Author Topic: C# book for AutoCAD  (Read 24004 times)

TR

Re: C# book for AutoCAD
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2007, 11:55:30 PM »
I'd probably be interested.  I haven't tried anything with BOO yet, but I'm already a fan of Python.  It looks to me like Boo is a compiled language that is very-much like Python - is that the case?

I've been moderately-happy with C# - it's much easier to code with than C++ - but if Boo can create basically the same CIL code as C# and is easier/faster to code with, then I'm interested...

Have you done much with it?  Is there anything you've tried to do and couldn't, because the language doesn't support it yet?
Yes BOO is very much like python, however there are quite a few differences, like type declaration. This isn't really a problem though, I code in python 90% of the time and I haven't had any trouble getting used to BOO's syntax. If you want to compare the languages differences of C# and BOO see here.

I haven't done much with it other than the project I'm working on now. I have yet to run into anything that has given me a significant amount of trouble. For the project I'm using things like WinForms, ODBC and managing all the drawing database stuff, which isn't something trivial like a console app. It seems to be working out well for me.

Lemank

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2007, 09:13:08 PM »
I would also be interested in more information/examples

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2011, 04:53:31 AM »
I hope you did not give up on it.

Put me down for one.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2011, 06:11:49 AM »
Thread officially zombified - Put me down for a copy of your book also, Kerry!
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2011, 06:14:33 AM »

Thanks guys,
I think about it every couple of months ... then real life takes over again :)

... and then there is the issue of capability and expectations ...
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2011, 06:45:38 AM »

Thanks guys,
I think about write a little for it every couple of months ... then real life takes over again :)

... and then there is the issue of capability and expectations ...

To offer you some encouragement, perhaps this slight change will help to make all the difference?  :wink:

FWIW - I've only been developing for 1+ year with Visual LISP predominantly, so coming from a Visual LISPer's point of view, David M Stein's written some VLISP books that read well and I felt offered some great framework for moving from 'What is a defun?' to 'how to apply a namespace to a object oriented routine...' Hence my Thanks David thread.

Again, not being sure of the target audience you had in mind, but if I *had* to be more technically capable prior to reading your book, then I'd find a way to finish all 590 pages of the C# Bible first... You know, if I *had* to. :-P LoL

Having an understanding of others' expectations is great, but ultimately it comes down to your decision(s) - you can't write the book for everyone else - you have to write it for you. My $0.02

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2011, 11:29:40 AM »
you can't write the book for everyone else - you have to write it for you. My $0.02
I guess a book written for yourself and not others would be worth $0.02

The way I see it is the market is not really huge, but except for Jerry Winters book I do not think there are any other books.

Would get the C# crowd interested.
There is a ton of great resources for .NET out so it might not be worth it to cover much .NET?
Although you see comments all the time as if .NET does not exists except for AutoCAD development.

I would rather read 10 pages explaining how it works than a bunch of examples.

What I think is really missing is well written, well ordered, book explaining the API, which I guess takes a good understanding of ObjectARX.

So I guess you will send the first draft within in month? :?

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2011, 03:26:56 PM »
you can't write the book for everyone else - you have to write it for you. My $0.02

A book written for others and not yourself... isn't that what Congress does?

Of course an author writes a book to/for an audience; they want to make sales. I simply meant that if there's nothing about the book that personally drives him (Kerry), then he won't be motivated to write it in the first place.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2011, 03:28:42 PM »

Of course an author writes a book to/for an audience; they want to make sales. I simply meant that if there's nothing about the book that personally drives him (Kerry), then he won't be motivated to write it in the first place.
Knew what you meant and agree and was just joking,

maybe I need to learn to use those smiley things.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2011, 09:23:12 AM »

Knew what you meant and agree and was just joking,

maybe I need to learn to use those smiley things.

My mistake... I took your comment(s) literally. I'll try to stop being so serious. LoL

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2013, 03:35:41 AM »
Please tell me this is a real project :/

What sort if information would YOU expect to find in a book on C# Programming for AutoCAD {taming the beast}®  ?

What would you pay for it { us$ } ?

*taming : transitive verb

1 a : to reduce from a wild to a domestic state
   b : to subject to cultivation
   c : to bring under control :

*beast : noun

3 : something formidably difficult to control or deal with