Author Topic: ( C3D ) unable to create points  (Read 7361 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
( C3D ) unable to create points
« on: January 16, 2007, 09:40:33 AM »
I had a drawing this morning that I couldn't create points in. I setup a new label style and group and changed the point settings to use the new style as default. That wasn't working so I reset everything back to the standard point label style, still no good! I ended up going to a backup of the dwg then creating the new points. I don't know what I could have changed to make the program not create points. It wasn't giving me any type of errors but there was no points being created in the dwg.

<rant>
I don't know how you guys work but I create a lot of points manually plus move them around for visibility reasons. The system they have just isn't working for me, it's to dang slow! Every time I grab a points handle it takes seconds before I can move it, then the screen blinks other points magically appear while others disappear. Sorry adesk but the dynamic block type point groups ain't getting the job done for me.
</rant>
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
Re: ( C3D ) unable to create points
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 04:06:47 PM »
Hi Mark,
Any possibility of sending me the drawing that you couldn't insert points into?

As for your rant, I've heard that too many times to not think that the guys in N.H. aren't doing something about it.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 05:34:52 PM »
Hi Mark,
Any possibility of sending me the drawing that you couldn't insert points into?

Sure ... sending you the file shouldn't be a problem, I'll pass it your way in the AM.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 11:11:34 AM »
OK, I got your drawing and sure enough I couldn't add points. So I started looking at the settings and see that the next point number is set to 7021, but there is already a point 7021 in the drawing. So I go to Toolspace->Settings->Point->Edit Feature Settings->Next Point Number and change that to 7022, Apply & Close. I can now add points.

I just tried to duplicate this in a new drawing. I set 3 points, 1-3, then attempted to change the Next Point Number setting to 3 and I got a warning message that the "Point number must be unique". I tried to do the same in your drawing and got the same warning.

So, I don't know how you got to that point, where the next # matched an existing number. Nor do I know why C3D didn't see that and automatically increment the Next Point Number value. But it can be worked around if you run into this in the future.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 11:44:10 AM »
Thank you Jeff.

I know I changed the "Next Point Number" a couple of times, must have missed it by 1.

dgreble

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 12:02:13 PM »
Mark,
I wanted to ask if this was in C3D 2006 or can the next point number now be specified in C3D 2007?
Thank you

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 12:17:51 PM »
Mark,
I wanted to ask if this was in C3D 2006 or can the next point number now be specified in C3D 2007?
Thank you

No I'm using C3D '07 and yes, you can specify the "next point number" as Jeff described.

dgreble

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 02:41:32 PM »
Mark,
Thanks for the tip.  Not to beat a dead horse but why can't this be done in the "create points" anymore?  Just wondering.
Thanks

sinc

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 03:22:36 PM »
Mark,
Thanks for the tip.  Not to beat a dead horse but why can't this be done in the "create points" anymore?  Just wondering.
Thanks

It was done by a completely brain-dead Autodesk engineer who obviously doesn't use his own product.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 03:58:12 PM »
No, sinc, tell us how you really feel about this move....  :evil:

From what I see (or, more specifically don't see) on the Autodesk.Civil3D newsgroup is that not too many folks dislike this situation. I found exactly 2 threads that dealt with not liking this setting.

Now, had I used 2006 and gotten used to it being in the Insert Points toolbar then I'd probably be complaining, too. But I only really started using C3D starting with the 2007 version.

Who knows, since this seems to be an ever changing program right now, it just may be revised again in the next release.

sinc

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 04:12:25 PM »
From what I see (or, more specifically don't see) on the Autodesk.Civil3D newsgroup is that not too many folks dislike this situation. I found exactly 2 threads that dealt with not liking this setting.

I think that might have something to do with Engineers vs. Surveyors.  We have a lot of Point Number ranges - for example, when we are creating stakeout points for curb and gutter, those points always start at Point #4000.  This simplifies many of our tasks.

Not being able to easily control the next point number is a major thorn in our side.  When 2007 first came out, it seemed as if there was NOWHERE to change the next point number.  At some point, someone posted that they had accidentally found the one place where it was still possible to change this setting, making everyone feel much better, but I still fail to see why they felt they had to move this from a useful place to an obscure, hidden place.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 10:55:41 AM »
I can reproduce this problem, the question is, can you?

Start a new dwg, add say 6 points to the dwg. Now renumber point number 6 to 7. Try and create a point. Does it work? It doesn't on mine. It looks like it is, echoing the coordinates to the command line but I get no points in the dwg.

Code: [Select]
Please specify a location for the new point: N: 64.6598'   E: 21.6275'
Please specify a location for the new point: N: 65.4349'   E: 49.2835'
Please specify a location for the new point: N: 64.1431'   E: 72.8041'

sinc

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 11:37:50 AM »
I can reproduce this problem, the question is, can you?

Start a new dwg, add say 6 points to the dwg. Now renumber point number 6 to 7. Try and create a point. Does it work? It doesn't on mine. It looks like it is, echoing the coordinates to the command line but I get no points in the dwg.

Looks like you've nailed it.  Time to file another bug report with Autodesk.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 11:55:10 AM »
Thanks for the testing sinc. I knew I wasn't losing my mind when I started this thread. :-)

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 12:17:04 PM »
Yep, duplicated and reported to the design team.