the service packs (although they might have).  I don't think it's a problem in 2007, but this issue hasn't come up with us for a long time, so I don't know for certain.