Author Topic: New Puter  (Read 6749 times)

sinc

Re: New Puter
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2006, 09:41:02 PM »
Well, all the pieces for the new computer arrived on Tuesday, but I was in the middle of a big project.  So the boxes just sat there, taking up lots of space in my office...

We got the project done, and so I finally got to work on the new machine today.  I had to go pull a floppy out of one of the other machines, because I didn't buy one, and then discovered I needed one in order to install the RAID.  (How archaic... :-))

Haven't gotten to the point of installing Autodesk software yet - I'll do that tomorrow.  But I've never seen Windows install so fast...  System startup and shutdown are very quick.  Prognosis is for shattered eardrums, from one screaming machine...   :lol:

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2006, 10:03:23 PM »
Green with envy! :-P

OK, how just many seconds does it take for windows to start up?
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

LE

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2006, 11:37:44 PM »

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2006, 07:56:31 AM »
Nice picture Luis.

Just how wide is that wide screen? :-o

And what resolution are you using?

Fish

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2006, 09:38:49 AM »
I gave the boss the two machines I spec'd out yesterday, he didn't fall over from the price so I'm taking that as a good sign. ;-)  We'll see what happens when budgets roll around.

LE

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2006, 11:07:19 AM »
Nice picture Luis.

Just how wide is that wide screen? :-o

And what resolution are you using?

thanks  :-)

it is an acer LCD 22" - 1680 x 1050 - and now I can see what I'm writing (and doing)...  :lol: (the pc is basically what sinc mentioned in one of his post here - yes!)

sinc

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2006, 12:19:53 PM »

The Windows splash screen stays on the screen for less than five seconds...  :-)

I ran into a major problem.  Microsofts IE7 got installed as part of the updates, and now A WHOLE BUNCH OF MS/Windows STUFF IS BROKEN.  I haven't been able to figure it out yet, but Windows Update in particular is completely trashed.  Any attempt to update any Microsoft software results in a frozen IE.

Funny that Microsoft would do that to their own software...  Wonder how they plan on fixing it, with the updates broken...   :-o

I don't think it affected anything else, and I managed to get Firefox on the machine with no problem.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2006, 01:05:46 PM »
Sinc,
Sorry to hear that.

You did a clean install with the Upgrade Windows package?
Or did you do the Upgrade OVER the existing software, maybe a "Cloned Disk" thingie?

sinc

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2006, 02:33:18 PM »
Sinc,
Sorry to hear that.

You did a clean install with the Upgrade Windows package?
Or did you do the Upgrade OVER the existing software, maybe a "Cloned Disk" thingie?

I don't understand the question.

Microsoft has this "Windows Update" thing that you can run from the Control Panel or Start Menu.  It also runs automatically if you turn on Automatic Updates.  In either case, when Windows Update runs, it downloads and installs all "critical updates" from Microsoft.

IE7 has been available for a while now, but Microsoft just made it a "critical update".  If you don't have it yet, you will be prompted about it the next time you run Windows Update.

After IE7 is installed, a WHOLE BUNCH of things are broken.  There seems to be tons of posts all over the net about things that IE7 breaks.  I found one that indicates this particular problem can be traced to Active Scripting.  I added "http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com" to my "Trusted Sites" list, and sort-of got updates working.  But I still keep having tons and tons of problems with IE7.  I CONSTANTLY have to kill in in Task Manager, and basically cannot use it at all.    :ugly:

Thank goodness for Firefox.  Without that, I'd be in a world of hurt...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 02:34:40 PM by sinc »

sinc

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2006, 03:43:00 PM »
I've been discovering more about IE7.

To avoid polluting this thread anymore, I will post further IE7 updates in this thread, and leave this one for talk about Puter...

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2006, 04:06:25 PM »
Oh, i see, it wasn't the new installation but the update that got clobbered.

sinc

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2006, 05:54:30 PM »

The Windows startup isn't the most impressive thing...

Installs go FAST.  And Land Desktop and Civil-3D take less than six seconds to startup...   ^-^