Author Topic: ( C3D ) Sending Files to LDD Users (aka Death of "ByLayer")  (Read 2562 times)

sinc

( C3D ) Sending Files to LDD Users (aka Death of "ByLayer")
« on: November 24, 2006, 11:40:17 AM »
OK, after playing around with C3D for a while, I've basically given up on the idea of trying to give "ByLayer" drawings to LDD users.

Basically, it appears that entities inside of C3D objects ALWAYS have their object properties set to values from the style.  The style might have something like Lineweight set to" ByLayer", but the entities that are placed in the drawing have the Lineweight set explicitly.

For example, say we've configured things for our alignments to be drawn on a layer named "ALIGN".  The lineweight of the ALIGN layer is set to 0.50mm.  In our style, we have the Lineweight for alignment lines and curves set to "ByLayer".

If we export that alignment to LDD, we end up with a bunch of lines and curves on the ALIGN layer.  But if we start selecting lines and curves and look at their Properties, we'll see that each entity has its lineweight set to 0.50, and NOT to "ByLayer".  If we go back to the Civil-3D drawing, change the lineweight of the ALIGN layer to 0.35mm, and re-export the drawing, we will now find that all the individual lines and curves have their lineweights set to 0.35mm.

Everything basically works, and "ByLayer" in the Style DOES mean something, it just doesn't mean the obvious thing.  So, it seems that no matter what, exporting a drawing to LDD will yield drawings where NOTHING is ByLayer.  However, I'm beginning to think this might not be THAT bad...

I've reached the point where I basically just try to get important things onto specific layers, but other than that, I'm not worrying about getting a "clean", ByLayer drawing to an LDD user.  The user will have the Project info as an XML dump.  So other than that, I'm just trying to make sure that important linework goes on some layer other than Layer 0.  I'm trying to avoid giving the LDD user a mess with everything on Layer 0, but I've given up on the idea of creating a ByLayer drawing.  This is something the engineer will just have to get used to.

This probably isn't really that big a deal.  In general, when people receive drawings from others, the first thing they do is pull out the pieces they're interested in and change them to their local standards.  So it may not even be that different.  And since a lot of times, our design surveys can basically just be used as a "background", engineers using LDD may even want to just get used to attaching our drawings as XREF's, and not touching them at all.  (They can get all the project info from the XML dump.)  If the fact that we use Named Plot Styles confuses them, then they might want to convert the drawings to DWF, and use a DWF underlay instead.  In any case, they should be able to find something that works.

I started off trying to get things like Station Labels to go to their own layers, and all that sort of old Land Desktop logic.  Then I would make sure that the layer properties for each layer were set correctly.  That way, when the engineer got our drawing, he could just change everything to "ByLayer", and it would still look somewhat right.  But it's a LOT more work trying to configure C3D that way, and turns everything into a convoluted mess.  After thinking about things for a while, I decided it probably wasn't worth the effort.  It seems that, usually, when people receive drawings from others, they pull out only the pieces they are interested in.  Then they convert those pieces to their own standards anyway, so they look right in their drawings.  So I've been deciding that it's pointless effort to try to get exported files to look like my old drawings I used to produce in LDD, with every entity on a specific, dedicated Layer and every object property set to "ByLayer".  It seems the designers of C3D have decided to abandon this method of using layers, so they failed to build support for it into C3D.  Therefore, because it requires fighting the software and has limited value, it doesn't seem like a very worthwhile task.

So now, I'm basically only trying to avoid getting everything on Layer 0.  (Ideally, I'll end up with drawings that have NOTHING on Layer 0, since Layer 0 doesn't work like other layers in XREFs.)  Other than that, I'm primarily concerned with the Styles, and not concerning myself much with the Layers or Layer Settings.   LDD users will just have to get used to receiving drawings where NOTHING is ByLayer, at least until they switch to C3D.

At least, that's the way it looks to me so far...

