Author Topic: Help in creating entity(?) with DXF codes  (Read 8089 times)

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
Help in creating entity(?) with DXF codes
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2004, 02:52:39 PM »
Michael,
I spoke with Chad a couple of months ago. New work on Sharplisp was held untill the ObjectDCL 3.0 was issued, and that has now happened. I noticed Chad has a new File Viewer on his site which looks interesting too.

In my opinion Sharplisp is not yet a finished product. That being said, I found it quite easy to work with and got some good results. Some of the lisp constructs are very difficult to translate simply due to their nature. Lambda and mapcar come to mind. Considering his limited funding and the enormity of the project I am full of admiration for him. I will be very interested in seeing the next version.

Study wise, I am putting a lot of effort into C# at the monent ... or as much as my old head can handle. To a certain extent I am anticipating what will be in the next release of Acad.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2004, 02:53:35 PM »
Why (vlax-release-object new_line) in each loop cycle ????

based on what I understand about releasing objects, this would would be the right thing to do. that is after creating the new object it should be released. that is also true for editing an object. of course this my interpretation of what i've read. I could be _very_ wrong!
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2004, 02:58:22 PM »
Mark,

nope. I dont believe they need to be released. If they were references to Excel or Access or External Objects  referenced via (vla-getinterfaceobject .. then yes.

So the (setq  new_line .....  could also be removed.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2004, 03:26:59 PM »
these are all based on your stuff Kerry

kwb_speedtest4a
don't have time for this one today!

kwb_speedtest4a
don't have time for this one today!

kwb_speedtest2

kwb_speedtest2a

kwb_speedtest2b

kwb_speedtest1a

kwb_speedtest1b

machine specs
http://www.theswamp.org/swamp.files/mark/cpuz.htm
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2004, 03:31:25 PM »
Quote from: Jeff Mishler

And I have yet to see where (entmake) is faster than (vlax-invoke addWhatever)

Ok, so as I was typing that I sadi to myself "Self, you haven't actually tested this, it's based on the poramming aspect, so why are you subjecting yourself to the possible results."

To which I responded: "Naw, it's probably not that big a deal anyway....."

Thanks, Kerry and Mark for the enlightenment.

Now for the next logical question....Why such a drastic difference? Even after running the different benches it seems like an Erase/slect/return takes longer on the lines that were created with activex.......

Jeff

SMadsen

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2004, 03:59:32 PM »
*I'm not gonna say anything*  :)

Nice tests, Kerry and Mark

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2004, 08:16:17 AM »
Quote from: Kerry Brown
Michael,
I spoke with Chad a couple of months ago. New work on Sharplisp was held untill the ObjectDCL 3.0 was issued, and that has now happened. I noticed Chad has a new File Viewer on his site which looks interesting too.

In my opinion Sharplisp is not yet a finished product. That being said, I found it quite easy to work with and got some good results. Some of the lisp constructs are very difficult to translate simply due to their nature. Lambda and mapcar come to mind. Considering his limited funding and the enormity of the project I am full of admiration for him. I will be very interested in seeing the next version.

Study wise, I am putting a lot of effort into C# at the monent ... or as much as my old head can handle. To a certain extent I am anticipating what will be in the next release of Acad.
Thank you Kerry. As I vaguely recall I had come to somewhat similar conclusions after perusing the SharpLisp on-line documentation. It is an interesting product, and Chad certainly is a hard working, intellligent programmer. I wish him and his endeavors much luck and success, but for now SharpLisp sits in my undecided folder.

I used C# for my last project at university. I like it most of it; pretty clean syntax, probably the most elegant language I've coded in. I don't care for the verbose way they implemented properties though. Nonetheless, your crystal ball is functioning pretty well I think - investing in C# is probably not a bad way to go, certainly in the bigger picture too (outside the AutoCAD customization world). Still, I'm leaning towards C++.NET ... at the end of the day, there are still some things that can only be done using said language ... and I prefer it's syntax, as cryptic as it is sometimes. Now if I could just find the time to seriously knuckle down and pound the books & keys ...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Kerry :)

Michael.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst