Author Topic: ( C3D ) Style Names  (Read 3059 times)

sinc

( C3D ) Style Names
« on: November 23, 2006, 10:25:16 AM »
How are people naming their Styles?

From my previous Autocad experience, I'm assuming that I want to leave all the Standard styles alone (don't delete, don't use), and create my own.  In the past, we've generally used a couple of letters (our company initials) as a prefix.  I'm assuming we should do the same in C3D...?

Has anyone tried sharing a C3D drawing with another company yet?  Do the same issues exist with Styles as with other Autocad entities?  For example, in the past, creating Text Styles with simple names like "TITLE" could cause problems with drawings from others, because the others also defined a text style named "TITLE" that was different.  This could cause strange behavior when blocking items between drawings.  The easy workaround is to name everything with slightly-less-than-normal names, like "EJTITLE" in our case.  Chances of another company having a Text Style named "EJTITLE" are a lot lower.

I'm assuming all these basic CAD "good idea" are still good ideas with C3D Styles?  In particular, I'm guessing we want to keep the old rule of "Never use a 'Standard' style, but also never delete the 'Standard' style."

Would everyone agree?  Are C3D styles like Text Styles and Dimstyles, in that you get yourself into trouble if you delete the 'Standard' styles provided by Autodesk?

Dinosaur

Re: ( C3D ) Style Names
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 02:11:52 PM »
You seem to be using sound protocol sinc.  I also NEVER use, modify or delete the Civil 3D "Standard" styles or any of the other named styles provided in the templates.  The named styles provided have the NCS layer names embedded which is OK if you are using them but a hassle if not.  We are not so I started  out with a making a copy of the standard equivalent I wanted and built from there.  My naming convention also starts with the company name, but I also throw an underscore at the front to force these to the top of a list of choices.  After the company name, you should be as descriptive as possible with the name.  With Civil 3D you also have the ability to throw in a descriptive comment about your style where you can identify specific things about the style.  I give the composer's name, date of creation, what the style is to express for the data and if it is universal or client/municipality specific.  There is a lot of free space in there that if used can eliminate a lot of confusion down the line.

sinc

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 10:42:32 PM »
Yeah, there should be no logical reason to keep the old Standard styles in there, after the user creates custom styles.  But after my experience with other Autodesk products, I'm a bit afraid to delete them...

Maybe later, after we have everything working right, I'll try messing around, and see if deleting them causes any issues.  Until then, I'll just leave them alone and let them sit there and clutter things up.  That's safer.   :-D

Dinosaur

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 10:48:09 PM »
The only thing I can think of the "standard" style is useful for is as the seed for a new style.  If "standard" was not available, I am not sure what the program would provide as the seed - probably this would still be the same but one can never tell.

jpostlewait

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 05:38:48 PM »
I think the only thing that loads is what is contained in your template.
Be sure and go into options and change the default template to what you develop and that should be all that loads.

But of course be careful that something is available.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 05:56:50 PM »
Opening an old drawing from LDT in C3D results in new "Standard" styles being created for every style type there is......

Edit the Standard Point Style, including it's name, so that you only have 1 style. Save, Close, ReOpen you will now have 2 Point Styles....Standard and the one you renamed.......so it appears the program ensures it always has the Standard style, whether you want it or not.

Dinosaur

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 06:36:13 PM »
I think this is the program loading up acad.dwt by default.  By changing the default template in settings may change this behavior.

MMccall

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 07:23:38 PM »
Another approach to the 'Standard' styles ....

Edit them in your template drawing, including their name, into the most common style settings you'd use for the given style.  This might save some time in chasing down all the locations that use 'standard
 as the default style to use when creating or labelling an item.

I didn't do it this way when I set my stuff up by now I kinda wish I did.  I don't know how much time I spent looking for the locations of where a default style name was buried just to replace 'standard' with my own style.  It would have been easier just to edit the style and leave stuff like command settings along.  Although it was a good exercise in finding were stuff is stored.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 12:50:50 PM »
Opening an old drawing from LDT in C3D results in new "Standard" styles being created for every style type there is......

Edit the Standard Point Style, including it's name, so that you only have 1 style. Save, Close, ReOpen you will now have 2 Point Styles....Standard and the one you renamed.......so it appears the program ensures it always has the Standard style, whether you want it or not.

I think I am reading this correctly....Opening an LDT drawing with C3D.  This is a Process one should NOT engage in
at any time.  The preferred method, would be to Export the LDT project data with XML and then import that data into C3D.
Or, one could import the Desc key file from the land project, import the land project TIN under the surfaces collection, and utilize a MAP query of the old land drawing to get the 'linework' out of it into your C3D file. and Then finish off with design
center to pull in your Layout tabs and you will be fast on your way to having a working migration of the LDT project into a
functioning C3D file.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 02:13:25 PM »
Sorry, Michael, I was not advocating that method of moving drawings forward. I was merely pointing out that opening an older drawing in C3D automagically creates the Standard styles in that drawing. Same thing holds true if you start a new drawing with the standard Acad.dwt.