Poll

Given a 3000 SF, two-story house designed on paper; how long would it take you to create CD's on cad? Vanilla or otherwise.

< 1 week
1 (20%)
1 week
1 (20%)
< 2 weeks
1 (20%)
> two weeks
1 (20%)
Other
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: TimeFrame  (Read 3905 times)

daron

TimeFrame
« on: December 16, 2006, 11:04:14 AM »
I'm asking this question because I know someone who says he draws full CD's by hand in 3 days. This is after all design work is done. Therefore I'd assume that his elevations are also complete or near completion.

What I mean by full CD's is Title sheet, floor plans, elevations, details (fireplace, etc.), sections, roof plan, not framing; except floor trusses (second level), electrical. No mechanical or engineering needed.

• Bull Frog
Re: TimeFrame
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 07:29:35 AM »
I am working on a house of approx 5200sf. Working from hand drawn drawings of plans sections and elevations (sketches) I would expect to spend 100 to 130 hours (17 days) on producing enough information for a contractor to fully price for tender. This is using a mix of ADT and plain ACad. This would include plans and elevations at 1:50, 4 or 5 sections at 1:25, details at 1:5, full specification, drainage design. But no electrical or mechanical details.
Alastair Mallett Autodesk Certified Professional
Technical Director
Hunters South Architects

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 08:38:17 AM »
If all the design and sketching is done......

2 to 3 days.  Of course everyone's version of complete con docs is different.  And I guess it would depend on the house also.  Size doesn't matter as much as detail.  Probably the other difference for me is that I work for the company that builds them so there are some details that I don't have to do as they are standard.

I work in 3d.  Elevations are generated from the floor plans with maybe a half hour clean up /view depending on how much time I spend on the model itself.

Dilbert

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 08:50:30 AM »
Oh, you've hit a topic I'm an expert in...

Background:

I was a draftsman for over three years for a residential designer that did all his work by hand while I did CD's on the computer. (I've also done nearly 5 years of work with other residential designers). You'll find your answers will vary depending on what a full set of CD's actually is.

There are two kinds of homeplans (once you take mechanical and engineering out)... the basics and the detailed. The detailed tend to be your typical heavy duty/articulated set. They show every detail and go to great pains to articulate how every part of the building should go together. They leave no questions, they say "this is the design" and are wonderful should there be any questions.

Then there is the "basic set". This is just enough to get permit and the contractor needs to have a good construction knowledge to actually build fom them. This set can take anywhere from 2 days to two weeks depending on just how many details/etc. need to be created from scratch. For myself I could turn it around in about 3 days since I used a lot of standard details that could apply to many homes.

In short: In Revit (with all the typical details already drawn) I've seen homes this size completed in just 2 days! Draw it out in about 4 hours; a couple basic sections in 4 hours w/ perhaps a detail of two drawn as well; plans noted/dimensioned in less than a day and then start dropping in the pre-done generic building sections and details. Yes, its very basic but this is likely the same process he does by hand.

daron

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 10:33:22 AM »
Thanks everyone. Very helpful information.