Author Topic: Menu Problem...  (Read 5931 times)

hudster

• Gator
Menu Problem...
« on: June 07, 2004, 08:58:08 AM »
Today is my first day back after a 3 week holiday  :cry:

While I was away numerous people were using my computer and they have mucked up my AutoCAD menus.

I reloaded my saved profile, but the standard menu won't re-set, so the plot, cut, paste, copy functions and a few more are all missing.

Doesn anyone know how I can restore them?
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Re: Menu Problem...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 09:24:06 AM »
Quote from: Hudster
I bet that was tough!

I reloaded my saved profile, but the standard menu won't re-set, so the plot, cut, paste, copy functions and a few more are all missing.

Command:menu
browse to acad.mns
if you have custom menus then load them with menuload afterwards.

HTH
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
Menu Problem...
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 10:12:30 AM »
I would start by threatening the guilty parties with various forms of pain and ridicule; escalate as required.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

hudster

• Gator
Menu Problem...
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 11:59:26 AM »
reloading the acad.mns didn't work the cut and paste, clipboard etc are all still missing.

As for getting revenge, it was a contractor who did this, why did they let him use my machine? :evil:
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Menu Problem...
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 12:03:41 PM »
reloading the acad.mns didn't work the cut and paste, clipboard etc are all still missing.

tools -> options -> user pref's see Windows standard accel. keys.

did that work?
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Trev

Menu Problem...
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 11:09:24 PM »
Your not talking something as simple as
View >
Toolbars >
then tick 'Standard Toolbars'

or a complete menu malfunction meltdown

hudster

• Gator
Menu Problem...
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 03:51:28 AM »
it is ticked, but half the icons on it are missing, and I can't remember what used to be there.

User prefs are ticked.

I ended up manually putting them back into place, but i'm sure I've missed something.

t-bear

Menu Problem...
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 09:04:32 AM »
Well, the missing stuff will come to you with time....and need.  Been there. It's never "something simple" is it?
 Next time you leave for an extended period, just pull the cord and take it with you.  By the time IT figures out what's wrong, you'll be back!

pmvliet

Menu Problem...
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 03:50:31 PM »
You can always get a clean copy of the Acad MNU & MNS and put on your machine...
Someone either created a new toolbar and drug them off or just drup them off and it automatically get's deleted. You could jsut erase the MNS file as the MNU will have the original settings. Has the date on the MNS or MNC file been changed to something while you were gone?

Pieter

andyanderson

Menu Problem...
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2004, 09:40:36 PM »
There is an excellent tome by Mark Middlebrook on how to set up menus so that you won't get screwed up again and different operators can use their own profiles without messing up everybody elses menus.  BTW, one of his interesting conclusions is to get rid of the .MNU file.  It's a legacy thing goiing back to R13 (14?).

Go to http://www.markcad.com/autocad/acadmenus.htm for more info.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Menu Problem...
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 12:16:20 AM »
Mark has some very good ideas regarding menus, however, rather than delete the *.mnu files I recommend copying and/or moving them to a safe place (along with your MNS files) so that you may replace them in the event of something screwey going on....

Incedently I just recently migrated my AutoCAD from one computer to another and the new system had a fresh install of AutoCAD....I was able to retain all of my setting by following the following simple rules:

Place all custom programs,menus, and other files in a common location AWAY from the default AutoCAD programs.
Before migrating, export your profile to a new ARG file.
Open the registry with Regedit and export the key:
HKCU/Software/AutoDesk to a registry file (*.reg)

Move your custom files, ARG and *.reg file to the new system.
Before starting AutoCAD, place all of the custom files in the same location in reference to root folder of AutoCAD (presuming you are migrating to the same version just from one system to another)
Merge the registry file
Create a new shortcut referencing the arg profile as the current one.
Start AutoCAD with the new shortcut.
Everything will be EXACTLY like you had on the other computer.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

pmvliet

Menu Problem...
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2004, 04:25:06 PM »
I looked high and low to find what the new purpose of the MNU file was nowadays. Back in r12, we edited the MNU file to get our changes.
Like Keith, I am still not comfortable just blowing it away.

The default for AutoCad is still asking for a MNU.
I did a small session with my users for custom user menu's and I told them once they get things tweaked to save their MNS as their MNU.
That way when they do re-compile their menu, they won't loose items.

Keith, that is some good information on getting user's set-up the exact same way from one system to another. We routinely give users newer machines and there is always a little downtime due to all these little variances. If I could get all the changes you did into a batch routine, it would help immensley.

Thanks,
Pieter

Trev

Re: Menu Problem...
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2004, 02:43:55 AM »

While I was away numerous people were using my computer and they have mucked up my AutoCAD menus.

Hudster!
I think I found a possible cause.
Do you or have you got a program such as 'Registry First Aid' ?
I used it the other day & bammo there goes all my menus etc. it cleans out the autocad profiles. The profiles still exist but the custom menu setting in the registry get removed. So you have to reload your menus etc.  I didn't cotton on until I did it the second time, then the penny dropped.  cha ching.  :idea:  :idea:

So it's quite possible the guy using your PC while you where away used this program or similar or your IT boffin went around and did something along those lines.

andyanderson

Thanks
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2004, 03:30:39 AM »
Keith:

I copied your info into a Word document for later reference.  Like I always say, never stop learning.

M-dub

Menu Problem...
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2004, 07:49:46 AM »
We're getting ready to upgrade a bunch of software (and hardware) in the Drawing Office, so I'm beginning an intense backup of all files I think I might need.  I'll have to work with the menus a bit because we're moving from 2000 to 2004.  We just use a partial menu here, but does anyone have experience migrating their menus from 2000 to 2004?  Is there much work involved?  Right now I have absolutely no idea...I love surprises. ;)