Author Topic: Bending a plate  (Read 12292 times)

Josh Nieman

Re: Bending a plate
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 09:32:16 AM »
I forgot to say that the plate is 3/8" thick.

What is the drawing going to be used for?  Are you making a flat drawing to be cut and formed into a desired shape?  Are you just GIVEN the flat and told to form it in such ways?

That's MUCH more important that a simple problem modeling the fillets...

BUMBLEBEE

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 09:50:17 AM »
It is an actual part to be used in a weldment. The piece itself has been made before from a 2D drawing. I am trying to model it in vanilla autocad and put everything into a 3D assembly. Really not required, but kind of nice to have. I have learned a lot from this site and figured that if it is possible to do the model, someone here would know how.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 10:13:41 AM »
It is an actual part to be used in a weldment. The piece itself has been made before from a 2D drawing. I am trying to model it in vanilla autocad and put everything into a 3D assembly. Really not required, but kind of nice to have. I have learned a lot from this site and figured that if it is possible to do the model, someone here would know how.

I gather from your info that you have the flat blank known, and the formed part is not so known, and that the fabricators just 'make it work' and it 'has worked for years' so it shouldn't change in their eyes.  I used to work for a place that had a lot of historical part designs that weren't great... they were something rigged up in the shop and then just made the same way ever since, just because it 'worked' but I want you to keep in mind that revising old parts can often lead to drastically reduced welding times and therefore costs.  Eliminating welding in any job will make the biggest difference.

With that said, I am attaching the following file.. it's not made to the dimensions you supplied, because... well it's just quicker to sketch the geometry for illustration's sake.  Look what I did each step, I copied the part over every time I used a command to show a 'step by step'

Without knowing the Inside Radius of your bend, though, I just made it as an impossibly tight bend... rotating the bend flanges right on the bend line... in reality the steel is going to stretch a surprising amount with a radius probably between 3/8" and 1/2" or even greater, depending on the dies used (if you're using a brake press... if you're torching and bending in a jig... it could be anything... if it's a folding machine... uh... dunno)

Let me know if you have any questions.

SDETERS

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 10:47:53 AM »
Try this file

Please rename it to an sat extension from dxf  I can not upload sat files

Please tell me if you can open it or not

Thanks

BUMBLEBEE

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 11:07:34 AM »
Josh: You didn't attach the file.

Sdeters: I was unable to open the file even after changing the extension.

SDETERS

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 11:08:18 AM »
Crude did anybody else have any luck on opening the file?  Try this file  Please rename extension  to sat

I tried an early version of the sat translator

Thanks

« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 11:14:32 AM by SDETERS »

Josh Nieman

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2007, 11:25:33 AM »
Josh: You didn't attach the file.

Sdeters: I was unable to open the file even after changing the extension.

haha sorry... busy morning... here ye be

BUMBLEBEE

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 11:58:24 AM »
Sorry Shane & Josh, I am unable to open either of your files. Not sure why.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2007, 12:13:38 PM »
Sorry Shane & Josh, I am unable to open either of your files. Not sure why.

I think I forgot to save it down when I wblock'd out the stuff.

Here's an update.

Cavediver

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2007, 12:27:12 PM »
Crude did anybody else have any luck on opening the file?  Try this file  Please rename extension  to sat
I tried an early version of the sat translator
Thanks
It opened fine for me, so here's a .dwg file of that .sat

BUMBLEBEE

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2007, 12:36:46 PM »
Thanks Josh. I got it to open. I understand what you did and it seems to be the way to do it in autocad.

Thank you Sdeters (and Cavediver too).

Really appreciate the top notch and timely help. It seems to be the standard on this site.

Cavediver

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 01:10:40 PM »
I played around with it in SolidWorks, but there were more variables in the settings than I know what to do with.  I wound up with some nice looking parts, but I have no idea if they were accurate.  At least I learned something new today.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2007, 11:55:22 AM »
I played around with it in SolidWorks, but there were more variables in the settings than I know what to do with.  I wound up with some nice looking parts, but I have no idea if they were accurate.  At least I learned something new today.

When I was using Solidworks in school, and when I was using the demo of a more current Solidworks and Inventor when my last company looked to me for advice on which to buy... I found Solidworks equaled Inventor in almost every way... it was 100% accurate, just as any Autocad drawing would be... as long as it's drawn right.  Yes, it's a more pictorial environment if you're not in 'sketch' mode (well... even if you are, somewhat) but it's nicer for designers that way.  You can better see reality and conflicts in a more natural way, I think.

Anyways... tangent over.