Note that I think this will work for us, because we are a survey firm who sends stuff to engineers.  I think there's a bit more of a mess for Engineering firms who work in C3D, and need to convert to LDD to send to Surveyors.  For example, arcs in Feature Lines come into Land Desktop as a bunch of little tiny line segments.  This isn't much of an issue for design surveys, which tend to have stuff like that in them anyway, but I suspect it will cause trouble for surveyors who need to do construction staking.  I haven't taken any time to really explore that part, though, since it doesn't apply to us.

jpostlewait

Re: ( C3D ) Sending Files to LDD Users (aka Death of "ByLayer")
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 05:27:20 PM »
Just a couple things sinc.

>> Therefore, because it requires fighting the software and has limited value, it doesn't seem like a very worthwhile task.<<

Wow that was quick.
Funny how long time users have had layer control beaten into them repeatedly have a hard time seeing this.
Layer control just ain't what it used to be.

Has it dawned on you yet that any drawing you send out will make your styles available to the recipient?
Just dawned on us a little while ago.
We have a LOT of time and money tied up in developing ours and the nifty little drag and drop style feature hit us.
We are really thinking of saving everything back to 2004 format before sending any files out. Maybe even live with DWF and like it.

If I understand your spot in the business correctly that's probably not an option. But as you get into style development keep this in mind.

Dinosaur

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 06:33:13 PM »
We do not send drawings out very often and I intend to reduce any we do send down to primitives and convert them to layers that make sense with everything bylayer myself before it is sent.  The collaboration issues are not a problem for me.  What is a problem is keeping the drawing so my engineer can work on it  without going postal.  His not being able to pick an object to identify or freeze by its layer is still very nearly a deal breaker for us using Civil 3D.  I am comfortable with the idea of controlling visibility by style even though I do see some problems working with xrefs with that method myself.

sinc

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 12:38:22 AM »
Has it dawned on you yet that any drawing you send out will make your styles available to the recipient?
Just dawned on us a little while ago.
We have a LOT of time and money tied up in developing ours and the nifty little drag and drop style feature hit us.
We are really thinking of saving everything back to 2004 format before sending any files out. Maybe even live with DWF and like it.

Yes, that occurred to me.  I'm abivalent about it, though.  It bugs me a little bit, but I'm not so sure I care too much.  I've been going through and setting up a lot of styles, and it's a tedious task, but it isn't particularly difficult.  I ran into strange behaviroral quirks and gaps in C3D from time to time - like quirks in the way Point Group layers affect Point visibility,  no way to enable linetype generation for Survey Figures, etc.  And I ran into some issues that are flat-out bugs, such as problems with Plot Style (we use Named Plot Styles), "$+" works like "$*" in description key format codes, etc.  But all in all, I was largely just taking the corny defaults Autodesk put in the software and modifying them.  Nothing top-secret.

There's enough in there that's specific to my company that it would still be a lot of work for someone to take them and clean out all our stuff, and change it to their stuff.  Basically, regardless of whether they start from one of my drawings or one from Autodesk, they still have a lot of work.  They would probably save some time starting from mine, but mostly because they wouldn't have to fix some of the bonehead Autodesk defaults.  For example, for some reason Autodesk set all the labels to thousandths of a foot and hundredths of a second in angle, which are precisions that aren't commonly-used; and they configure everything to orient to World, so nothing rotates with the view, etc.  I have no idea why they make those the defaults.  I'm happy to save someone else the effort of repeating that task.

I have spent a lot of time on setting up styles, though.  For example, I discovered the benefit of making all symbols 1 drawing unit in height.  Then in the Point Style, I can key in the exact size of the symbol as it should appear on paper, and it will always come out the same size.  I can just say "make this Point symbol 0.25 inches big when it plots on paper", and it is very simple.  Unfortunately, our existing blocks are not a uniform 1 du in size.  So I started going through our old block library, converting them to all be 1 du in height, so that they all work the same in Point Styles.  I've also been renaming them, starting with ZZ characters, so blocks that are part of our symbol library appear at the end of the list in the Block Editor.  Someone who got one of my drawings could use the blocks, instead of doing all that cleanup.  So they would be able to take free advantage of my labors, and it's taking quite a bit of time to do all this.

