Author Topic: Old style printing  (Read 2679 times)

mohobrien

Old style printing
« on: December 22, 2006, 10:51:47 AM »
Back in the day (1980's) very few of us had a wide format printer let alone a plotter and we would often print our drawings on 8.5x11 pages in panels and tape them together after. Not pretty but it worked.
Today, I produce property parcel maps for the mineral exploration industry and most of these are in the 36x36 size range. These are available to our clients on the web as DWF files. But as you can't plot these exactly to scale, we have decided to make these available as PDF as well. However we still haven't addressed the problem that most of our clients don't have plotters or access to them. Now, here's the question: Are there still utilities for printing say a plt or pdf file in panels on a printer? I did a quick search of the web and couldn't find any. Suggestions?

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
Re: Old style printing
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 02:21:48 PM »
Not a direct answer, but most blueprint shops these days have at least one wide format printer. It's pretty cheap to send to them and have it delivered.

However, if you must print on letter size sheets......I don't know if AdobeReader has this option but the full AdobeAcrobat does, when you go to print and the dialog comes up, under the Page Handling section you can select Tile Large Pages. It will even place crop marks for easy lining up later.

pmvliet

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 02:23:05 PM »
However, if you must print on letter size sheets......I don't know if AdobeReader has this option but the full AdobeAcrobat does, when you go to print and the dialog comes up, under the Page Handling section you can select Tile Large Pages. It will even place crop marks for easy lining up later.

I did not know that... [ off to look at that feature]

pieter

CADaver

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 12:57:54 PM »
These are available to our clients on the web as DWF files. But as you can't plot these exactly to scale,
Why not??  I haven't had any trouble.

http://dwf.blogs.com/beyond_the_paper/2006/08/publishing_dwf_.html