Author Topic: Autocad - Hidden shademode shows tangential lines  (Read 5670 times)

Josh Nieman

Autocad - Hidden shademode shows tangential lines
« on: March 30, 2007, 05:37:51 PM »
...and I hate it.

Here are a couple shots of a couple connections... they're a little rough, they were 3dclipped semi quickly. 

As you can see, the fillet on any structural shape shows as another line.

Is there a way to make it not show tangential lines?  See:

Using the new visual styles is not an option, because the 3D Hidden visual style or creating any visual style of my own, will not plot properly.  They plot in color, ByLayer.  It ignores the .ctb file.

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
Re: Autocad - Hidden shademode shows tangential lines
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 05:40:00 PM »
Try setting 'DispSilh' to 1.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 05:40:07 PM »
To clarify, the piece marked "HSS4x4" is a square tube... which naturally has rounded corners.  Well it SHOULD just show 2 lines displaying the extents... but instead it shows the edge of the fillet as well, which makes it look like it's actually a W-shape column, whereas it's a tube.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 05:40:37 PM »
Try setting 'DispSilh' to 1.

I've tried that setting each way already, in fact that plot was made with it set to 1.  And I have tried 0 already

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 05:46:23 PM »
I don't know what else to try then.  Mabe it's not drawn correctly, as when I draw a cynclinder here it show correctly when I hide it (as piccy shows).  Sorry.
Tim

Josh Nieman

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 05:50:01 PM »
My cylinders are fine... as you can see, the bolts display quite well.

My problem is my Channels, Angles, W Shapes, and Tubes.

Think of an extruded, filleted-rectangle

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 06:22:43 PM »
Okay.  Here is one pline type angle (which I extruded), with three fillets, and they all show how they should.  Just one line where they start and stop.  So I'm not sure why yours are not working correctly.
Tim

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 09:26:19 PM »
Isolines default at 4 try 0

CADaver

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 12:09:42 AM »
Sorry Josh, it's been that way a long time and there's nothing I've found that will make 'em go away. :cry:  My 3D steel routine leaves the fillets out.

whdjr

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 08:43:08 AM »
"...tangential lines..."   almost sounds like some kind of disease or something.  :-o

Josh Nieman

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 10:23:13 AM »
Sorry Josh, it's been that way a long time and there's nothing I've found that will make 'em go away. :cry:  My 3D steel routine leaves the fillets out.

Yea, I figured you'd know... I was hoping for a different answer though ;)

Is this 3d steel routine you have something ya'll have in house, or something someone freely developed where I could access it?  I've been content with Al's Steel Mill for a while...

I do like having the fillets on there because it helps show conflicts a bit more... like if I'm going to have a bolted connection with a W8 centered vertically on the web of a W10... but I think it'd come down to the cases like that where I'd need to check the fillet... they'd be rare enough that it would be moot.

As for isolines, I've tried the setting at 1 or 4... not zero... but I'm about to go to the office to get some more work done so I'll give it whirl.

Thank you all for the help and advice.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 05:18:11 PM »

I take the tangent line for granted.

Funny how the brain works.
Here in Aus', the effective thread on bolts is nom' 2D + 6mm which means that the nut could not be tightened for your bolts as depicted. Are the bolts specified differently there or does the depiction use a little artistic license ?

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 12:35:40 PM »

I take the tangent line for granted.

Funny how the brain works.
Here in Aus', the effective thread on bolts is nom' 2D + 6mm which means that the nut could not be tightened for your bolts as depicted. Are the bolts specified differently there or does the depiction use a little artistic license ?

The bolts on there are not drawn properly.  I'm in the process of searching for / creating my own hardware library.  I mainly just created them off the top of my head.  The washers are the only ones that I checked the actual dim off... as for the bolt PLACEMENT though, I made sure to follow AISC min. requirements for workable guage of structural shapes as well as min. distance from sheared or rolled edge for bolt placement.  I love my fat black steel book.  Without it, I'd suck so much more.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 01:36:29 PM »

Wait, let me guess... you just have a LSP that draws the shape directly from the spreadsheet included with the AISC Steel Manual cd, huh?

I'm thinking I may need to do that... or find one online that already has o.0

Josh Nieman

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 01:55:17 PM »
I think I've found a good routine that doesn't include the fillets.... after trying 5 others out.

It creates polyface meshes, not 3dsolids.. which sucks.

On the plus side, I can use a simple stretch command if I need to lengthen or shorten the beam... on the down side, you can't COPE the beam, by simple subtracting a solid from it... and we do mostly welded connections since we serve offshore companies with a whole lot of welders on staff.

I uh... hmph... man this is no fun.  I'm going to have to make my own I think.  Man I don't time for this.  I'm going to have to use the dang solprof command to get these drawings out.... or I guess the smarter thing is to remove the fillet from the beams... luckily they are two, small, platforms... bleh...