But most of this is painful, redundant work.  To a large extent, I kind of feel that if I save someone else some of the effort, then that's a GOOD thing.  They'll still have a ton of work to get my styles to look the way they want them to look.  And if the companies we work with on a regular basis start using C3D in basically the same way as we do because they start with copies of our styles, well then that will just make it easier for us to deal with their files.  Unless they dumb them down to DWF or Autocad 2004 format or something like that, of course...   :-D  If we get a C3D drawing from an engineer, we can spray points down feature lines and do the construction staking very easily.  If we get a DWF or DWG with flattened and exploded linework, we're back in the same old boat as before...

And then of course there's the fact that Autodesk has actually released better styles OOTB with each version.  So it's always possible that they'll reach the point where they give out enough free with the software that other companies won't care much that they see all your styles in the drawings they get.  They'll just be one more "example" to use when creating their own styles.  It's always possible that they'll be more annoyed by how hard it is to change everything to THEIR styles, and purge all of YOURS out of the drawing...    :-)

All in all, I see incredible value in receiving drawings that contain all those styles, with all their descriptions.  And not because I would be interested in stealing or co-opting the styles - I doubt I would want to use any of them myself (I've already mostly-developed a full set of styles of my own).  But if we get a model that is completely self-annotated (by someone who knows how to enter meaningful descriptions), then it should be very easy to figure out what everything is, unlike some of the stuff we see today.  It won't matter that the other company has different standards, and never again should I need to find myself trying to figure out what layer "4" is.  And since they are (hopefully) creating a full 3D model, we won't have to deal with engineers who "hack" a design together with contours that don't match spot elevations, etc.  So I'm willing to eat a little bit of time in exchange for receiving better electronic files, that are easier to understand, easier to use, have less chance of creating error, increase turn-around time and allow us to be more-responsive to our clients, etc.

One of the things that I like less is that, now that Autodesk has piled almost everything into the DWG, we have a copy of our entire symbol library in every drawing.  I know that the gigabyte is getting cheap, but isn't that a bit ridiculous?    :|

I've come up with a bunch of styles that seem to work pretty well, though, at least in my first "pilot" project.  I basically stopped worrying too much about how layers will look to Land Desktop users for the AEC objects like Points, Alignments, Sufaces, etc.  These all come into Land Desktop as dumb, unusable blocks anyway.  So I created those styles in such a way that they are easy-to-use for us, and still produce something that can be plotted in Land Desktop.  Land Desktop users will just have to get used to having some aspects of my drawings look like "pretty pictures".  They can load all of those items from the XML export, though, so they can always create the Land Desktop equivalent of the C3D points, surfaces, alignments, etc., from the XML.  Anything that's created from Survey Figures goes on dedicated layers, so much of the linework is still spread out onto layers for them, although it would probably be easier for me if I just sprayed them all onto a single layer (or a small set of layers)...

I've got my FBK imports working, points are flying in, figures are self-generating, and I am having fun...  The models look so good in 3D I'm thinking we might want to try generating a rendered isometric view, just to see what we can manage...  I'm looking forward to the day I can finally retire Land Desktop for good.  I don't think that day will be very far away.   8-)

sinc

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 09:08:40 PM »

You know, there's a relatively simple way to partially address your issue, and at the same time address my issue, if the Autodesk Gods so chose...

It would involve retaining a reference to the Drawing Template (which I'll call DWT) used to create the new drawing (DWG).  When the user first creates DWG from DWT, the standard "stuff" does not get copied into DWG.  C3D Styles, Text Styles, Dimstyles, Blocks, Linetypes, basically EVERYTHING resides only in DWT.

Then Proxy entities are created for all the "stuff" in DWT.  The Proxy entities do not get saved in DWG, but they appear in the UI and are "available for use".  Then, the first time the user tries to actually use an item, it gets converted to a real item in DWG.  It is at this point that the REAL item (and all accompanying items, such as layers, etc.) are actually copied from the DWT into DWG.

This would have a lot of benefits.  Only items that get used in DWG would end up in DWG; anything that didn't get used in DWG would never get copied out of DWT.  If the user runs a command that causes a layer to be created automatically, the layer would be created using the layer settings in DWT, rather than with the default white/continuous/defaultlineweight.  And only symbols that got used would be copied into DWG.

Net result is that only the stuff that got used in a drawing would get sent to a client.  The client wouldn't get your entire style library.  And DWG sizes would be somewhat smaller.