Author Topic: LDT or C3D, need your advice  (Read 3068 times)

FengK

LDT or C3D, need your advice
« on: May 04, 2007, 05:07:11 PM »
We have licenses for both LDT2007 and C3D2007. I'm familiar with vanilla AutoCAD but have almost no experience with either LDT or C3D. Which one should I start learning to use? On a scale from 1 to 10, how mature/stable you think C3D2007 is? Btw, we've been using Eagle Point in our office. In the long run, we're thinking of transition into Autodesk products. Thanks for your input.

drizzt

Re: LDT or C3D, need your advice
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 05:10:02 PM »
I have been following the C3D option since it first came out. From what I have gathered, 2008 is the soonest you would want to go to C3D. Eventually LDT will not be offered unless you get C3D (assumption there). I have not had any hands on experience with C3D, but I have seen it in action, and I want it bad!!

sinc

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 05:41:31 PM »
LDT is a program that is on life support.  It hasn't been changed or added to since at least the 2004 version, and Autodesk is threatening to pull the plug completely sometime in the next few years.

C3D is still having growing pains, and is at-best still a "beta solution", but I can't really recommend learning LDT at this point, if you have any say in the decision.  They both have a learning curve, but different ones, so learning LDT won't really help you learn C3D.  And C3D is significantly more-powerful than LDT.  Once you get used to it and familiar with all the current problems, you will be able to do things faster and better than in Land Desktop.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 06:05:25 PM »
Also, I've heard from many others that those who have never used LDT prior to C3D, picked up C3D MUCH quicker than those coming from a LDT background.

The big thing is, when you install C3D2007, before you do ANYTHING else, get and install the SP3 service pack! Then have fun! :-)

Dinosaur

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 06:24:58 PM »
Without a doubt, forget about messing with Land Desktop at this point - this could very well be its final release and if the current trend continues, r2010 may bring another dwg format change.  I jumped from r13 compatible EaglePoint to LDT 2004 and it was quite an adjustment that I never fully made.  I started moving to Civil 3D with the r2005 and didn't look back.  There is really nothing you can learn with Land Desktop that will assist enough in learning Civil 3D to make it worth going through twice.  It may even be an easier adjustment directly from EaglePoint.

FengK

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 06:51:23 PM »
thanks for all the replies. very helpful. i'm glad you guys didn't recommend different things. C3D it is then.

jpostlewait

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 07:58:08 PM »
thanks for all the replies. very helpful. i'm glad you guys didn't recommend different things. C3D it is then.

They are right.

sinc

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 09:05:50 PM »
On a scale from 1 to 10, how mature/stable you think C3D2007 is?

And keep in mind that, unlike some of Autodesk's other products, you DO NOT want to get C3D without a subscription.  One of the best quotes I've heard recently is that C3D 2008 is really C3D 2005 SP11.  Take that to heart - there are enough problems with the software that you want to make sure you can always install the latest version.  (But don't get me wrong - even with the problems, C3D is better than LDT.)

And also keep in mind that Autodesk is not even maintaining backward-compatibility from one year to the next.  C3D 2008 can open and use C3D 2007 drawings, but not the other way around.  So if you are on C3D 2007 and you start working with someone else on C3D 2008, you will have a problem.  Your only choice will be to take an XML dump of their data and recreate everything else you need from there.

FengK

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 04:32:41 AM »
sinc, thanks for the additional info. the fact Autodesk is not maintaining backward-compatibility is a little supprising, maybe because they're making too many changes with each new release. but since we're not dumping Eagle Point any time soon, i guess it won't be a big problem. we'll just start learning C3D and practice it on small projects.

Cannon

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 01:50:05 PM »
And not one of you recommended that Kelie and the firm get training from a pro?

Farrell, I think we deserve to feel hurt.  :wink: