Author Topic: dll reader  (Read 5141 times)

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
dll reader
« on: February 22, 2007, 02:39:48 PM »
When I'm trying to code something new that I don't know what the properties and methods are, it would be helpful to have another window open to see what properties and methods an object has.  I know you can switch between them, and that is what I do now, but I lose my place all the time.  I have searched the net, and have found nothing.  Does anyone know of a program to view the dll files to see what properties they have? Or know how to take that window in SharpDevelop and have it exist on its own when coding?

Any help is appreciated.  Hope the question makes sense, it was kind of hard for me to explain it.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Re: dll reader
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 03:17:35 PM »
Well, you could always load the dll into AutoCAD using vlisp then search using the apropos window. I have found many methods I didn't know existed by that method .. but another method is to download a program called depends .. which lists the dependencies of a dll (imports from other dlls) and the exposed functions of the selected dll. This is useful when trying to hack undocumented APIs of other programs ... for example, you can run the depends program on AutoCAD and find all of the exported functions, you can load and use them in your own program, except most won't work in programs that are not loaded directly into the AutoCAD process.

Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 03:28:15 PM »
http://www.aisto.com/roeder/dotnet/

Reflector for .NET
Reflector is the class browser, explorer, analyzer and documentation viewer for .NET. Reflector allows to easily view, navigate, search, decompile and analyze .NET assemblies in C#, Visual Basic and IL.

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 03:45:28 PM »
Keith,

I don't know how to use vlide, so I couldn't figure it out when I did a quick look just now.  I also downloaded the the depends program, but it looks like you have to know a lot about computers and programing to uderstand it completely, so guess what.... I didn't find what I was looking for in it, but I may one day.  :-)  Thanks for the tips.

Kerry,

This looks like what I was looking for.  I remember you talking about it before now, but didn't see it in my searches today.

Thank you both.
Tim

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 03:48:52 PM »
.. and it has a search option which is great
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 03:52:28 PM »
Now we shall see if I can get this plotting routine to work correctly.  I'm happy now.   :lol: :-)

Sometimes my happiness at work scares me (only the reasons why I'm happy).
Tim

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 03:55:54 PM »
........... plotting routine to work correctly.  ..............

[incantation]
bubble,bubble, toil and trouble

[/incantation]

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 04:01:27 PM »
Keith,

I don't know how to use vlide, so I couldn't figure it out when I did a quick look just now.  I also downloaded the the depends program, but it looks like you have to know a lot about computers and programing to uderstand it completely, so guess what.... I didn't find what I was looking for in it, but I may one day.  :-)  Thanks for the tips.

Kerry,

This looks like what I was looking for.  I remember you talking about it before now, but didn't see it in my searches today.

Thank you both.
You are welcome ...

Incidently the depends program (in the top right window) shows the exported functions as well as any required data types. It works on all kinds of dlls, not just .net

Perhaps when you understand it a little more it may provide some useful insight into programmatic interaction and reducing the need to duplicate code already on the users system.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 04:04:40 PM »
........... plotting routine to work correctly.  ..............

[incantation]
bubble,bubble, toil and trouble

[/incantation]
Yea, I know.  I have read the post by you and Glenn, and am now trying to understand what I'm getting into.  I even got some code off the ADN site, and it didn't work for me.  LOL.  I change the one posted by Mark here which worked here with a little tweak, but still can't get the 'centered' option to work.  Will post something when I get something.  :ugly:

You are welcome ...

Incidently the depends program (in the top right window) shows the exported functions as well as any required data types. It works on all kinds of dlls, not just .net

Perhaps when you understand it a little more it may provide some useful insight into programmatic interaction and reducing the need to duplicate code already on the users system.
This what I hope one day.  Thanks again.
Tim