Author Topic: ( C3D ) Draw Order not honored when creating new drawings from template  (Read 2576 times)

sinc

Here's another problem with points for those of you using Civil-3D.

In C3D, all symbols (for Desc Keys, etc.) are now included in your drawing template.  When a new drawing is created, C3D will create a "copy" of the template, and this template contains a copy of your symbol library.  When it does this, it ignores the draw order of any objects in your symbol library, and their draw order reverts to the order in which the objects were drawn.

Where we notice this is in symbols that contain wipeouts.  For example, one symbol that we use for found monuments (e.g., lot corners) is an open circle, as in the attached image.  The symbol also contains a wipeout, so that the linework under the symbol is hidden.  This makes the corner stand out better, and keeps it from looking like a filled-in circle.

The first attached drawing illustrates the problem.  There should be an open-triangle symbol in the attached image, at the point indicated by "SYMBOL BEHIND WIPEOUT".  Basically, this symbol was created by drawing a polyline in the shape of a triangle, then that polyline was used to create a wipeout.  Then the user selected the wipeout, and used the "Move to Back" command to change the draworder.  When a new drawing is created from the template, Autocad loses the draw order settings in the block.  So all drawings created from this template have symbols that look as-shown in the image.

With the circle (indicated by "WIPEOUT BEHIND SYMBOL"), the wipeout was created BEFORE the circle.  There is no need to use the "Move to Back" command to adjust the draw order, because the circle was drawn on top of the wipeout.  And as a result, the open-circle symbol appears correctly in drawings created from the template, as-shown in the image.

The second drawing is what things look like after the problem has been fixed.  I went into the template, and ran BEDIT on the open-triangle symbol.  In that block, I deleted the existing triangle, and drew a new triangle over the wipeout.  I then saved my changes to the template, created a new drawing, and dumped the points into the drawing.  This time both symbols are displayed correctly, as shown in the second drawing.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 06:18:09 PM by sinc »

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
Re: ( C3D ) Draw Order not honored when creating new drawings from template
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 09:41:02 PM »
I've always gone with the plan to never trust Draworder in anything other than the drawing it is created in. I've seen the same issues just inserting blocks from files in LDT3, the only way to guarantee the block works as desired is to draw your linework over the top of the wipeout....which Erase-OOPS does the job without having to redraw it. All of my blocks have been created this way for just this reason.

sinc

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 08:00:49 AM »
I haven't noticed this problem in Land Desktop 2004, 2006, or 2007, but it's definitely a problem in C3D.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 10:52:17 AM »
I think this is related to your issue, and indicates that draw order and masking are problematic within C3D. 
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=7445159&linkID=3549480

You may find that Selecting one of these errant objects, and Right-Clicking to select similar, will let you adjust all of their DRAWORDER in one move.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sinc

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 11:13:16 AM »
I think this is related to your issue, and indicates that draw order and masking are problematic within C3D.

No, that's a different issue.  We haven't run into that one yet, since we started working with 2007, but we might run into it if we get any C3D 2006 drawings from others...

The issue I'm posting about involves blocks.  When a new drawing is created from a template, all blocks in the template lose the Draw Order for all objects inside the blocks.  This means that if the block contains a wipeout, the wipeout must be drawn first, then the rest of the contents of the block can be drawn on top of the wipeout.  Simply using "Move to back" or "Move to front" to rearrange the display order doesn't work.

drizzt

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 05:13:09 PM »
Have you tried to copy the object that is supposed to be on top of the wipeout instead of using the draw order. This will put it on top.